Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today being a new day; I went ahead & did Chuck/Hy's glovebox light mod.

Like buttah! This is an extremely easy mod but I do have a couple of things to add:

- I used 14 gauge wire; I'd recommend 18 gauge for tapping into the OEM wiring and also to look like the rest of the wiring
- I had to unscrew the center bin and 'snap' it out (there are 2 snaps along the top and they will fly when they come loose so be careful they don't fall behind it) in order to get to the correct power & ground wires to T-splice them.
- If I was doing it for the first time; I'd probably put something between the glovebox light housing & the rail (like a long rubber tube cut to fit) that would go over the screw since the glovebox light housing is at a 45 degree angle and you're screwing the screws in straight. That would provide a bit more stability and make the whole thing stronger and less stress on the plastic housing. (Look at Chuck's pics; you'll see what I'm getting at.)
- You'll need a ratchet or wrench to get at the far screw (near the door) under the glovebox when removing it. The other will come off easily enough with a regular screwdriver.
- When replacing the bracket, make sure your wires are not in a bind; they should feed through the hole nearest where you connected the light housing so they'll be out of the way. Also, there are plastic guides at each end to ensure you've placed the rail back on correctly.

Anyway, the Helms manual would have come in handy (I know! No lectures) and Chuck probably knows of an easier location with which to tap into the center bin wires (I did it right behind the center bin power connectors) but overall it was an easy 30-45 minute job.

Nyvram all smiles and bunnies and fluffy clouds now.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts