Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My family and I are ready for a mini van! SO far Odyssey is above any. Were really torn between:

2017 EXL
2018 EXL
2018 Elite

My main components are the vac, and dvd player is there anything I should learn before heading to a dealership? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you’re going to go the used route look at the 2017s. You could negotiate a new 2020 for close to the cost of the used 2018s, especially if you qualify for the conquest or loyalty rebate.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,069 Posts
If you go with 2018 - go with either Touring or Elite to get the 10 speed transmission. Way better working transmission.

Reactions: karlo

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sienna. Check out Consumer Reports. Honda reliability, below average now.(n) Good luck. :)
Example. See how Honda treats, "oil dilution" settlement.:mad:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sienna. Check out Consumer Reports. Honda reliability, below average now.(n) Good luck. :)
Crash ratings are still the best for Odyssey. Sienna is outdated and doesn't fair well at all. Looks better to in my opinion and interior doesn't look like it's from 2002. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We will see how it looks for crash ratings after both new sienna and mid cycle update for Odyssey come out in 2021. It may be a different story then, but for 2020 Odyssey is the safest.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just looked up that settlement. It's for civic and CR-V.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Agree. Odyssey, Safer, if you are in crash. I was talking about "Reliability". And how Honda warranty issues are handled. (CR-V/Civic, "oil dilution" settlement, just an example of how Honda treats it's customers).

Still, driving my 2001 Odyssey. 3rd and 4th transmissions on me. (n) Great engine! :) OH, if you do not mind, DIY,
This Forum great, for fixing the many issues that surface. :) If you are not DIY, or are to busy to visit the Dealer, check out Sienna.:) Hopefully, the "new" model, will be safer, handle better, and the 8 speed transmission issue is resolved !).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had thought about a newer Odyssey but will not buy. CR says the 2018 and newer rate low in reliability, that some years are "worst minivan" and some make the "used cars to avoid list". I am sure some could say the Odyssey is perfect or they know a guy who swears Honda is perfect but CR has a larger sample size than a sample of one which should make their data more representative of many owners experiences. Some will take personal offense against anything written critical of Honda and say CR is as valid as toilet paper. However, have found CR ratings closely matched what I found with my vehicle repair experiences for good or bad, but that is just one person's anedcote. CR rates some Honda models highly so they do not have bias against Honda.
Attached images. CR trouble spots chart showing much worse than average for 2018 Odyssey. 2019 Odyssey CR worst minivan. CR cars to avoid, partial list includes 2018 Odyssey.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
From all my research, for what thats worth, the 2016 was the last of the good ones. Thats why I replaced my 2011 with a 2016 last year. You can solve any transmission worries with a transmission cooler and really good automatic transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You got CR on one end with people complaining about things that have already been addressed by recalls (RES issue and Transmission issue), you got Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) on the other side giving it top safety picks for both 2018-2019 when it comes to minivans.
I guess it just depends what's more important to you.

Reactions: karlo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello! My family and I are ready for a mini van! SO far Odyssey is above any. Were really torn between:
2017 EXL
2018 EXL
2018 Elite
My main components are the vac, and dvd player is there anything I should learn before heading to a dealership?
Just traded in my 2010 EC-L w NAV/RES Odyssey for a 2018 Odyssey Elite, just last Thursday. There's a lot to like and I have no regrets yet.. But, there is certainly room for improvement in the 2018.

I don't know if there's a similar list for 2017 or its generation.

Personally, I think DVD is fine when the kids are younger. When they want to make their own choices, it's passé. If' you have the RES, plugging a device into an HDMI port is awesome. Connect an iPhone (or Android) or laptop and play Apple TV (or Google version). Or, plug in a Fire device and play from that. Yes, wifi is needed. That can be gotten from a phone's hotspot (with unlimited subscription), or sign up for built-in AT&T wifi hotspot for Honda ($20/mth for unlimited?). Oh, and the RES has children channels built-in (still need wifi though). Or, plug in a USB on which you've downloaded movies (no wifi needed). Don't know if the EX-L comes with the HDMI port, or if 2017 come with built-in wifi.

·
Registered
241 Posts

2017 EXL
2018 EXL
2018 Elite

My main components are the vac, and dvd player is there anything I should learn before heading to a dealership? Thanks!
I have a 2019 EX-L NAV/RES and love it! 20,000mi and counting without any issues. Engine is quiet and transmission shifts like butter. I had a 2018 EX-L non NAV and it had HORRIBLE infotainment software issues and various other electrical gremlins...to the point the dealer traded straight up for the 2019 after months of service visits. Now I couldn't be happier. I put LED headlights in the halogen capsules (really the only thing I wanted on the Elite) and they are awesomely bright. We tried out the Vac on a test drive and it was okay at best and the hose barely reached the front floorboards which is where it would be used most. My thought process was: spend less on the initial purchase and get LED headlights, a portable steam cleaner and shop vac to put in the garage next to the van to vacuum out any messes or spills. I have Honda seat covers and they protect the leather very well. 3 kids for about 18,000 of the 20,000 miles and no stains I couldn't get out yet...I scotch guarded the carpets upon delivery and it seems to help a lot.

That all being said, I would purchase a certified Elite over a non-certified EXL depending on miles simply for the extended warranty offered my the CPO perks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You got CR on one end with people complaining about things that have already been addressed by recalls (RES issue and Transmission issue), you got Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) on the other side giving it top safety picks for both 2018-2019 when it comes to minivans.
I guess it just depends what's more important to you.
There is a very big difference on what CR reports on vs what the IIHS reports on!!! CR reports on full range of issues reported by their subscribers that own Odysseys, while IIHS is strictly about structural safety in a accident! I am a CR subscriber, and use their reporting to assist me in making good purchase guidence! And there are other sources availabe to consumers to guide their automotive purchases. No way would I make a automotive purchase without lots of research!

·
Registered
394 Posts
2020 EX-L ! no res, no nav. Keep it simple. With older years, ELite and Touring only due to 9 speed trans issues.
10 speed or go home :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
2017 EXL
2018 EXL
2018 Elite

Note that the Ody Elite and Touring trims have the auto idle stop "feature", but not on the lower trims. Determine whether you can live with that "feature". Many folks hate it.

Also recommend getting a 2019 instead of a 2018 Ody since Honda had a chance to improve on the 2018 Odys.

And be sure to verify that there is no engine knocking on which ever Ody you buy. Some folks had that "feature" from day one on their 2018 Ody and are still living with it a year+ later.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Note that the Ody Elite and Touring trims have the auto idle stop "feature", but not on the lower trims. Determine whether you can live with that "feature". Many folks hate it.

Also recommend getting a 2019 instead of a 2018 Ody since Honda had a chance to improve on the 2018 Odys.

And be sure to verify that there is no engine knocking on which ever Ody you buy. Some folks had that "feature" from day one on their 2018 Ody and are still living with it a year+ later.
my 2020 EXL has auto idle stop, oh you mean 2018-2019?
what changed in 2019 from 2018?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts