Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to get 29ish on the highway, and 19+- in the city (2018 Elite). In the past year I've noticed a big drop in MPG especially in the city. Now I'm getting around 16. !!!!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Honda Odyssey 2018 Touring (Canadian)
210 Posts
I used to get 29ish on the highway, and 19+- in the city (2018 Elite). In the past year I've noticed a big drop in MPG especially in the city. Now I'm getting around 16. !!!!

Any ideas?
Its winter!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Any ideas?
Clogged air filter? It would probably have to be super dirty to see this kind of efficiency drop though. A clogged catalytic converter could cause this kind of performance and mileage decrease, but you would know it because it would be struggling to accelerate all the time.

Do you let it sit idling a lot? (e.g. to warm up or while you wait on someone to run in the store.)
Driving habits are usually the biggest impact to gas mileage. My daughter gets about 40 mpg consistently in my 2014 Civic (even in town), and I am lucky to get 27 when I drive it to work on the interstate.

Winter gas versus summer gas is also a possibility depending on when the lower mileage started.

Also, how are you calculating gas mileage? We have only had our 2020 Odyssey for a month, but we are getting around 26 on the highway and about 16-17 in town. The computer says higher than that (28 hwy and 18 in town), but actually checking miles on a tank versus gallons added comes out to the lower values.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clogged air filter? It would probably have to be super dirty to see this kind of efficiency drop though. A clogged catalytic converter could cause this kind of performance and mileage decrease, but you would know it because it would be struggling to accelerate all the time.

Do you let it sit idling a lot? (e.g. to warm up or while you wait on someone to run in the store.)
Driving habits are usually the biggest impact to gas mileage. My daughter gets about 40 mpg consistently in my 2014 Civic (even in town), and I am lucky to get 27 when I drive it to work on the interstate.

Winter gas versus summer gas is also a possibility depending on when the lower mileage started.

Also, how are you calculating gas mileage? We have only had our 2020 Odyssey for a month, but we are getting around 26 on the highway and about 16-17 in town. The computer says higher than that (28 hwy and 18 in town), but actually checking miles on a tank versus gallons added comes out to the lower values.
One factor that I didn't consider since my original post was my tire pressure. It just alerted me that they were down to 30. I wish that threshold was set a little higher actually.

The air filter is good, and I don't have any problem accelerating. I do let it idle sometimes but not often, or, it affects it more that I think. One time I did a system update, forgot to set a timer on my phone to go out and check it, and it idled for 3 1/2 hrs. OOF!

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I do let it idle sometimes but not often, or, it affects it more that I think. One time I did a system update, forgot to set a timer on my phone to go out and check it, and it idled for 3 1/2 hrs. OOF!
Idling is as bad for gas mileage as driving in the city, the ODY will suck the fuel, one of the things I hated about the OTA upgrades. Why they just do not allow USB upgrades or WiFi. Just consider the time that you are stopped at the longest traffic light... do not let you ODY idle that long. I do let our ODY idle for 10-15 seconds when I first start it, the allow oil pressure to build and disperse and coolant to start moving. But during winter time, I do use the remote start, especially if it's below 32 degrees outside, and only at 10 minutes if it is in and at the single digit area, other wise it's probably for a few minutes. In my experience this ODY performs best mileage above 50 to 60 degree temperature area. We only have 300' rolling hills, so no mountains. Drier humidity in Winter, more humid in the other months. What do you expect for living in corn-field areas.

Reactions: perniculous

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You don't give odo reading. AFR sensors get lazy as the miles accumulate. Some of us replace them at 100k as PM. I have gotten a 10% increase on another vehicle. If you have a tool to display live data, look at the respective voltages from the AFRSs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't give odo reading. AFR sensors get lazy as the miles accumulate. Some of us replace them at 100k as PM. I have gotten a 10% increase on another vehicle. If you have a tool to display live data, look at the respective voltages from the AFRSs.
What is an AFR sensor?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
As @ArmyCa defined. But at least some of the aka's are ignoring distinctions.

The AFR sensor provides the real time feedback the ECU uses to control the fuel injectors. Feedback provided at the millivolt level of precision. They are generally more precise and more expensive than "regular" oxygen (O2) sensors. Located in the exhaust stream before converters.

Your vehicle also has O2 sensor(s), after the converters, used as a final quality control measure on the overall emissions control system (less Evap).

Is it too harsh to point out that you still don't give odo reading?

(Question: Am I the only person who, coming across a word/term/phrase I don't recognize, uses a search engine to see if I can get an instantaneous explanation/definition?)

·
Registered
63 Posts
As @ArmyCa defined. But at least some of the aka's are ignoring distinctions.

(Question: Am I the only person who, coming across a word/term/phrase I don't recognize, uses a search engine to see if I can get an instantaneous explanation/definition?)
The challenge is there are soo many definitions.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Well, doing a reality check on myself, I used Google to search for AFR sensor, and the very first entry nailed it. Sorry, I didn't check Bing results, because it has never produced anything worthwhile.;)

Yes, most online parts sellers include AFR sensors under the O2 sensors category. But in this particular context, the distinction makes a difference, so I looked to be specific.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it too harsh to point out that you still don't give odo reading?

There! One for each response in the thread! :rolleyes: Is it too harsh to point out I haven't been back here since you asked?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Is it too harsh to point out I haven't been back here since you asked?
Nope! But then, I'm not a snowflake, so I have a reasonable standard for harsh.😄

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You are to be commended on your choice of screen names!
Let me also paraphrase Mr. McGuire of movie fame: Ivermectin

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
I've noticed a big drop in MPG especially in the city.
Add a can of good quality fuel injector cleaner e.g. Techron next fillup. Dirty injectors don't atomize the fuel as well, so it doesn't burn as well.

Direct injection is especially sensitive to dirty injectors. There's less time between injection and ignition, so additional vaporization of the fuel is less.

Also, buy fuel only from a Top Tier station.

Does your engine consume any oil?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I feel like my 2018 has also had a decrease I'm MPG. I need to start documenting it and get ahead of it. With this van it could be real and become my next major repair after the transmission at 69k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
General question for people in this discussion. Who is actually calculating your actual mileage and/or tracking it on each fillup?
My wife thinks I'm crazy that I track this on all of our vehicles, but I find that it helps to get ahead of preventative maintenance if you notice trends early. (Like what has been presented here with O2 sensors and injector cleaning.)

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
Who is actually calculating your actual mileage and/or tracking it on each fillup?
Yep, every fillup since purchase.

IMHO monitoring fuel consumption is just as important as checking the oil, etc.

·
Administrator
14,520 Posts
Well, doing a reality check on myself, I used Google to search for AFR sensor, and the very first entry nailed it. Sorry, I didn't check Bing results, because it has never produced anything worthwhile.;)

Yes, most online parts sellers include AFR sensors under the O2 sensors category. But in this particular context, the distinction makes a difference, so I looked to be specific.
I tried to use your advice to see what snowflake means. I got this as the first few hits. :D

In all seriousness, even I did not know what AFR sensor was. Not all of us understand automotive tech and I hang out here quite a bit so it would help people if we posted easier to understand acronyms or fuller forms of things.

Plus, posts do not come across exactly as intended (tone) so calling people snowflakes may also be a bit much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts