Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font coior=purple>My wife and I are still trying to decide which one to go for. The LX is at the upper end of the price range we can afford, so the EX would really be a stretch.

If we got an LX, I would definitely want to install the keyless entry/alarm and a CD player (probably aftermarket--anyone know what Honda charges for the keyless entry?), but some of the other options don't matter to us: power doors, Homelink, auto climate control, power seat, auto-off headlights, radio controls on steering wheel. It would be nice to have the wheels and the roof rails, but that's all we really care about.

LX owners: do you wish you spent the extra $2500 on the EX?

EX owners: any features on the EX that you find are frivolous?

Then there's all of those problems with the power doors. Anyone experience problems with theirs?

Also, since the EX is, obviously, most in demand, doesn anyone know if the dealers are more negotiable on the LX?

Thanks much!</font>

[This message has been edited by hondaboy (edited 10-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by hondaboy (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have an EX (with NAVI) and definitely appreciate all the extras. I don't find the extras to be too frivolous. But how would you define frivolous? Some people might find a CD player in a car to be frivolous.

If you are planning to install an alarm plus a CD player, how much will that reduce the "extra $2500" by? You will essentially be some amount less that a $2500 difference with your add-ons. But, if you know that you don't need the extras, you should get the LX.

·
Registered
25 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hondaboy:
<font coior=blue><big>

LX owners: do you wish you spent the extra $2500 on the EX?

Also, since the EX is, obviously, most in demand, doesn anyone know if the dealers are more negotiable on the LX?

Thanks much!</big></font>
</font>
We got an LX in under three weeks. My theory is that it has less of a demand than the EX and higher-priced models. But good luck arguing for less than MSRP. We did not even bother.

The dealer charged us $475 for the single CD player he installed, which is the list price for the hardware plus two hours labor. I consider this reasonable. By the way, he initially wanted $699 and only considered $475 a "special". So remember that the dealers are still trying to rip you off in any way they can!

This is the only option we chose. We bought the van to move people basically. To me the alloy wheels, heated seats, etc. are an overkill and able-bodied adults shouldn't mind walking around the van and pulling the manual doors - we lack exercise already as it is!

-Fan
2002 MB LX

·
Registered
529 Posts
I bought the LX in '99 and have been happy with it ever since. I'll admit my needs are pretty meager. I added a keyless entry at a local shop for $130. I think Honda wanted $500 or more to install it.It locks the doors automatically and of course has a remote opener. Hearing about all the automatic door problems, I was very happy to have the manual ones. I never turn the radio on so it makes no difference to me.

Of course the EX is "sexier" (roof rack and wheels). The LX has the same engine, seats, air conditioning, etc. For my money, its not worth the difference.

[This message has been edited by bigjim (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
we bought a 2000lx and added on the accessories we wanted (roof rack, single cd player, and aftermarket alloy wheels). the added cost for the ex did not make sense to my family and we have not regretted the decision at all.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 99LX that I'am trading for a 2002 LX I love the LX and really don't need the extra stuff of the EX except a single CD player,keyless entry, and roof rack but with my 99 I added on roof rack with crossbars,mats,alarm with keyless entry,aftermarket alloy wheels,piaa superwhite headlights, and european side marker lights

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks like it boils down to your deciding what features you really need or want. For me, I very much like all the added features of the EX and have even moved on to the EXL-RES. Absolutely no regrets. In reality, I could live without the automatic sliding doors but they can't be avoided if I want everything else (and I do). The climate control is perfect. I suggest that you research it further by getting a brochure if you haven't already done so. Compare the actual differences (I think there are around 18) between the two models. You'll be happy I'm sure with either model.

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've taken a practical, non-frivolous approach to most of the vehicles I've owned in the past. I'm glad that I bought an EX!

The power doors are a great convenience either when you're carrying packages or opening/closing them for your guests, e.g., picking-up or dropping-off an elderly passenger.

The auto climate control is a nice touch.

The volume control on the steering wheel is convenient.

I don't know how effective the heat reflecting glass is. However, even with it the van can get quite hot parked in the sum. I'd hate to have it get even hotter.

I don't like the look of black trim on the lighter colors, although it may be more palatable with the darker colors.

If anything on the EX is frivolous it's the useless (without crossbars) roof rack rails.

While the $2500 may be a stretch, it'll be offset by the add-on prices of the features you want to add. Also, you can expect the EX to hold at least some of the extra cost in resale value.

Mel

·
Registered
86 Posts
We got a 2002 RRP LX.
$300 under MSRP in one week. Because of the less demand for LXs.
However, I have added the only items I wanted from the EX:
- 6 CD in the dash $150 (from Dalts, easy install, anyone can do it)
- keyless entry $89, installed.

I am glad I saved the $2,500, plus the $300 I could not have saved if I wanted an EX.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sometimes, the difference between absolutely "loving" your new car and being "somewhat satisfied" is having the nice touches that the EX adds. I agree that I could do without the "non-functional" roof rack. My thinking is that if I'm going to spend over $25k for a vehicle, what's another few dollars??

Everyone has their own needs and rationalizations for spending (or not spending) this kind of money. I had a college professor who simply viewed a car as a "device that would transport him from Point A to Point B." In his case, he still drives a late-model-bare-bones-rust-clad VW Beetle. As long as it runs, he's happy . . . he also hasn't had a car payment for over 30 years!! I guess to each his own.

Seriously, only you know whether you feel comfortable in spending this kind of money. Work out the math & see if you feel that it is worth the difference in payments. We can all give advice, but it is not us driving your new van OR making your payments! IMO, it doesn't look like you would save much money buying a used '00 or '01 either.

Good luck with your decision!

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

[This message has been edited by Man314 (edited 10-08-2001).]

P

·
0 Posts
My wife and I just picked up an 02 GG LX last week-end. For our purposes the additional cost for the EX was not warranted. We did add some accessories that we found practical. They were/will be installed by the Honda dealer:

1. Keyless remote $305
2. Door edge guards 52
3. Fenderwell trim 140
4. Splash guards 95
5. Roof rack w/crossbars 276

The keyless remote was installed prior to delivery. We are to come back next week to have the other items installed. I did consider purchasing the items from Handa-accessories.com and installing them myself.

Lack of time and the dealer warranty for items the purchased at delivery changed my mind. By the way I paid list for the LX and had ordered the 02 in June.

I purchased the vehicle at a dealer located in the Chicago northwest suburbs.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Happy with just an LX. This is how I always purchase my vehicles. Base model, add everything on myself. Saves money and hassle.
At least I can choose my own rims,stereo,etc.etc.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the responses. I want to reply to some of your questions and post additional questions.

<font color=purple>Steve Pert- </font> By frivolous, I mean features that you rarely use, or would not miss it if it weren't there. I simply cannot live without a cd player and keyless entry (got spoiled from my current car and last car), so those would definitely not be frivolous.

<font color=purple>forsdad, hondacaddy-</font> I wonder if some of you can tell me the price for those dealer add-ons (roof rack, keyless entry, etc.) I checked out that site, www.handa-accessories.com and they list the roof rack for $215. It looks like you can install it yourself without any drilling. If so, that would be great! Does anyone know?

<font color=red>OK, I found a post over on Edmunds where someone posted a complete list of the extra features on the EX. Here's what he put:

*Power Sliding Doors
*Automatic Climate Control
*Power Driver's seat + lumbar support
*Alloy wheels
*CD player w/Dash mounted tweeters
*Roof Rails
*Security System w/Remote Keyless Entry
*Cargo Net
*Homelink remote system
*Auto-off headlights
*Heat-rejecting/reflecting tinted glass
*Steering wheel audio controls
*Body color trim and mirrors
*Driver's and 2nd row seat-back pockets

But he also had these on the list. I can't find these differences in the brochure, so I wonder if you can tell me-

*Upgraded fabric
*Michelin Symmetry tires (LX has Firestones?)
*Grab Handles behind 2nd row seats
*Center storage box light
*Storage tray under Passenger seat

Does LX not have any of these things either?

Thanks again. This forum is great!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Allow me to summerize:

The LX is for little girls and housewives.

Real Men buy the EX

{writer hits ENTER and ducks behind desk}

·
Registered
483 Posts
PD55:
My 2 not-so-little girls saw this and they're throwing everything they can get their hands on at you including my little die cast toy cars.

PS. It's a good thing you ducked.

Hondaboy:
Kidding aside, it boils down to what you can afford. This I can tell you: Do not stretch it. It will cause you pain & suffering. Just my $0.02 here: I would do it one thing at a time (as the cash comes in). Eventually you would have everything you wanted in that LX. It would take a while but treat it like one of your "projects". It keeps you going everytime. The joy in owning a vehicle is being able to 'MOD' it every weekend (that is if the wife allows you to touch it
). Looking forward again to this coming weekend

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the differences between lx and ex are explained in the brochure. They kind of imply that cd player is an addition to the ex (it actually replaces the cassette player).
I am not sure about the heat reflecting glass. I thought both have them have the same glass. Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
301 Posts
The main reason I bought an LX was that I want to keep this van for a long time. (10yrs). If I was leasing every few years I might have gone for the EX.

My main gripe is the power doors:

1) They are slow.

2) The force needed to reverse them was much for little kids arms and legs if they get caught.

3)Trying to sell a EX van past the warranty period when the power doors do not work will cost you big time. (Remember these accessories have not been around long enough to know their reliablity).

4)I live in a region of North America where it can get to -40. Electric motors do not operate so well at these temps and I don"t want to be sitting there with a door that won't close.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with the last post. The more that is automated, the more can go wrong down the road. Technology is good but not if it renders the human being useless. Think about the old days when our parents did not have all these gadgets and things still get done. Don't forget that corporations are not only satisfying our demands, they are telling us what we should demand and create a product to meet that demand. There is a difference between want's and need's.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I disagree - I don't think these corporations are trying to create false demand - I think they are trying to come up with innovations that the consumer will value.

Following your logic, the car makers should have stopped at the Original Chrysler Majic Wagon, as it provided fundamentally the same service as the 2002 Odyssey.

Lastly, it is BECAUSE we are all concerned about how these gizmos will age that we all buy HONDA!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts