Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing that the lower balljoint on the driver's side failed last night on our way home from a great day of hanging out in the mountains near Calgary. Heard a couple of unusual clicks in the 10 mins prior to the event and finally a CLACK, the left front side of the van fell a couple of inches and I could see sparks on the highway. No percievable loss of steering control and I was in the left lane passing someone at the time so I just eased it onto the shoulder, let off the gas and then eased the left side of the vehicle a little further off the shoulder and let the snow there do the braking for me. Pretty uneventful other than waiting several hours for a tow back to Calgary and now a panicked scramble to assess and repair so my wife isn't without a car next week.

Oh and it's -18C today (I think that's roughly -4F)

good times!

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
DANG! Glad to hear you are alright and hopefully not too much extra damage to the van. I am planning on replacing my ball joints fairly soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
They should check for looseness between the lower control arm and steering knuckle on the other side for good measure. They should also check your upper balljoints. Glad you're safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK.....finally got the van back on the road on Tuesday (almost 3 weeks).

Took awhile working on getting parts rebuilt - helluva time removing spindle nut on passenger side. Wound up cutting it down a bunch with my Dremel (that thing has saved my butt countless times now) and then a BFH and chisel to turn the sucker off the CV axle end. The hubs were practically welded to the knuckles from corrosion so I took it to a mechanic friend who removed them and replaced my lower balljoints for me as well. Then it was a week of evenings and a Saturday afternoon working at -18 to -25C. Mangled the ends of my CV axles in removing them from the hubs as well so decided to replace those.

Took it to a shop for an inspection/alignment and everything checked out OK. Also had them replace the driver's side tie rod end while I was at it (I did the pass. side in the summer). On my way to the shop I found that there are still a couple of "cllunks" from the frontend every now and then so I informed the mechanic there about it; he couldn't find anything so I'm going to replace my sway bar bucshings to see if that helps.

All in all it feels much more solid now and seems to drive straight and smooth. The transmission aren't doing anything they weren't doing before so I think this little adventure is behind me.

Greg
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top