Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 EX, and one of the heat shields was hanging off. I drove into a shop to see if they would fix it, but also to get a look at some other things. Turns out, my passenger side lower ball joint has 3/8" play, and needs replacement. The shop quoted me $560, but said $450 if I do it today. They had the part at $369, which included the arm. I found online where I can get just the ball joint for $34. Has anyone replaced just the lower ball joint, leaving the original arm in place? Any tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,320 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looking at the tech manual and at HondaPartsNow, they only show the lower arm and the joint boot and clip, not the ball joint as a separate part... Not sure I would trust replacing it either.

Nicolas

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure I trust it either. I figured someone here must have explored this whole aspect of the Odyssey before. Is it a difficult switch for someone who does brakes, calipers, radiator replacement, hitch & cooler installation, etc.? Never did a ball joint before. Dealer gave me price of $401 complete. Less than the local muffler shop's price at $560. What a markup they have!

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
I haven't done it, but it doesn't look too bad. Hardest part would be separating the ball joint stud from the knuckle. A pickle fork should handle it. The lower ball joint is unloaded when the van is raised, so you can lay right into it after lifting the van. The van may need a wheel alignment after the job is done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts