Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 2005 LX or EX. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each,I have read them but I want personal experience if possible.Also what is an average price from a dealer,I am a little reluctant to purchase private sale.
Thank you

·
Registered
884 Posts
I owned a 2005 LX which I purchased new and a high mileage EX that I purchased used. I also owned a 2002 LX that I purchased new and now have a new 2011 EXL Res. So that's two LXs and two EXs. I originally stayed away from the EXs because I was concerned about the possibility of the power doors freezing in our northern climate.

Ironically the only serious issues I had with sliding doors were with the new 2005 LX with manual doors. 13 dealer visits for a door that would not close before I traded the thing in frustration. Having now owned two EXs with the power doors and young children, and having never had a power door mechanical issue, I think I will stick with EXs in the future just for the very great convenience of power doors. A better sound system and three zone climate control are nice additions as well but not a deal breaker.

Not much point in my quoting Canadian prices but there doesn't seem to be enough variation between the used LX and EXs to buy an LX unless there was a significant mileage difference. in my view anyway. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dyan-In terms of pricing, go to Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, NADA Used Car Guides, Clear Book and VMR (all available online and for free) to see what the current pricing is for vehicles like the ones you are searching for. Enter the specific features and options and see what prices come up. Will usually have trade-in or wholesale values, private party sale and retail prices. Also do a wide search on sites like Autobytel.com, Auto Trader.com and Used Cars.com to see what prices dealers are asking for Odys. FYI-you will get more for your money from a private party seller-IF they have kept it up and taken care of the vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've bought my last two vehicles from a dealer and they had both been very well maintained by the previous owners. Private party sellers are delusional for the most part in terms of what the expect to get out of their vehicles and the ease of buying through a dealer more than offsets any savings if any you'd get by going private party. YMMV of course but that's been my experience so I for one would agree wholeheartedly with your approach. Take the blue book retail price as a starting point but know that dealers are usually a lot more flexible than private parties so don't give in too early.

·
Registered
288 Posts
^^^^^^^^It all depends on the dealer or the private seller and the specific vehicle! I knew the seller of the 08 EX I bought last August. Her initial price was closer to a retail price but when she got offers from places like CarMax (@ Trade-In Value of course) she realized that she needed to come down on her price and I was able to buy it for $1,500 USD less than her original price. In addition, there is no state sales tax on private party vehicle sales in Georgia, so that saved me an additional $1,365 USD. I would have had to pay at least $1,500 to $2,500 more for a comparable Ody with a dealer AND pay sales tax on the transaction. I found that there were very few EX or LX models available through dealers, mostly EX-L and Touring models (which they can sell for more $ of course!) in their inventories. However the 07 Honda Accord SE V6 I also drive was in a dealer used car inventory and was a great deal. Was a Honda CPO with low miles that had just come off a 2 yr lease. They did not want to budge on their price, but I felt it was a fair price they were selling it for.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dyan - Sorry if this is off topic. We just spent 2 months looking for a 'newer' Odyssey. We originally had our sites set on 2002-2004 [2nd Gen] or a 2005-2006 [3rd Gen]. We found tons of transmission problems with 2nd Gen, so finally decided to skip those. Then, to my surprise I was talking to a Honda guy and he said "stay away from anything, unless 2007+ unless you have money put away for transmission or extended warranty". Later, I talked to a Honda mechanic who said the same thing and there is some verification found in threads on this forum.

Regarding your purchase options. I have found large [chain] dealerships are actually better for getting good pricing on USED [trade-in] vehicles without warranty. My theory is that they have already reamed the previous owner with a ficticious trade-in number and those vehicles are practically a write-off. I've found if you have CASH [outside financing ready the day you make an offer], then you can get vehicles easily below book - many times 15-25% less than they are marked. You must be able to resist the "talk to my manager scam" and hold to your 'drive-out' number, but I've never raised an offer and always gotten my number.

Chaz.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 EXL with 35k miles.

I shopped around looking on eBay, private sellers, private dealers, auctions and the best deal that I found was at a Honda dealer for a certified pre-owned Odyssey.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Transmission: 2005-06 is different than 2007-2010.

VCM is another issue you may want to stay away from.

I am happy with my 2007 LX, small problems here and there but all fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just picked up a 2007 exl from a local dealer. This is our 2nd odyssey as the first was a 2000 ex that served us past 200k without one trans issue. This board was helpful as all reviews give the pros and cons to all years and models.
I did searchs on craigslist and auto trader where I found a good selection.
I went with the color and options I wanted then reviewed the car fax. That narrowed down my selection and the dealer was willing to meet my offer.
What an update from the 2000, best of luck and remember this board for any questions you have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I recall correctly the EX has the variable cylinder management system and will get you much better fuel mileage in the long run. I purchased a 06 EX-L off of eBay and have been very pleased with it. No problems at all. I am a huge believer in premier fluids and regular maintenance. I would stay away from the LX unless it is the only thing in the price range. It looks cheaper as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If I recall correctly the EX has the variable cylinder management system and will get you much better fuel mileage in the long run. I purchased a 06 EX-L off of eBay and have been very pleased with it. No problems at all. I am a huge believer in premier fluids and regular maintenance. I would stay away from the LX unless it is the only thing in the price range. It looks cheaper as well.

tiger20 (are you an Auburn or Clemson fan? LOL) the EX does not have the VCM system in the 2005-2010 model years. Only the EX-L and the Touring models have the VCM engine. The EX (no "L") and the LX models don't have it. And, IMO, the EX is a good compromise between the higher priced models and the bare bones LX. Especially if you don't want the VCM system, like I did not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts