Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm going to take a crack at replacing the lower balljoints in our '95 Ody and thought I'd hit you folks up for any advice before starting.

Any tips on tools? I'm probably going to grab a balljoint press from Partsource or Autovalue; I assume that will do the job?

Many thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
122 Posts
forget hiring a press remove the knuckles and take to a workshop and pay them to press them out and in will save you a lot of hassle and may even be cheaper than hiring a tool. One thing to watch out for is the drive shaft seizing in the hub can be a b***h if it does :mad:
Any way good luck with the ball joints.
PS i've just removed my steering rack today what a job mainly because mine is a AWD jap spec ody:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jealous of the JDM ody.....nice.....since the RA1 is now old enough (15yrs) to comply with our import laws I'm tempted to start looking around for one to bring in.

thanks for the advice too. I'm going to give it a try on my own since I need to remove the knuckles anyway and if I get stuck I'll take it to a shop as you suggest.

not sure if I got the link for this from this board or from a google search but;

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy#p/search/2/zd5IcN3yjsg

I'm amazed at how much of it he does with a hammer and not sure if I think that's a good idea or not but still interesting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
that Eric the car guy is awesome,
that's how a proper mechanic does it I worked with guys like this in a Honda dealer it was great we did a good job and did it quickly the health and safety has killed the motor trade.:confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK....I've learned why they call 'em "breaker bars" twice now (busted 2 half in ones so far). Not really willing to risk my 1/2in drive ratchet on this at the moment so I'm getting tempted to slice the nut with my Dremel (no grinder yet) and split it with a chisel.

Been trying out an impact attachment for my electric drill and it seems to be making really slow progress but hard to really tell. It sure gets hot which is why I'm taking a break to surf for more solutions.

gah!:stupid:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts