Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Odyssey EX...had to replace a TPMS sensor but the shop didn't program the ECU. I have an Autel TS501, and used it to scan and relearn the sensors. The sensors now all show as "green" on the TPMS status screen, but now the low tire pressure light is blinking.

I've retriggered and rescanned, the TS501 says the sensor IDs match what the ECU is programmed with, and no DTCs on the Autel or my other OBD2 scanner.

Do I just need to drive around for a particular amount of time or distance at a min speed?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just as an FYI. I was at a Pep boys a few months ago with a 2016 Camry getting a replacement wheel installed, switching tires.

The topic came up on the TPMS pressure sensors and the mechanic said do not buy the aftermarket TPMS sensors that are sold at Pep boys, but buy an OEM Toyota sensor if you ever need to replace them, otherwise you'll have continuous problems.

I don't know about Honda.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm just sayin'.... that's what a Pep boys front desk mechanic said about his experience using non OEM TPMS sensors over the years...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
driving around will re-calibrate..

had a similar issue recently with the tpms seal leaking, replaced it filled it with air drove a bit, light went off.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I’ve been running aftermarket sensors from Discount Tire in a set of aftermarket rims since 2012.... no issues, yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
driving around will re-calibrate..

had a similar issue recently with the tpms seal leaking, replaced it filled it with air drove a bit, light went off.
How long do you need to drive around, and at what min speed? This is the wife's wheels and she isn't keen on the blinky tire light haha

·
Registered
251 Posts
No one likes blinking lights on their car but remember it's just tire pressure or tire pressure sensor problems.

If you manually measure the tire pressure when cold, and they're all at the correct pressure, you don't have anything to worry about.

Having live tire pressure monitoring is great and all... but it's not like it's the most important part of the car. =). I mean what in the world did they do before they had TPMS sensors??? haha

Checking out the owner's manual and seeing what all the different blinking lights mean can help you know what's going on. There should be one or two whole pages with all the different dash lights.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
"what in the world did they do before they had TPMS sensors??? haha"

They would hit the edge of the driveway into the supermarket with the right rear wheel repeatedly and never check it.
Then a couple of weeks later decide to run to Vegas on a dangerously low tire. If it was a Ford Explorer, it would roll over
when the tire blew.

Most of us around here check our tire pressures (stone cold in the AM!) but the vast majority do not.
And...if you have anything done to your car, check the pressures the next day. There are mandates for service techs to always check the tire pressures. The problem? They check them hot and most never look at the spec for the vehicle itself. Everything gets 32 LBS. A hot tire, set at 32 in a touring that is supposed to have 35 is going to be at 28 or 29 cold. Not dangerous necessarily, but you will feel it at the pump. This is all very important to me as I like to keep my tires 3 or 4 LBS above spec.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
"what in the world did they do before they had TPMS sensors??? haha"

They would hit the edge of the driveway into the supermarket with the right rear wheel repeatedly and never check it.
Then a couple of weeks later decide to run to Vegas on a dangerously low tire. If it was a Ford Explorer, it would roll over
when the tire blew.

Most of us around here check our tire pressures (stone cold in the AM!) but the vast majority do not.
And...if you have anything done to your car, check the pressures the next day. There are mandates for service techs to always check the tire pressures. The problem? They check them hot and most never look at the spec for the vehicle itself. Everything gets 32 LBS. A hot tire, set at 32 in a touring that is supposed to have 35 is going to be at 28 or 29 cold. Not dangerous necessarily, but you will feel it at the pump. This is all very important to me as I like to keep my tires 3 or 4 LBS above spec.
great advice... check the tire pressures cold and check the wheel nut torques after a drive home from the shop.

If it was a Ford Explorer, it would roll over
when the tire blew.
good thing Firestone tires are mostly irrelevant these days.
doesn't look like much good has come out of liberia in a couple decades.
ebola comes to mind...

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
I just did a replacement TPMS on am 08 Odyssey EX the other day. When I was done with the programming of all four sensors using my Autel MS906BT scan tool and the Autel TS401 for triggering the sensors, the scan tool said the light would blink until I drove the vehicle for a mile or two above 28mph. After about a mile of driving the light went out. I haven't done one on the gen 4 but I would presume it would be a similar procedure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to resolve this. I dropped all 4 tires down to about 28 psi (cold), drove about 1/4 mile and it stopped blinking. Oddly, it went out completely and didn't go steady on. I aired them back up and it's been good since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts