·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 2001 EX. When I stow the
magic seat, it isn't flush with the cargo
floor like it's suppose to be. Does anyone
know if the seat can be easily adjusted to
fix this problem? If there is a do-it-yourself solution, I rather not use my dealer's repair service.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ya know, mine isn't exactly "flush" either. I thought it may be because it was new, and as the material fatigued a little it would lay down further.

I wasn't worried too much about it before you posted this.

Thanks a lot, man!!

Does everyone else's fold perfectly flat?

[This message has been edited by gram_parsons (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
No my magic seat never folded flush. I would not worry about it. It does the job and be glad you have a seat you can stow away. What a great concept.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the consenus here is the magic seat doesn't fold completely flush with the cargo floor. In my case, the folded seat edge closest to the rear bumper is about 1.75 inches above the cargo floor, which seems a bit excessive considering the Odyssey brochure claims the seat folds flush. I guess I'll have to visit the dealer

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can someone confirm that it is just the thickness of the seat cushions or is there
some mechanical thing in the way to prevent it from folding completely flat?

Or a better way to ask is, if I put in 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood is it going to sit flat/flush or not?
Can you squish it down flat easily with your hands/upper body weight or is it more resilient than that?

Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't think 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood are going to fit anyway due to the front seats.

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobf58:
I don't think 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood are going to fit anyway due to the front seats.</font>
If you remove the center seats, 4x8 sheets fit right in. Have to watch out for the magic seat "U" hooks on either side though when you want to get 5 sheets of 3/4".

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
If you remove the center seats, 4x8 sheets fit right in. Have to watch out for the magic seat "U" hooks on either side though when you want to get 5 sheets of 3/4".</font>
Thank you exindenver! I nearly had a heart attack when he said a sheet of plywood doesn't fit in - that was a big part of our decision to go with Ody. They show it right in the Ody brochure. It'll be my wife's kiddie mover and my covered pickup truck - the ol' husband/wife compromise...

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you reread my post, you'll see that I never said that a sheet of plywood wouldn't fit. But they have to slide under the rear of the front seats, and there is very limited clearence. I'm not sure if 5 sheets of 3/4 would make it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
bobf58 I stand corrected - I mistakenly thought you meant length, not height.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I meant to measure this over the weekend, but I forgot all about it. I remember that I put in a few sheets of rock in there once, and I didn't think to raise the driver's seat. The top sheet rubbed the plastic trim on the seat. Since there is no height adjustment on the passenger's seat, I guess that one will govern the available height.

The "4x8 test" was my requirement also.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, I just measured it and without the floormat, you can just about make 3-3/4", so I guess 5 sheets of 3/4 could just squeeze in.

Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobf58:
Well, I just measured it and without the floormat, you can just about make 3-3/4", so I guess 5 sheets of 3/4 could just squeeze in.

Bob
</font>
Thanks Bob. I'll just have to remember that there is a limit to what fits completely inside, otherwise I'll have to plan on them sticking out the rear door... With any luck I'm done with projects of that magnitude, but I'll think of something else to build. That sound you heard was my wife groaning...

I just picked the number 5 out of the air. My original intent in the question was, which BTW hasn't really been answered, is much force required to squish the seat perfectly flat (and the weight of a few sheets of plywood came to mind) assuming the cushion thickness was responsible and they just need to be "deflated" a bit, or is it mechanically prevented from being perfectly flush? Thx.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I noticed that with the seat folded the hinges the seat is attached to are resting on the floor. It seems they limit how low the seat can go. For me adding weight to the folded seat won't move it any lower.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Of course now I wonder why, but it can be lived with. Thanks for your help.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
354 Posts
I too, was surprised with the "casual" fit of the magic seat when I got the Ody. I've had a couple wagons and a SUV in the past, and they've all had an "exact" fit. I also noticed that it makes no difference whether or not the cargo tray is in.

This seat is still far batter than anything anyone else has, with the possible exception of Mazda's copy, I haven't seen that one, So I'll take it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts