Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my '99 Ody (224k miles) in for an alignment (did front struts last weekend). The shop said they couldn't align it because it needed new lower control arms (LCA) and tie rods. Now, I suspected that the inner tie rod on the passenger side was a bit loose, but they indicated I needed outer tie rods (because the boots were cracked?) (So what?...the outer tie rods are fine...I know). I took it to another shop and they said my LCA's were OK but I did need new tie rods. I told them go back and look again at only the inner tie rod. Waiting on their call. But I will likely do the inner rod myself. I already have the special Lisle inner tie rod tool.

Back to the LCA. I searched the articles here on LCA, and given the age of the car, they may need replacing. How can you tell if they are bad? If I need them, should I get Honda OEM LCA'a for $220 per side or aftermarket on Ebay for $90 per side? Any tricks to replacing them?

Thanks,

Todd K.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If memory serves me, the inner tie rod attaches to the outer tie rod so why not just replace both at the same time? They are pretty cheap, $32 at Bernardi Honda or go aftermarket. As for the control arms, usually the bushings crack. The bushings are cheap. There's a couple posts on here on how to replace them but I think they all point to another site for pictures. Comes down to cutting the rubber out, cutting the metal ring to relieve the pressure and removing the old then press the new one in. If it's bad where the knuckle attaches then my assumption is you need a new control arm for $200 but at least it would come with new bushings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Now how do I know if the bushings are bad? They appear cracked but does that indicate much?

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
After 12 years, the rubber bushings have probably gone soft. The alignment shop might have pried on them to test for movement. I don't know of any definitive test.

You would almost certainly notice an improvement in handling if you were to change them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. The other day with the front wheels off, I grabbed the control arm and was able to see significant movement at the rear bushing. So I am in agreement they are bad. I saw from another post that RockAuto had good prices on aftermarket LCA's so I think I am going that route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts