Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be interesting to someone looking for a low budget, removable video system.

It's a Panasonic AC/DC 9" TV/VCR combo being sold by Heartland America for $169 (after $20 rebate).

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
22 Posts
And its probably of better quality than the $1000 LCD set. its amazing how much people'd pay for looks and gizmos.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used this set up in my '91 Previa. I started doing it in 1995 when I have to drive to Chicago for a family get together. I bought a Symphonic 9" tv/vcr ac/dc and strapped it with bungee cords in between the front seats, resting it on the armrest. On subsequent annual trips to Florida, used a "CD adapter" to utilize the car speakers for the tv audio via the cassette player. Later on, we added the Nintendo 64. Kept the kids occupied for hours during those long drives.

Only drawback was the heat from the tv/vcr.

·
Registered
20 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ndb:
And its probably of better quality than the $1000 LCD set. its amazing how much people'd pay for looks and gizmos.</font>
You are right, of course, that $1000-plus is way too much money for a gizmo that you only really need on those excursions that last longer than your parenting skills. (We never use ours on trips shorter than 10 minutes...) However, the other absolute requirement for some of us is an unobstructed passageway from the front seats to the theater seats. For this, LCDs fit the bill nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
You can get LCD systems for $300 new, and less used/refurbished. If you do use a TV/VCR combo, be sure it is mounted securely. It also wouldn't hurt to put some sort of clear safety film over the screen. In an accident or rollover, the TV and glass shards can become projectiles.

We've only used ours a couple times on trips over an hour. I prefer being able to remove it, but it sure would be a theft magnet if you forget to take it out at a hotel or something.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caviller:
You can get LCD systems for $300 new, and less used/refurbished. If you do use a TV/VCR combo, be sure it is mounted securely. It also wouldn't hurt to put some sort of clear safety film over the screen. In an accident or rollover, the TV and glass shards can become projectiles.

We've only used ours a couple times on trips over an hour. I prefer being able to remove it, but it sure would be a theft magnet if you forget to take it out at a hotel or something.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 04-05-2001).]
</font>
Can you please provide examples and links for LCD system which only cost $300? I want to know since the over $1000 systems are out of my budget range. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
Can you please provide examples and links for LCD system which only cost $300? I want to know since the over $1000 systems are out of my budget range. Thanks.</font>
Caviller's post

I want the largest screen that I can possibly afford and I'd like to have it flip down. I've found a few good ones and I'll be posting them later. Definitely not $300 though.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a couple of low buck deals from Parts Express

Part # 205-225 $590.00

Part # 205-290 $128.00

Part # 205-202 $399.80

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
Can you please provide examples and links for LCD system which only cost $300? I want to know since the over $1000 systems are out of my budget range. Thanks.</font>
Check out my review in the thread "Steel Horse Video Traveler". I just made an edit so it should now appear in recent threads, otherwise you may have to change the setting to allow you to view older ones.

I got a refurbished 5" LCD/VCP for $200 at survivethedrive.com. You can get a new 4" system for $349.95 less a 15% off coupon, or $300 before any applicable taxes and shipping.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thank you all (Jim F; hgani; caviller) for all the low price LCD options.

I think having a system that is easily removed is a good idea as caviller points out so that my son will only expected the video on special trips. Also it eliminates a tempting option for the thief who typically will do more damage while stealing the video unit than the cost of the unit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I purchased a jensen drop down monitor for 355 from ubid they have these for sale round the clock. I am going to install it with a Playstation 2. I just played a movie in my sons and shook the machine rather violently in all directions. No skip or hitches whatsoever. The PS2 fits under the passanger seat without losing the storage tray. Ps2 are available at KBKIDS and Circuitcity online for 299. The DVD is a progressive scan player. You cannot touch these for that price. I hope to install this weekend will post pictures. Total cost $355 monitor $299 PS2 $40 Rf modulator $40 Power inverter total $734 almost 50% less than the IVES and with a game system and DVD. I can add a Hifi vcp for $150 if I want to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rollie,

I've been looking at the Jensen 6.8" model on UBID for some time now. Please let us know how it works out. I am curious about the install and how the cable runs work out!

Warehouse

·
Registered
52 Posts
I won the bid on UBID for that Jensen for $350 on 4/15. I received the package today. Wow it's as small as a in dash cd player. Wait a minute, it is a Jensen in dash cd player! I thought it looked funny mounted on the ceiling.

They shipped the wrong product but included the correct invoice. I got a reply from UBID with a RMA# and a little note saying that they don't have any of the Jensen 6.8" tv's in stock to send as a replacement. So I'm getting a full credit. Hopefully.
Good luck to all you bidders, maybe they've replemished their warehouse by now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I received my unit on 4/17 with no problems. Will try to find time to install in the next week. I am in Law school and final exams start in 10 days. Hopefully I will finish this before exams start. Will keep everyone posted. P.S. Purchased PS2 at the loacal toys r us. they had plenty in stock. I bought the fm modulator from tundra electronics. I might add the Pyle hifi vcr. It is on special at etronics for 115. My wife wants me to skip the ps2 for now. I might return the ps2. My son has a ps2 in his room already. I might wait to see what the xbox is like before I install the dvd/game portion of the system. I am going to make somekind of quick connect for the various systems. will keep everyone posted.
Also ubid is still auctioning off the unit so they must have some in stock!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts