Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is a newbie question. I searched before posting, but was unable to find an answer (I may not have searched far enough).

2004 Honda Odyssey

Driver's side low beam headlight is out. I bought a new one. Spent an hour trying to figure out how to swap it out, busted knuckles and all. Went online, only to discover that it's actually pretty easy. Duh.

I button everything back up, only to discover that the driver's side low beam is STILL out. WTH? I first thought it was the bulb, but then took the original and plugged it into one of my motorcycles with easy access. It's good. Of course, I'm assuming the new one is good too. That means it's not the headlight.

I check every fuse that might be related. They all look good.

I checked the headlight relays, certain that this was my problem (because there is a left and right). I swapped them around with other relays that were identical. The problem has not gone away.

So can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Well since the fuse side is common with the high beam and the ground side is common with the other low bean you are going to have get in the socket with a meter and check it out. You either have a broken wire or defective socket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well since the fuse side is common with the high beam and the ground side is common with the other low bean you are going to have get in the socket with a meter and check it out. You either have a broken wire or defective socket.
I will start troubleshooting these areas once I have another opportunity (whenever my wife can leave it with me for the day again).

I did a little more digging and found another individual who had a similar experience (although his was both low beams). His problem ended up being the signal stalk/switch. I wonder if mine could possibly be the same.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/106611-low-beam-headlight-issues.html

Any thoughts? Anyone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be . Both low beams are wired together in the combination switch
But if they're wired together, and the switch is bad, then both should be out, right?

I'm not sure if any of this is related, but... my left driving light has been out for several months now. It has actually been the bulb itself. I noticed a few days ago, that the little green LED on the switch for my driving lights has also gone out. It was about the same time that the left low beam went out (few days ago). With the left low beam out and not knowing the actual cause, that has motivated me to replace the bulb for the driving light. A new bulb did the trick, but the green LED at the switch is still out (not that I expected that to really change).

I'm wondering... is there any relation to the switch LED being out and the LH low beam out? I would not expect there to be a relationship, but I do know that when the high beams are turned on, the driving light are intentionally cut off. So that makes me wonder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having an intermittent problem with my driver’s side headlight.

1) It keeps going out.
2) If it is on and I jiggle either the wire or connector it still stays on.
3) If it is out and I jiggle the wire or connector it will not come on.
4) If it is out and I whack the lens cover from the front of van a couple of times the light will come on.
Any suggestions? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
looks like a bad socket or broken wire at the socket

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've not had the chance to troubleshoot this any further over the past few weeks, but my wife left it home with me yesterday and drove my Jeep instead. I was able to figure out that, yes indeed... I have a bad connection somewhere. I could not tell exactly where it is, but was able to 'RIG' it with some zip ties to where it is making good contact. This obviously isn't the RIGHT way to fix it, but that is a very tight area with virtually no room to work. If I were to start digging in deeper, I might be opening up a can of worms and making a bigger mess of things. I AM relieved that I this is the problem though, because even though it will be a PITA to fix, I know that I can do it. I plan to leave it as it is right now though, and if it continues to work without getting any worse, then I'll consider it good enough. If not, then I'll fix it the right way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Where did you have to "rig" it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you have to "rig" it?
I removed the air deflector (or whatever that is blocking access to the headlight), pulled the wire bundle up and over toward the fender, tied it to the crossmember with a zip tire, replaced the air deflector. The wire break is either at the headlight itself or further down out of site (I'm guessing further down).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else seen this this issue? I am having the same issue as jrd123 but don't see any resolution.

I am having an intermittent problem with my driver’s side headlight.

1) It keeps going out.
2) If it is on and I jiggle either the wire or connector it still stays on.
3) If it is out and I jiggle the wire or connector it will not come on.
4) If it is out and I whack the lens cover from the front of van a couple of times the light will come on.
Any suggestions? Thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was having a problem with my passenger low beam. I live in Canada, and have daytime running lights, which worked fine (those run the high beams at half voltage). As soon as regular headlights were turned on, no light on passenger. Swapped bulbs, no go. One day the wife says she hears some sort of grinding or whining coming from the right side of the dash, such as when you open the drivers door, up in the corner beside the steering wheel. Did some searching around, turns out there is a module located under the glove box which controls the lights. Some of the solder joints had dried up, or weren't making proper contact anymore and that was the culprit. Dropped down the glove box, located the little box, removed it quite easily (although nut was pretty tight) took it to the basement and re-soldered the joints I thought were bad (any joints that look brown or black'ish). Good time to change the cabin filter also. After that, the grinding noise was gone, and lights work flawlessly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apologies if this is a newbie question. I searched before posting, but was unable to find an answer (I may not have searched far enough).

2004 Honda Odyssey

Driver's side low beam headlight is out. I bought a new one. Spent an hour trying to figure out how to swap it out, busted knuckles and all. Went online, only to discover that it's actually pretty easy. Duh.

I button everything back up, only to discover that the driver's side low beam is STILL out. WTH? I first thought it was the bulb, but then took the original and plugged it into one of my motorcycles with easy access. It's good. Of course, I'm assuming the new one is good too. That means it's not the headlight.

I check every fuse that might be related. They all look good.

I checked the headlight relays, certain that this was my problem (because there is a left and right). I swapped them around with other relays that were identical. The problem has not gone away.

So can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Hi Tom! Did you ever figure out the problem here? I have a 2012 Honda Pilot, replaced the passenger bulb (low beam) and still not working, driver side is fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts