Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about the aftermarket horns many of you have put on your Odys. The standard Honda horn sounds extremely wimpish to me. I want some horns with some UMPH to them. I always think of the Roadrunner in the cartoon whenever I lock the doors with the remote.
I have seen the two types shown in the Tech section of this site. I believe they are the Fiamm Horns and the Hella Supertone Horns.
My question is, what these aftermarket horns sound like? Are we talking about a sound that might come from a GREAT BIG Roadrunner or a Cadillac Fleetwood?

Fred

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:

My question is, what these aftermarket horns sound like? Are we talking about a sound that might come from a GREAT BIG Roadrunner or a Cadillac Fleetwood?

Fred
</font>
The sound you will get is a two-tone,Euro type. Real nice. Probably around 140db. I had these on all my previous cars. I installed the FIAMM air horns bout a year ago. Awesome.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still in the dark as to what they sound like. I guess I will drive around town this weekend till I find a big Mercedes or BMW and cut in front of them so they will honk the horn. Then I can decide if I like the sound of the European horns.....

(Just kidding)

Fred

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
I'm still in the dark as to what they sound like. I guess I will drive around town this weekend till I find a big Mercedes or BMW and cut in front of them so they will honk the horn. Then I can decide if I like the sound of the European horns.....

(Just kidding)

Fred
</font>
Try driving in the fast lane of the freeway at only 10 mph over the speed limit. That should provoke some horn honking
from the Mercedes or BMW!

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do an internet search for FIAMM air horns. Many sites have sound files that you can download and listen to for the sound. PRetty cool. I purchased a set of FIAMM air horns and compressor, fittings, etc from Harbor Freight for $18.00. They also have a web site harborfreight.com. P.S. Wife wouldn't let me install them on her Odyssey!!

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Dashtopper, Zaino'd

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have the Hella Supertones, and really like them. The sound is a two-tone blast, very loud. The afternoon that I installed them, I asked my neighbor how they sounded, and he replied: Like a Mack Truck!" Frequency is 300 Hz and 500 Hz -- maybe you can recreate these on computer or piano to get an idea.

Very easy installation. You will have to remove the front bumper, which is very easy to do. They bolt up in the same holes as the factory horns. You will need 4 right angle push-on connectors for the tabs on the horns, 4 by 18" nominnal lengths of 14 ga wire, two 1/4" ring terminals for grounds, and two clamp-on connectors for connecting to the hot wires. Put Permatex di-electric grease on all the connectors, since the environment behind the bumper is wet and harsh.

I got fast service and good price from

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/horns.asp

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR.
Honda "Masters" GXV140, 135 cc. mower.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnkalajian:
P.S. Wife wouldn't let me install them on her Odyssey!!
</font>
Sup with that, John ?

Just install it, and when she finds out, it'll be too late to uninstall.

Wife loves it. When she has to use it, it scares the s**t out of people !
------------------
-ROB-

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 02-01-2002).]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ROB

Are the Fiamm horns you installed "air" horns (powered by a compressor) or more conventional electrics (like the ones Chuck installed)? I've found the electrics locally for about $20 and if others say their good I may be inclined to install them when I finally get around to installing a tranny cooler.

Mel

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Mel,
They are air-horns with the little electric compressor. JC Whitney had them for around $19 but when I just checked my catalog they are now going for $21.99 . Either horns are good. I've had both types. No regrets. The reason why I opted for the airs this time was for a change of pace.
Good luck.

------------------
-ROB-

·
Registered
276 Posts
Someone who has installed the Hella Supertones please let me know if there is a difference between them and Ody stock Horn. I listened to a WAV file of the Hella Supertone and it did not sound much different. Soundy Wimpy too.

Steven

1 - 12 of 12 Posts