Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of complaints here about the power sliding doors, but my issue is with my difficult-to-open LX manual doors. I searched but couldn't find any other complaints here.

From time to time, the doors are nearly impossible to open. I have found at these times that the best technique is to enter through the front doors, then open from the inside, pushing out and back.

Shortly after one such stuck-door episode, I noticed a small, convex dent in the sliding door (pushed out from the inside), at approximately the same height as the door handle.

Looking through this site's list of service bulletins, I noticed #00091's entry of "one or both of the manual sliding doors are difficult to open." #161200 is similar.

My question is, how can I best bring this up with the dealer? Mention the service bulletin entries and insist that he fix both the doors and the dent?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have had our 2000 LX in four times for the sliding doors (the first two times services made a bigger mess). If your van is under warranty, Honda service will fix it.

I don't know about the dent.

I would recommend you arrange with the service scheduling people to have the replacement parts for bulletin 00091 there before you bring the van in.

BrianB

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problems with my '01 LX. It doesn't happen all the time but once in awhile I cannot open the manual sliding door for nothing!

I have to open it from the inside, then when I close and re-open it it works fine.

I took it in to the dealer for an oil change and mentioned the door problem to them and they said they would check it out. Of course the door worked fine when they had it. They put some type of lubricant on the rubber around the door and suggested that I do that every so often.

It does drive me crazy when the door won't open. Then you get inside and start the van and the red indicator lights tell you that that door is not closed, so it does actually trigger the unlock mechanism but won't open!

If anyone has had this problem permanatley fixed please tell us!

Thanks,
'01ODY

·
Registered
254 Posts
i had the same problem with my 2000lx and used a silicone emmulsion on the door weatherstrips. problem gone. if it helps, the best applicator i could find was from a gm dealer in a 50ml bottle for about $5.00

------------------
2000 lx fern grey with mods

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Mine has stuck only once so far, and I have done nothing about it yet. I wonder if the bad paint job on the backside of the sliding door where the gasket seats contributes to the problem? The paint there is rough.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As I have said in the other thread regarding the TSB on the LX doors, I had my seals replaced at no charge on the 21st. It's been eight days, and it's been very rainy and foggy here, which was causing sticking previously. Not a single problem since the replacement, and there were many before it. I suggest that everyone get them replaced, because it does seem to worsen, and I know of one person who tugged so hard she ripped off the door handle. It was free, a little time consuming, and of course irritatingly handled by the Honda service department, but it's done, and my doors open smoothly now.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Look at below topics on "Problems and Concerns" forum titled 11/2001 Service Bulletin Update - LX sliding doors difficult to open. There is a copy of the TSB there. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just yesterday I took it ('01 LX) for oil change and mentioned the manual doors sticking. Immediately he knew what I was talking about and said to just schedule an appointment and they need to REPLACE the mouldings. He said that silicone and other topical dressings have, at times, made the problem worse. They've been told to replace the weatherstrips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greetings, I've had my '99 LX since July 1999 and 67k miles. Sticking slider doors have been an occassional problem. Using Sil-Glide on all of the seals for the door has helped, but it is not a total solution. I found that I needed to re-apply every six weeks or so. The topmost seal seemed to be most critical.

Last month I tried something new. I applied a heavy coat of wax (mothers carnuba paste, if it matters) to the inner surfaces of the doors, where it mates up with any of the seals. Yes, do the top, bottom, front, back - anywhere there is contact with the seals. There IS room to get in there. Allow the wax to dry, but don't rub it off. The more wax, the better.

Result? No more sticking! As a mechanical engineer, I am a fan of dry lubricants instead of the Sil-Glide lubicant. The Sil-Glide will attract dust, cheerios, pant legs, etc, and needs to be refreshed often. Wax seems to be more durable.

YMMV

Paul

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a '02 LX. The passanger side door will stick every third or fourth time I use it, and when it does it really sticks. The drivers side door has never stuck. Go figure.

FWIW, I have tried using a silicone spray type material (applied to a rag and wiped on) on the door gaskets to eliminate the noisy doors, but this did not help the sticking.

I will be bringing the van in for service this month and plan to ask about the noise and the sticking.

Bryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sliding door update - the waxed doors are still working better than usual. I will stop applying lube to the seals and re-apply wax to the door everywhere metal meets any of the seals.

The sticking is most severe in colder, damper weather, especially if door has not been used for a week or more.

A related but different problem is when the doors freeze shut if the van has been caught in freezing rain or has been been through the car wash and then been in freezing temperatures. A decent way to unstick the door, without ripping off the door handle or denting the metal, is to pull outward on the top of the door. Hook your fingers betwen the top of the door and the top seal, and pull away from the van. Repeat as necessary.

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
342 Posts
FWIW, I took my Ody in for it's 15k service. I mentioned that I'd had a problem with the doors sticking from time to time. As others have said, it's not always a problem but when it does stick, it "really" sticks.

Anyway, the dealer couldn't replicate the problem but they replaced the top weather strips while the car was in the shop and have the large weather strips (the ones that go all the way around the opening) on order. So far, the problem has been taken care of. They haven't shown a sign of sticking since the service. I hope the rest of you have as much luck with this as I have. I also hope I didn't just jinx myself by making that comment.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
138 Posts
update on my replaced seals from January:

We have had no sticking problems since the dealer replaced the original door seals. The doors move more loosely, sometimes feeling a little rattly, and one time it seemed the driver's side slider went too far and passed the stop. It closed, luckily, and I haven't noticed the problem again. But no sticking is is what I'm most happy about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts