Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 EXL RES purchased 6 months ago. The low fuel indicator light turns on at approximately 9-14 miles to empty. This has done this since new. The manual states the light should turn on with 3 gallons remaining in the tank (@ 50 miles). Hard to believe I have 3 gallons left with the gauge on E. Anyone else having this problem. The dealer states the vehicle is operting properly. Due to the location of the fuel light, the timing of the indicator turning on, and no audible alarm, I am concerned I may run out of gas if not traveling in the city. Thoughts? At approximately how many miles to empty are other owners fuel indicator lights turning on?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The 9-14 miles to empty part is way off. You likely have at least 3 gallons in the tank when the light comes on. It's a very conservative gauage (that's why it's on the right):D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I get fuel indicator light between 18-22 miles. I have driven down to 0 miles once (might have driven about 1 mile after the range came to 0 miles). I have the Touring Elite; it shows the range. Not sure about EXL.

I have a 2011 EXL RES purchased 6 months ago. The low fuel indicator light turns on at approximately 9-14 miles to empty. This has done this since new. The manual states the light should turn on with 3 gallons remaining in the tank (@ 50 miles). Hard to believe I have 3 gallons left with the gauge on E. Anyone else having this problem. The dealer states the vehicle is operting properly. Due to the location of the fuel light, the timing of the indicator turning on, and no audible alarm, I am concerned I may run out of gas if not traveling in the city. Thoughts? At approximately how many miles to empty are other owners fuel indicator lights turning on?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Best thing to do is as soon as the light comes on, fill the tank. Then you know exactly how much gas you have when light comes on. When my light comes on...I have 5 Gallons on my 04, which translates to 45 miles til empty.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
When Light Comes on

My oddy has 5 gallon reserve = 45 miles

My Altima has 5 Gallon Reserve = 110 miles

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
A quick note, the low fuel light and the estimated mileage do not seem to be directly related. Regardless, I wouldn't play with the chances, I'd go for filling-up as soon as the light comes :)

• The light comes on when there are about 3 gallons left in the tank (actual)
  • The range in the information display is estimated (as per the manual: This distance is estimated from the fuel economy you have achieved over the last few miles (kilometers), so it will vary with changes in speed, traffic condition, etc.)

·
Registered
427 Posts
A quick note, the low fuel light and the estimated mileage do not seem to be directly related. Regardless, I wouldn't play with the chances, I'd go for filling-up as soon as the light comes :)

• The light comes on when there are about 3 gallons left in the tank (actual)
  • The range in the information display is estimated (as per the manual: This distance is estimated from the fuel economy you have achieved over the last few miles (kilometers), so it will vary with changes in speed, traffic condition, etc.)
I agree.. some cars are more conservative and some the tank is nearly empty.

On mine there is only about 2 gallons left when the light comes on based on previous fillings when the auto pump shuts off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Best thing to do is as soon as the light comes on, fill the tank. Then you know exactly how much gas you have when light comes on. When my light comes on...I have 5 Gallons on my 04, which translates to 45 miles til empty.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WW one of these days you find and repair the problem for such high
consumption, and you are gonna wonder why you spent all that cash
on extra gas all this time.

On the highway at around 95 Km/hr, you shoud get the same 120 miles as
your Maxima, unless you are loaded, have a trayler hitch, junk in the trunk
and a heavy foot.

I wish I could test mpg on your Ody. :D

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WW one of these days you find and repair the problem for such high
consumption, and you are gonna wonder why you spent all that cash
on extra gas all this time.

On the highway at around 95 Km/hr, you shoud get the same 120 miles as
your Maxima, unless you are loaded, have a trayler hitch, junk in the trunk
and a heavy foot.

I wish I could test mpg on your Ody. :D
On the highway...the altima has 150 miles left

On the Highway......the van would not be far from that. City mpg is my issue

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noticed that in my van, when light comes on, I am pretty much out of gas. One time, I filled up 21 gallons, and the tank is 21 gallons. Not used to this. Normally, when light comes on, should be 3-4 gallons left. My last car was 2008 Acura MDX, light came on when there was 3.5 gallons left. Is there a way to reset low fuel light?

·
Registered
117 Posts
On the highway...the altima has 150 miles left

On the Highway......the van would not be far from that. City mpg is my issue
jackrabbit starts no doubt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to make the low fuel light come on in the center 8" screen? In short I don't see it as its blocked by the steering wheel and I've almost run out of gas while driving more than once. As well there is no audible indicator as well.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Interesting........my wife never sees the light, the guage or anything what-so-ever when she is driving related to the dash. It baffles me that anyone would not know how much gas they have....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to make the low fuel light come on in the center 8" screen? In short I don't see it as its blocked by the steering wheel and I've almost run out of gas while driving more than once. As well there is no audible indicator as well.
Our van both beeps and shows a orane/yellow message on the small LCD between the gauges.

WW: if ur fuel Econ is so bad in city, might wanna get on the treadmill :stupid:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Our van both beeps and shows a orane/yellow message on the small LCD between the gauges.
Rub it in Touring dude :p

It is an i-MiD feature on the Tourings (in addition to the yellow light)

Interesting........my wife never sees the light
A-ha! I finally started to understand many things... :stupid:

·
Registered
6,861 Posts

WW: if ur fuel Econ is so bad in city, might wanna get on the treadmill :stupid:

That's what it feels like in the oddy..Like driving on a treadmill...Go nowhere......but use all kind of gas

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Rub it in Touring dude :p

It is an i-MiD feature on the Tourings (in addition to the yellow light)
LOL, sorry about that.
I wonder what Honda thought of for this feature?

A) people that don't buy our high end models and can't see a low fuel indicator deserve to be stranded on the road.

Or

B) high end buyers are so dense and complain so much about stuff that we are better off with multiple indicators and a beep.

That's what it feels like in the oddy..Like driving on a treadmill...Go nowhere......but use all kind of gas
Hahaha nice come back :D

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
LOL, sorry about that.
I wonder what Honda thought of for this feature?

A) people that don't buy our high end models and can't see a low fuel indicator deserve to be stranded on the road.

Or

B) high end buyers are so dense and complain so much about stuff that we are better off with multiple indicators and a beep.
Honda thought: "the 'bATT LOW' message with the annoying beeping will confuse them enough, let's not put more crap in the MiD. In addition, the front suspension will creak so bad they won't hear it anyway"

·
Banned
80 Posts
It is my understanding that the fuel sensors are calibrated the way that a computer does not take into account an entire tank's capacity. In the past some cars had a reserve fuel tank, but then car manufacturers got smarter and decided it would be more logical and cheaper to just calibrate it differently. So by showing only 15-20 miles left on the display you in reality have more like 50-60 miles left in the tank. A simple test will prove just that. We all know the capacity of our tank, drive your car until you have 0 miles showing on your display, fill it up right after and do the math :)

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts