Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I inquired about the difficulty of do-it-yourself (DIY) installations. The splash guards and air deflector were quite straightforward, but now I'm faced with the 6-disk in-dash CD player (which by itself, sounds easy once you get the console cover off) and the remote keyless entry (which sounds a bit more challenging). Odyclub Member stlody replied to my previous post with good info on the keyless entry (I've included stlody's words from that prior post below).

Anybody else install the remote keyless entry? How difficult is it to pry the clips out of their holes to remove the driver's side front door sill trim or the driver's dashboard lower cover or the console cover??? The instructions advise being careful not to damage the clips. How easy is it to damage the clips??? How difficult is it to disconnect and connect the 3-, 6-, 10-, 14-, and 24- pin connectors??? Is it straightforward or is it tricky???

I'm a desk-job kind of guy, but I've finished my basement; built a shed, deck, and playset for the kids. I have the tools, but haven't tackled many automotive tasks. Am I handy enough to handle this?

My 2002 Ody LX is two weeks old. What are the warranty concerns?? Should I bite the bullet and have a honda service department perform the installations???

OK, guess that's enough questions for now. Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Cauchy

A response from a previous post of mine by Odyclub Member STLODY: "I purchased the full keyless entry alarm system, which is only $70 more than the keyless entry from HandA--and no more difficult to install. The installation process, as detailed in the instructions, took about 3 hrs. The only difficulties I had with it were that the instructions incorrectly identified the color of a 6 pin and 10 pin wiring harness (actually gray although the instructions said blue) and the process of getting the center console off was slow and difficult. Be careful when routing the wiring harness for the inner light switch (which goes through the dash over toward the glove box) so that it is not in contact with any sharp metal brackets under the dash--so as to avoid chafing and possible electrical shorts later. This is easy to do if you take your time. And set any options you want to on the main module (you'll see what I mean in the instruction book) before you mount it, because the controls are not very accessible after you do. The install is quite doable if you are at all mechanically inclined. Your back and shoulders will be sore the next day, though, from all the contortions needed to get under the dash."

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a keyless entry/security system yesterday and also found it took about 3 hours. The greatest difficulty I had was not in the console panel but in unconnecting the 24 pin electrical connections to plug in the new harness. No problem damaging clips. It just takes some patience but instructions are quite good (except where it says to remove the glove box - I did not do this and did not have to do it.)

·
Registered
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cauchy:

Anybody else install the remote keyless entry? How difficult is it to pry the clips out of their holes to remove the driver's side front door sill trim or the driver's dashboard lower cover or the console cover??? The instructions advise being careful not to damage the clips. How easy is it to damage the clips??? How difficult is it to disconnect and connect the 3-, 6-, 10-, 14-, and 24- pin connectors??? Is it straightforward or is it tricky???
</font>
Removing the door sill and the lower cover were easy--just gentle prying with a taped screwdriver.

Disconnecting the multi-pin connectors from the fuse box was tricky, but only because there are so many harnesses in the way and so little room to work. The connectors are held in by a small plastic side clip, which must be depressed fully into the body of the connector in order to release it. I found it helpful to press this clip in with a very small flathead screwdriver while pulling on the wiring at the back of the connector. Then the whole thing just popped right out. The same technique enabled me to disconnect the connectors that are high up above the fuse box (24 and 14 pins).

Popping apart the steering column cover also took me longer than I expected. Just push at each tab location on the LOWER cover and you'll hear the tab snap off the hook. All the way around this way and the whole thing comes apart.

I won't kid you by saying that this install was a cinch--but my level of skill and experience is about what you described for yourself and I did it without damaging the vehicle or burning the ears of my wife! The most important thing is go slowly. And read each instruction carefully, paying particular attention to the little drawings for each step--they contain graphical info not found in the text.

3-4 hours of careful work and you'll have it done. And you'll save several hundred dollars. If you want to, feel free to email me and I'll walk you through any steps that you get stuck on.

STLODY

·
Registered
62 Posts
No

NO
don't do it.

Have a pro do it.

CD player yes, sub woofer yes.

Security system----NO My hands still hurt and it doesn't work yet. Wish i would've paid somebody. Not worth the headache.

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts