Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been lurking and learning for a few months now and thought I'd chime in. Thanks for all who have posted all the wonderful information. I'll be picking up my Ody today (SS EX-L-RES) after an only 20 day wait. I'll be paying MSRP.

I assume I fall into the category of others on the board...wife, a two-year-old, and one on the way. I anticipate that I'll have one kiddo on either side of the middle seat and have the magic third seat in the floor. Which leads me to my question(s). Should I get the cargo mat AND tray or am I really wasting my money on the latter for the once in a while usage of the third row seats?

Also, as far as the HondaCare 7/7/100K extended warranty is concerned, I appreciate understanding how much I should pay for this baby, but I'm having the hardest time deciding whether to get it. I'd appreciate being sold either way by the board participants/members.

thanks in advance.

Eric

·
Registered
65 Posts
We chose not to get the extended warrenty, basing my decision on Honda's reliability record. I also have a 98 Civic EX, not a problem so far. My only real worry is the transmission. Since this is the first year for the five speed, I wonder if there will be teething problems (I've gone through tranny probs with my DC van!). You have the 3/36 warrenty, and you can add the extended warranty at a later date, although it will be more expensive.

------------------
2002 SS-EX-L-RES

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good question, Eric. I too have wondered about the need for the cargo tray vs. mat thing. The tray stays in all the time, right? Where do you put the mat if the magic seat is up?

God is in the details.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I will be picking up my van tomorrow and I purchased the 6/100/0 extended warranty for $755. Seems as though this is a small amount to pay for peace of mind. If one major repair happens(tranny, etc.), the warranty will pay for itself. I am hoping that the tranny problems have been worked out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
Good question, Eric. I too have wondered about the need for the cargo tray vs. mat thing. The tray stays in all the time, right? Where do you put the mat if the magic seat is up?</font>
I have both. The tray is a must. It stays in the well all the time, if the magic seat is up or down.

The cargo mat is a heavy duty rubber mat that covers the rear cargo area when the magic seat is stowed. When the seat is up, I keep it rolled up and stored under the rear seat. Unless you're looking for it, you'll never see it. We bought the mat after we had the van a couple of weeks and I have found it very useful. It was especially useful when I borrowed a power washer from my brother-in-law (which, when I got home, I found out that it still had some water left in the hose). It also "grips" well and keeps things from sliding around on it.

If you're only going to get one or the other, get the tray.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Eric, your family has a clone in Wisconsin. My wife and I also have a 2yr old, and a baby on the way, and we just picked up our SS EX yesterday. I went with the extended warranty, and I normally don't get those - didn't on my last 2 Hondas. Here's why I chose it for my purchase: this super-cool Odyssey has some super-cool mechanical functions, that I myself cannot figure out how they got designed so well as to allow for supposedly years of use without flaw. Mostly I'm thinking of the power sliding doors, and the power adjustment seat. If those motorized functions fail, I'd bet it would be very expensive to fix, unlike when a manual door or seat would go off track or something. Plus the thing has myriad of electricals with all kinds of buttons and switches for the various functions in this amazing vehicle. Short of high-end luxury cars, I've never seen anything as "loaded" with conveniences. We love our Odyssey, and all the creature comforts it comes with, so if your like me and plan to own it more than 5 years I'd get it. If I never wind up needing to use it, I'll still feel like I've won, but if something DOES go wrong, well....
We got the cargo tray, and it's perfect, but I hadn't considered the cargo mat - don't have a dog and won't be hauling much lumber or anything so I feel safe without it for now.

BTW - Starlight Silver was my second choice, and seeing that Redrock Pearl was hard to come by, I went with it, and I'm thrilled I did. I think the new amber lights look better on this trim than others, and it provides me with even more of a feeling that I'm on some kind of futuristic spaceship....To infinity, and beyond!!

Jason
'02 EX SS
'99 CR-V

·
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the Club Eric,

Both the mat and tray are one of the best accessories to get for the Ody. But if I had to pick only one it would be the mat. Because:

- Keeps the floor relitively flat
- Good to have when carrying large, semi-dirty cargo.
- Can easily be rolled up and stored under third-row set (when it's up)

I haven't had a chance to use cargo tray much but I guess it's sort of like 'insurance'. It's there just in case.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

Just picked ours up this week and love it. Enjoy. We got both but if in the market for one only I would recommend the mat. Then if you something dirty you could fold the seat down and cover the entire floor area. The cargo tray would just give you the cargo area coverage.

We will be getting an extended warranty after we research which one is the best for our needs.

-Steve

2002 Mesa Beige EX (splash guards, cargo tray, cargo mat)
95 Passat

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the input.

picked up the Ody yesterday and am quite please. nice paint job, drives straight, and the steering wheel is on straight, too. used the posted checklist to give the car a once over and everything checked out. I, too, after seeing all the gizmos that can go wrong decided on the HondaCare 7/100K/0 warranty which I purchased for $895. Paid MSRP and manager threw in free lifetime oil and filter changes at the service center. even got a 60-month loan at 5.14% Interestingly the mud guards came standard.

This car is a real hot item. My buddy is this dealership's chief counsel and he can't get it below MSRP either. The only perk I had from having "a friend in the business" was the ability to name drop during the purchase process to discourage ripping me off.

I think I'll go with the cargo tray first. The wife seems to think that having the third row up most of the time would be avantageous for STAT diapering and breastfeeding. I'm sure the mat will come later.

there are a couple of mods that i'd like to do and truly don't know how over my head I'll be doing them. the donnelly mirror and the R.O.S.S. are out of my league, or are they..i'll have to see. i'm comfortable building a computer from the ground up (relatively), but tinkering with the car...i don't know.

One thing I noticed driving home yesterday was the EXTREMELY narrow view one sees though the rear view mirror. I pretended I had 2 munchkins in full battle back there, and there is simply no way to see anything without jerking the mirror around. Any recs on other replacement or clip on mirrors to extend my field of view?

thanks again all for a fantastic board. I hope to contribute as much in the future as I have learned thus far.

eric

·
Registered
234 Posts
The side mirrors are so huge on the 2002 Ody, that if adjusted properly you can see the oncomming cars leave the rear view mirror and enter the side view mirrors and be in view of both mirrors for a short period of time. You need to adjust the left side side mirror so that you can just see the left side of your van when your head is touching the driver side window, and likewise for the right mirror when your head is close to the rear view mirror (the center of the front seat area).

You will be able to see the cars leave the rear view mirror, and appear in the side view mirrors.

I have used this technique on all of my cars and can see the cars approach either side of the car, and also be in view in the side mirrors. Most people adjust the side mirrors so that they see the side of their car from the drivers normal sitting position, and that causes you to loose sight of the oncoming car momentarily, as it leaves the field of view from the rear view mirror and enters the field of view of the side mirrors. I picked this up in some safety magazine some time ago.

The other solution is to by wide view mirrors, which are large, and consist of a number of mirrors mounted at angles. These mirrors, give you a huge viewing area.

Hope that this helps.

[This message has been edited by LHOdy (edited 12-01-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts