Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new around here and looking to purchase a Ody. I am looking at a 08 EX with 23k miles and a 10EX with 36k miles that is $900 more. Both are at a local Carmax and have the same options and are the same color (grey). Opinions?

TIA!

Z

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'd try to get the price down more on the 2008 first, if not, go for the 2010. They may be identical, but it's two model years newer.

If you can't get the price down on the 2008, the 2010 may be the way to go.

Joel

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the 08 and it was a the odd year they made changes to the front so factory kit doesn't fit but may or may not matter to you.

Edit: Just re-read your post. for being the same trim unless the price on the 08 is much less the 10 would be a better buy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are from Carmax so the price is set. The 08 EX w/23k miles is $22698 and the 10 EX w/36k miles is $23599. I like the lower miles but I like the 10 as the last of the generation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To each their own, but I always avoid the first year of a new model. Just my .02

I may be off, but I though 2010 was the first year of the new design.
I am usually the same way but what are you saying in this case. The 2010 is the LAST year the 3rd gen was made. The 2008 was the year they made cosmetic changes to the grill. Were their mechanical changes made in 08?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot carmax has the no haggle pricing.

Are they in similar condition?

Like I said before with the miles being so low it shouldn't really matter either way. A car with 50K can be in better condition then a car with 25k if it had more routine maintenance then the lower mile car.

Do you have any previous service history on either car?

How does their carfax checkout?

Any accidents on either car?

Does one have any extra options over the other such as running boards, 3rd row sunshades, 2nd row center console, floormats, roof rack crossbars?

If both are still equal after looking at those the 10 is still the better buy because it's newer it has 2 years less depreciation then the 08 and the price is not really that much more.

GL with the van shopping!

·
Registered
71 Posts
They just did a minor facelift to the front but mechanical was the same.

I am usually the same way but what are you saying in this case. The 2010 is the LAST year the 3rd gen was made. The 2008 was the year they made cosmetic changes to the grill. Were their mechanical changes made in 08?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both are the same color exterior and interior. 08 has all the floor mats 10 only has front floor mats. Both are clean but the 10 is cleaner... Both have no service history available and no accidents on carfax. Is there a way to check service at Honda dealerships? Toyota has toyota owners website but you can enter any toyota VIN and get all the dealer service history, anything like this for Honda?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought 2010 was the new model year, but you were right it was 2011.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
If there are no accidents and cosmetically, all panels etc line up and no odd paint mismatches, it would be an easy decision to get the 2010 for the extra $900. The difference between 36K and 23K is a mere 13K or 2 oil changes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
~$22700 for a 4yr/old EX is INSANE to me. Didn't they go new for ~$26K?

Joel

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hop in and test-drive. Choose the one you fall in love with. Turn off the radio and listen carefully for all the sounds, vibrations and your own feelings. Try to get know the previous owners through the behavior of the vehicles. Trust your senses. Year and mileage are just numbers (very close in your case btw).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ended up getting a 2010 EX with 24k miles, it just came off the truck. The other 2010 had a rear bumper that had become loose. Saleman pulled it off lot and sent it to be repair. The 08 had heavy grime in on the carpet.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Same price as the other 2010? Congrats on your new set of wheels. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$500 more and it was a lot cleaner and had service records on carfax. Looks like I will be around odyclub a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts