Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Low resonance humming from speakers seemingly at specific speed/RPM?

818 6
Apologies for the title being so ambiguous but this is quite a difficult issue to explain. When we were test-driving our new (to us) 2019 Odyssey Elite, we noticed a very low hum any time we let off the gas and let the van slow down. The hum would last anywhere between half a second to maybe 2 seconds and we were able to reproduce the behavior consistently enough to run back and get the salesman and demonstrate it.

At the time, the salesman claimed that he knew exactly what the issue was - he claimed the humming was coming from the speakers and a faulty transistor needs to be replaced. We could get the van back to the dealership and they'd fix it while we go through all the paperwork.

Well, we bought the Odyssey and this issue is still occurring. I would say that it does sound like the humming/buzzing noise is coming from the speakers... it's very distracting and it's frustrating that we made it clear that the issue needed to be solved in order for us to buy the vehicle.

We've had a less-than-awesome experience with the service department at this dealership so I'm hoping someone out there has already been through the process of having this issue resolved so we can just waltz in and say "this is the issue - fix it."

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to ask me any questions for clarification!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
15,412 Posts
How sure are you that its coming from the speakers? It can be from the speakers. But it may also be from engine mounts or exhaust hangers.

That said, your first mistake was to sign the dotted line and trusting the sales guy.

Your odyssey is equipped with the VCM system. When the engine shuts off 2 or 3 cylinders, it causes a drone. To counter that, the Odyssey is equipped with an ANC system. ANC stands for Active Noise Cancellation. That system pumps counter noise to the said drone.

Some people can hear that ANC noise and you may belong to that category unfortunately.

You should consider trying to disable the VCM system by looking up a VCM disable device like VCMuzzler II or VCMTuner 2 or SVCM. Plenty of posts on that topic.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you're saying does sound plausible, though it sounds like you're saying most people don't hear this sound and so far we're 3-for-3 and it is very audible. It is very difficult to be sure where the sound is coming from because it seems to be all-around, so we cannot say for sure that it is coming from the speakers. However, having a movie or music playing does not drown out the sound - it's always noticeable.

This is very interesting, though, and would be good to know if that is what we're hearing. Ultimately we just don't want to be in a situation where something is malfunctioning so if what we're hearing is normal then we may have to deal with it... I'll have to look into this, especially if no one else chimes in with any ideas. Thanks for this!

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,197 Posts
I agree with dvpatel. I would muzzle the VCM anyway. If it solves your problem, great, if not, it's something you probably should do anyway, so it's a win-win.

· Registered
2023 Honda Odyssey Sport - Black/Black
1,567 Posts
Easy way to test if it's VCM. Next time you drive, drive the van in sport mode. That will disable both the auto idle stop and VCM. That should disable speaker compensation as well.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to those who have responded so far, it has led me down a rabbit hole of seeing that I am definitely not alone in this issue. The most recent comment on this post references taking this Service Bulletin to their dealership and they were able to replace the ANC unit and resolve the issue. We're going to at least try that and see where that gets us - we do fall within the VIN range on the bulletin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.