Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO Honda took a big step backward with this Magic 3rd row seat nonsense. The rear seat in my 2000 Odyssey was much more useful. We could load things like a few 8 foot 2x4s by sliding in under the seat, and stow all kinds of flat type things under the seat itself.

When parked, the seat flipped over easily for a very convent seating arrangement. Great for tailgate parties. :) But what Honda apparently considers a huge advantage-- being able to pull one strap-- all this functionality has disappeared. The area under the rear seat is simply nonexistent and all the advantages of the old style seat no longer exist. Very disappointing...

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you want storage below the seats, go with the Nissan Quest. That is how they have their folding 3rd row structured but the tradeoff is that you lose a lot of overhead space.

Honda and Toyota choose to go the other route with seats that fold all the way into the floor.

If you need seats for tailgating, go with the Chrysler Town and Country.

;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
^ I don't think he exactly means storing things under the floor, when he says under the seats. I never had a 2nd gen Ody, but from what I remember, the seat was a single folding bench, which swung rearward on two hinges on either side. This meant that when the seat was up, there were a few inches worth of a gap between the two hinges along the entire length of the seat. So long items could litterally be slid under the upright seat and above the floor. But now in both the 3rd and 4th gens, there is no longer a gap in that area.

I think you may be the first person I have ever heard of that actually used the "tailgate" seating position. I never have, but I don't think the 3rd gen's seat was meant to be used that way, so I'm not sure I would use it anyway. I know the 4th gen seat is similar to the 3rd gen, but I have not checked whether or not it has the "tailgate" seating position. The 3rd gen has it, but its not as simple to get as it was in the 2nd gen.

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
IMO Honda took a big step backward with this Magic 3rd row seat nonsense. The rear seat in my 2000 Odyssey was much more useful. We could load things like a few 8 foot 2x4s by sliding in under the seat, and stow all kinds of flat type things under the seat itself.

When parked, the seat flipped over easily for a very convent seating arrangement. Great for tailgate parties. :) But what Honda apparently considers a huge advantage-- being able to pull one strap-- all this functionality has disappeared. The area under the rear seat is simply nonexistent and all the advantages of the old style seat no longer exist. Very disappointing...
The seats were changed in the 3rd gen and the design was carried over to the 4th gen. So, the space you talk about in the 2nd gen is not there in my 2007 Oddy either.

As others mention, the tail gate seating position is there in all gens but like other's, we have never used it in that position.

·
Registered
98 Posts

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more.

First of all, as others have pointed out the third row seat design in the current Ody is largely a carry over from previous generations. Secondly, the magic seat configuration clearly works for an awful lot of families. Finally, as Gstom1 pointed out earlier, the under seat storage configuration (as used in the current Quest) eats a ton of interior space that most buyers, certainly me, aren't willing to give up for the few times when you might want under seat storage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think he exactly means storing things under the floor, when he says under the seats. I never had a 2nd gen Ody, but from what I remember, the seat was a single folding bench, which swung rearward on two hinges on either side. This meant that when the seat was up, there were a few inches worth of a gap between the two hinges along the entire length of the seat. So long items could litterally be slid under the upright seat and above the floor. But now in both the 3rd and 4th gens, there is no longer a gap in that area.
Exactly— good description.

I think you may be the first person I have ever heard of that actually used the "tailgate" seating position. …
I typically use it at least once a year when we travel to NYC to watch the Mets beat up on the Dodgers. But I see others here saying the tailgate position is doable so I just checked it out and found that to be the case. Have to remove the head rests but that’s not a big deal. I agree that it’s not a critical feature by any means, but a nice convenience at times in any event.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I can’t do w/ the 2012 EX-L that I could w/ my 2000 EX is to adjust the seat back position of the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] row back seats to tilt forward a bit. There’s no stop or lock until the seat is reclined the normal position. You can tilt it back further and have it lock in place, but not forward. We typically put larger suitcases in the back cargo area (dog & cat hang out on the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] row seat) but there’s very little room between the rear hatch and the rear seat as I can’t tilt that seat forward just a bit to accommodate stowing anything there.

Other than a few nits like thi we are enjoying the van immensely!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I typically use it at least once a year when we travel to NYC to watch the Mets beat up on the Dodgers.
Apologies for the hijack but.... Let's go Met's!... I'm a hard core Angels fan married to a born and raised in Richmond Hill, Queens Mets fantatic!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts