Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a luggage rack on their Ody? We have an EX and are driving to Florida this summer and would like to know is it easy to install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 1999 Osyssey LX and it did not come with a factory roof rack. We are quite thrilled to _not_ have a factory rack as they are rated for 100-150 lbs.

We bought a Yakima rack kit that bolts around the 2 sliding doors and has a key lock. It can be removed for better fuel economy during the 98% of the time it is not used.

Rated for 250 lbs., the bars are wide enough for a huge Yakima Space Case and a kayak or canoe. <www.yakims.com>

There was a bolt on Yakima option but it does not fit in the roof channel that Honda provides.

We also use a Yakima Terragate bike rack which fits the 2 inch Honda Trailer hitch. It swings out and away from the van, out to the passenger side. It does not swing up/down. Those bike racks require work and dirt to bring back into the upright position.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anybody know how heavy Ody roof rack can withstand ? I know Honda crossbars can withstand 150lb. Can we load 250lb on the roof just by replacing the crossbars with Yakima kit ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
i use a coffin shaped luggage carrier on my honda rack and i have loaded it a full as i can with golf clubs, child play pen, duffle bags and other miscellaneous items with no problems so far.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Do you have a photo of your carrier on your Ody?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts