Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I’ve added the six-disk indash changer under my EX’s CD/radio, I’m CD-redundant. Apart from CD vs cassette, how does the LX’s head unit compare to the EX’s? If I traded with someone for an LX unit, I could play cassettes, but would I be giving up any other features or output power?

Mike

·
Registered
301 Posts
You might give up a little power but the main thing that you would lose is the steering wheel mounted controls. Probably not worth it unless you really need the cassette.

·
Registered
478 Posts
B3 Blues-
I am considering changing to a cassette HU too although probably aftermarket. Since I have NAV, I don't have the option of an in dash changer, so I will go with a remote changer.
Check out this site for the possible solution to maintaining the steering wheel controls. I have not yet investigated myself, so I can't say whether this is the answer or not.

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ody,
If you have NAV, and remove the factory radio, you will have issues with the NAV voice.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had not thought about that! What will happen, will "NAV-lady" stop speaking to me? I don't mind so much the stock CD/AM/FM head unit-I just want to add a cassette deck. Sure don't want to mess up my NAV though! Hmmmm...

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
I had not thought about that! What will happen, will "NAV-lady" stop speaking to me? I don't mind so much the stock CD/AM/FM head unit-I just want to add a cassette deck. Sure don't want to mess up my NAV though! Hmmmm...

</font>
You could try mounting the Honda Tape deck elsewhere - like the glove box, lower center bin, or maybe in the area where the cup/coin holders are. Of course this depends if the wiring harness for the tape deck can reach these areas.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
478 Posts
So are NAV owners stuck with the stock HU?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
So are NAV owners stuck with the stock HU?</font>
By no means. There are many work arounds, some "cleaner" than others, some more difficult. But, some extra customization/modification work will be necessary.

If you go aftermarket, you most likely need to use an outboard amp. Then you can use a switching device like Nestor's or wire the nav signal parallel like videonavi using step-down resistors and the cell phone mute function. This assumes you want to send the nav voice through the stereo. The next option is to wire in a separate amplified speaker just for nav voice, and not touch the stereo.

Then as far as steering wheel controls, just use the PAC or Peripheral IR interface.

If you switch out to the Honda tape HU, you can use your CD changer, but you can't use the steering controls AND you would have to deal with the navi voice just like an aftermarket deck.

------------------
-SJ
(formerly known as shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, looks stock, for now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts