Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 2002 odyssey in the DC area. Any recommendations on a good dealer in this area?

In addition to the MSRP price, are there any other costs or fees that I have to pay.

Thanks.
Sangeeta

·
Registered
32 Posts
wadhwas,

Shockley Honda (your neck of the woods) will take your order at MSRP without a deposit. Ask for Mike Todd. Tell him Warren sent you.

I also have an order in at Herson's but they require a $500 deposit. The wait list is usually very long at Herson so you'll probably have better luck at Shockley or Hagerstown Honda (where a friend bought an 01 EX) if you're in a hurry.

All sell at MSRP plus maybe doc fee ($25). Good luck.

[This message has been edited by rainmanx (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check to see if the organization you work for is a member with "United Buying Service" (UBS). Prices are outstanding. For example:
2001 LX $22107
EX $24354
EX w/Nav $26151
Only thing not included is tax and tags.
Unfortunately the waiting list is quite long. An LX is 8-12 months. EX 12 months. EX w/Nav even longer. Should get shorter once new production plant get up and going.

Prices on '02s will only increase as much as the MSRP. So if MSRP goes up $1000 you can get a 2002 LX through UBS for $23107.

UBS web site is "ubs4cars.com".

Tom M

Note: I am in no way affiliated with UBS. I am just so excited because once I drive off the lot, my vehicle will be worth more than what I paid.

·
Registered
143 Posts
1. Don't waste your time with College Park Honda... too many stories...
2. Dealers in Montgomery county and Fairfax county usually have longer waiting lists.
3. Try to call several dealers to see if they would take orders (some local dealers only sell odys in hand... because they can add expensive options you don't want) and how long their waiting lists are. They usually would answer those questions over the phone. That would save your time traveling around the beltway.
4. Try dealers further away from the beltway because they probably would have shorter waiting lists.

Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Sangeeta,

We used the Drivers Choice program by the WTFCU (credit union). No deposit required.

Program as explained to us then works with various dealers (MD only). You work with a rep who will call you if one becomes available sooner, e.g., anyone ahead of you drops out.

Got our 2001 last Feb after about a 2 month wait. It is delivered to the the credit union of your choice. You can then test drive it. You have the right to refuse it if you don't like it. Our minivan came from Sport Honda.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wadhwas:
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 2002 odyssey in the DC area. Any recommendations on a good dealer in this area?

In addition to the MSRP price, are there any other costs or fees that I have to pay.

Thanks.
Sangeeta
</font>
I've tried just about every dealer in and outside the dc metro area. I found the further out you went prices went higher, ie. Fredericksburg, Warrenton, Woodbridge. I have only found a couple of dealerships selling at MSRP , 1) Koons honda in Manassas... msrp plus $249 processing fee 2)Pohanka Honda in Md. is msrp plus $25 processing fee. speak to Victor internet sales manager tell him customer with initials AA sent you, he'll know who i am, since i have a 2002 on order.

I originally ordered a 2001 EX and I had it changed to a 2002 GG EX, put a refundable $500 down and have first right of refusal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi!

We've been researching an Ody and DC dealers for a while now.

I have one on order through Shockley in Frederick, who frankly seems the most ethical. No deposit until they have a car coming in for you-- as in it is built. Only problem is they aren't giving me a timetable! (Again, they are ethical and aren't telling me what they don't know).

Herson's told me last night that the wait is Dec/Jan. They want $500.00 refundable deposit.

Coleman (Clarksville) charges a few thousand over MSRP and another dealer told me they sell Canadian cars w/o warranty (whatever that means!) (I've noticed dealers love to trash each other!)

College Park-- the dealer is breathing down my throat, wants $1000 deposit and got kind of huffy when asked if it was refundable. Claims to have specific 2002 cars/models/colors coming in. I talked to Honda Customer Relations today, they said that a dealer wouldn't know exactly what colors/models he was getting yet. College Park does claim availability for next month/October. I don't get a good feeling and will probably pass on this dealer. Oh, only 1 salesman @ CP Honda deals with the Ody. We went on Saturday, at least 6 salesman were hanging around smoking, and we were told we had to wait behind 5 families before we could talk to the salesman. Didn't help their cause. (The above replies comments about "stories" is intriguing and helps my decision to bypass this "Opportunity".)

I've called most other local (Montgomery County) dealers and wasn't much encouraged. I think I'll stick with Shockley and we're going to look at a Caravan (again) this weekend. I WANT AN ODYSSEY, but this process is driving me buggy.

I currently drive a 6 passenger 95 Odyssey which I loved till my kids grew and carpools with soccer players increased. I need a 7th seat now!

I need encouragment to wait--- I might be in a Caravan this weekend!

Sue

------------------
sbg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good News! I have to talked to Shockley since my last post, and he estimates that I'll get my car in October! We're going to hold tight to Odyssey till then..I can wait 2 months....

So far Shockley has been the most pleasant DC area dealer to deal with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like to second wantanody. Stay away from Coleman Honda (Clarksville) and College Park Honda! Both try to add on dealer options to increase their profits. Even if you pre-order, it will be risky getting one without any. If you're in a hurry, then I guess you have no choice. Coleman seems to have a lot of Canadian Odys and will push these if they don't have any US Odys in stock.

I'm dealing with Shockley and Herson. I put in my order in June and promised to have one of the first ones. No funny games there.

My past dealings with Shockley and Herson's have been great. It usually came down to price.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Shockley parts/service dept seems to be a bit more willing also to negotiate on honda accessory installs. Person I spoke with a few months ago was willing to install the fogs for $175 which is about $50 lower than most in the area. But still $175 is a lot.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

Just wanted to know if they gave you a discount over the MSRP price since you went through the credit union?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by errol:
Hi Sangeeta,

We used the Drivers Choice program by the WTFCU (credit union). No deposit required.

Program as explained to us then works with various dealers (MD only). You work with a rep who will call you if one becomes available sooner, e.g., anyone ahead of you drops out.

Got our 2001 last Feb after about a 2 month wait. It is delivered to the the credit union of your choice. You can then test drive it. You have the right to refuse it if you don't like it. Our minivan came from Sport Honda.

Thanks,
Errol
</font>

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ordered from Koons Honda (Manassas) MSRP. I got odyssey in 2 months. (she said 3 months). and $800-7 years/10,000 mile ext. warr. easy deal. ask Cyndi. She didn't ask me option and accessories.

Azon Chan

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree with Kellysheros. Check out UBS if possible. If your employer doesn't participate, check out the UBS site. Some Credit Unions participate too, and the savings can be huge!

If you can afford to wait awhile for your Ody, it is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmmeyers:
I agree with Kellysheros. Check out UBS if possible. If your employer doesn't participate, check out the UBS site. Some Credit Unions participate too, and the savings can be huge!

If you can afford to wait awhile for your Ody, it is definitely worth it.
</font>
I talked with a salesman at USB and was told that I had to wait 15 months for a 2002 Ody! Will 2002 ody still be on market by that time?
Dose anyone in the similar situation or know how can get an ody in a reasonable time? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know about the 2002s, but we had a good experience buying our Ody EX 2 months ago at Sport Honda in Silver Spring. They were very no-nonsense. They didn't insist on dealer options, they were on-target with their prediction about when the van would arrive and we completed the sale without a lot of car-dealer flim-flam. We dealt with Dave Kelleher (mostly by email) who is their internet sales guy. His email is "[email protected]"

James

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jack_VA:
I talked with a salesman at USB and was told that I had to wait 15 months for a 2002 Ody! Will 2002 ody still be on market by that time?
</font>
Unbelievable! Did you ask that salesman if he could perform simple math? Or better yet, ask him if he knows how many months are in a year!

When I first contacted UBS almost a year ago, they told me it was about an 11 month wait for an EX. They gave me the dealer to call (Brown's Honda City in Glen Burnie, MD) and the dealer told me it was about a 6 month wait. Since we didn't want to receive our Ody until this September/October they recommended that we wait for the 2002 and told us that they would give us the UBS prices for that model when available.

·
Registered
329 Posts
More info about/from UBS...

I just exchanged e-mails with the consumer advisor and she said that UBS prices for the 2002 models will be released within a week or two.

If they follow what they did for the 2001 EX model, that is a savings of $2486 below MSRP!

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmmeyers:
More info about/from UBS...

I just exchanged e-mails with the consumer advisor and she said that UBS prices for the 2002 models will be released within a week or two.
</font>
Thank you very much. Can you give my e-mail address to her or give her e-mail address to me if you don't mind. my e-mail address is [email protected] Your help is very appreciated. BTW, the salesman suggested my to buy a Toyota Sienna, should I? I don't think he has a honda.
And he also suggested a Mazda MPV. I have a 98 Accord and I am drivig a Mazda 626 ES V6. I'll trade in it for an ody. I swear it will be my last Mazda. Sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just booked an Ody 2002 in SS at NorthWest

Honda in Baltimore at MSRP.

No hassles,no gimmicks.

Salesperson was Monee(pronounced Monet).

Polite and courteous.

Tell her Mr Shah referred us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did call UBS.

Was told the wait would be 1 1/2 year for

an Ody.

Could offer Sienna right now if interested.

(No way absolutely will I settle for a Sienna.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts