Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came across why my 99 odyssey is drinking so much gas, 215 miles per tank
NGK came up with this in 2006 stating that ethanol blends can cause mileage decrease as well as CEL. so they say to solve this problem, adjust the spark plug gap one step colder, 0.010 smaller than factory, but not lower than 0.035. should I change my ngk iridiums IX's from .044 to .035? will this cause any damage?

From NGK Site:
Topic

New Ethanol Blended Fuels in the Canadian Marketplace Issue

Many consumers and technicians have noticed an increase in fuel consumption
as well as the service engine light coming on and when checked, a lean code is
detected.

Solution
If your vehicle was not calibrated for a fuel blended with ethanol the following
adjustments can be done to restore the expected mileage and performance prior
to the change in the fuel type. NGK Spark Plugs Canada Limited recommends to
install a spark plug one heat rating cooler than OE to dissipate the increase in
cylinder temperature as well as adjusting the spark plug gap setting to 0.010”
smaller then the vehicle’s factory setting (Note: do not reduce gap to less than
0.035”).

Additional Information
This is very common in “Abnormal Use Applications” such as;
• Towing trailers of any kind on a continuous basis
• Fleet accounts
• Delivery vehicles
• Police or Taxi vehicles
• High km’s vehicles
• Modified engines
• Any vehicle that uses a performance air filter (35% more air flow)"
NGK Plug Pro

What do you guys think, have any one of you tightened your gap by .010?

Up here in Canada, there are no ethanol-free gas stations that I know of.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you have iridium's, I assume they are ZFR5FIX-11. Then I read this to say install ZFR6FIX-11 and set the gap smaller.
Has the van always had this plug since new or was the original the platinum PZFR5F-11?
If it was, and is stil the recommended plug, then I would try the PZFR6F-11 gapped down.
Have you checked with a Honda dealer service dept. to see if they have ever heard of this or tried it?

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
I would leave the spark plugs alone and stay away from ethanol blended fuel.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would say the above is only going to help with a possible CEL

Ethanol has 30% fewer BTU's per gallon than gasoline does. The lower fuel economy comes from the lower energy content. Nothing you do to a spark plug is going to put the 30% energy content back.

If you don't have a CEL with lean condition, then I would ignore this advice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would leave the spark plugs alone and stay away from ethanol blended fuel.
I agree with staying away from Ethanol, after reading documents from manufacturers.

Shell 91 here in Canada is the only Ethanol free fuel.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with staying away from Ethanol, after reading documents from manufacturers.

Shell 91 here in Canada is the only Ethanol free fuel.
I thought the Government made all gas stations mandatory to have some amount of ethanol in all fuel stations. I will go and have a look there, but I haven't filled up in Canada for two years, I head down the border, much cheaper and I bring down 2 gals of milk for 2.50 each. Anyways, I ordered A step colder plugs; Denso platinum TT, specifically, and will gap em' down to .036 and see if it makes a difference. My lowest was 280 on a tank, thats only 174 miles!!! My van has got only 150 thousand kilometers on it. I hope the spark plugs make a big change, I'm even running out of budget. I'm also thinking of changing my tranny fluid to AMSOIL synthetic.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
I thought the Government made all gas stations mandatory to have some amount of ethanol in all fuel stations. ***snip***
Yes they did in 4 Canadian provinces (BC, SK, MB, ON), to a maximum of 10% ethanol. However, like JDSStudios said above, PetroCanada (previously Shell) sells an ethanol-free 91 octane gasoline for cars that they say cannot use an ethanol blend. Yet the government says that cars can burn 10% ethanol without modification to prevent engine damage. Another case of contradictory statements. :nothappy:

molsoncanadian, I would try a couple of tankfuls of ethanol-free fuel before meddling with the spark plugs. If your fuel economy stays the same, the problem isn't the fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts