Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the new owner of a 2001 Odyssey EX. I took it out on its first 300+ mile trip over the weekend and discovered the howling issue which I'm finding in the forum.

It sounds like a really really loud pan flute and it is one note that just starts to sound when I hit 80mph on the dot or a little less if there is cross winds.

At first I thought it might have been a loose fender well plastic piece that had come loose rubbing on the tire. Nope. Then I figured out that cracking open the driver side window helped...

I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one so I'll try some of the solutions suggested here... sealer around the windshield weatherstrip, try to get front doors moved inward (how do you do that?)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Try painter's tape in different places first, like the windshield moulding and door openings. Your search for the source of the noise will go much quicker and easier.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Concentrate on the cowling being deformed at the base of the windshield. Mine is on the driver's side but does not produce a noise.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I examined the bottom plastic cowling at the base of the windshield as well as the side moldings between the windshield and the A pillars. The side molding is straight. The bottom plastic cowling had about 3 lumpy warped areas. I will try to tape the area down to see if it quiets the howl.

Is this an expensive part?

·
Registered
252 Posts
my 00 did the same after a new windshield, it was a combination of the mouldings not being replaced correctly and a bad glue job on the glass

·
Registered
539 Posts
Our van does the same thing after the windshield was replaced. It is the rubber molding around the edge of the glass - if they don't put enough adhesive into the channel before installing the rubber molding, the lip of the molding will lift up and vibrate as the wind rushes past it.

As suggested above, use some 2" wide masking tape (the blue painter's tape is good as it won't leave any residue when removed) to tape over the molding along the sides of the windshield and then see if the noise stops.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...

I did localize where the sound was coming from: My driver side window. If I just place my hand on it and push it outward slightly, the howling stops. if I lower the window slightly so that the window isn't letting air in but is not at the topmost position, the howling stops.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
andyf80 said:
do you suspect bad weather striping?
it's hard to say - the weather stripping *looks* like it's good shape. in fact there is no play between the window glass and the window frame on the door. When you put your hand on the glass and push, there is no noticeable gap at all. Everything is pretty snug.

But I do hear the noise loudly at around 80mph + (especially with crosswinds). it doesn't sound like whistling like there is air coming through a small opening. It sounds more like a humming vibration - like the window glass is acting like a reed.
When it makes that noise, i can make it stop by putting my hand on the glass and pushing it out a bit *or* if I crack the window open so ever slightly so that the window isn't actually letting air in but is maybe a couple of millimeters off its topmost prosition. it makes the noise windier but less "humming"-like...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exact same problem

I have the exact same problem. It is on a door where the window was replaced after my car was broken into. Did you get a fix?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts