Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 EX-L Magic Slide Removal: I'm probably one of the few Odyssey owners who doesn't need any rear seats, so if you haul cargo, camp in it, or use it as a dogmobile like I do, you may be interested to see how I removed not only the middle seats, but also the magic slides they sit on, then attempted to make as flat a surface as possible using thick yoga mats I got on-sale on Prime day. It was easier than I thought it would be to remove the slides, with the right tools. I needed a size T50 security-torx bit (found at Lowes) and ratchet to remove the bolt that blocks the slide from coming off the track. I should have taken more pics for each step, esp. removing the door edge/step trim: I had to be careful not to lose any clips, that they went back in the correct holes.

First, I gently removed the outer step trim, it snaps on and off. Next, I carefully disconnected the plugs for the electrical wiring controlling the sliding door so I could remove the remaining step trim. Then I removed the security-torx bolt from inside the slide track, then the bolt on the outside edge of the track. The slide then came right off. I re-installed both bolts so I know where they are if I ever want to put the slides and seats back in. I reconnected the electrical wires, and carefully snapped the step trim back in place. I then tested the power sliding door to make sure it worked. I repeated same steps for the opposite door.

I was left with a small hump in the center that the center console attaches to. I cut out and pieced together with duct tape the 1" thick yoga matts (dark teal) to level it out around that hump, then covered everything over with an extra large, wide thinner exercise matt (pink) that I trimmed to fit the contours of the van, leaving a little extra to cover the step trim so my dogs don't slip on the plastic when getting out of the van. In the rear half of the van, I have the OEM folding floor matt that meets up with the matted area in the center, where I tucked a wool blanket underneath to level it out. I then added a cotton king quilt over everything to keep it clean from dog hair.

My very large dogs now enjoy a big flat area when we travel, and I can sleep back there if I ever need to, it's quite comfy. And if I ever do need to carry passengers, I can still easily pull up the third row seats. We just spent 10 days on a road trip with the dogs, and all of the matting stayed in place perfectly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice job! Shame that Honda abandoned the flat floor of previous generations...

I removed the passenger 2nd row seat, filled the floor space with rigid florist foam, and laid a thick rubber mat over the whole area. With grand kids we have to be able to use the 2nd row upon occasion.

Very interested in that net partition unit you mounted behind the front row - is the net strong enough to stop a 60 lb canine from being a projectile without a restraint in place? Now I'm using a custom leash attached to his harness and to the 3rd-row hanging seat belt attachment to keep him out of the windshield (and the back of our heads!).
Any info on that unit would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jeff, no I would not think that the cargo barrier I have behind my front seats would be considered crash-proof in that regard, but it may help. Really, the only way to go crash-proof, other than a safety harness as you mention, is to use a crash-tested crate secured to the van floor, like a Vario-cage, Impact, Zinger, or similar. What that barrier is good for, however, is when we are parked at a dog event (I show my dogs as well as participate in dog sports like agility), and the dogs are loose in the van, I can leave windows down (with window guards), rear hatch open with a similar barrier, and they get plenty of air. The main reason I don't have a crash-tested crate right now, is my 140 lb giant-breed male won't fit into any regular-size one, we'd have to go custom, and then I would not be able to fit in a second crate for my female. Both dogs are also too large for any harness to fit them correctly or safely. Many people with giant breeds face this dilemma, and have a custom-fabricated barrier built for front and rear of the van. We are looking into that, but meanwhile, the front mesh barrier works very well for our needs. I got it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076BE458/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
944 Posts
Interesting, Moutaindog! When you have a chance, would you please post a pic of the floor without all your stuff in it? I agree that Honda REALLY dropped the ball on this stupid of designs. I don't see why they can't build a stow and go system like the Dodge Caravan!!?? Thanks...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, Moutaindog! When you have a chance, would you please post a pic of the floor without all your stuff in it? I agree that Honda REALLY dropped the ball on this stupid of designs. I don't see why they can't build a stow and go system like the Dodge Caravan!!?? Thanks...
I'll try to remember to take a pic next time I clean out the van, but meanwhile, the third pic down gives a good idea of the center area underneath the matting I put in. For someone like me, I would just prefer to remove the seats, I'd be afraid that any stow-n-go feature in the center would cause a rise in the height of the floor to accommodate them, and I don't want the floor raised any higher than needed, esp. as my dogs age. Plus I don't want to carry around all that extra weight of seats I never use, it must affect gas mileage. And finally, you would not be able to have a spare tire if you have stowed seats.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Good points, Mountaindog! I think the way Dodge gets around the extra height is by making the second-row seats much thinner. I've heard they are not nearly as nice for long trips as the Ody.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice job! Shame that Honda abandoned the flat floor of previous generations...

I removed the passenger 2nd row seat, filled the floor space with rigid florist foam, and laid a thick rubber mat over the whole area. With grand kids we have to be able to use the 2nd row upon occasion.

Very interested in that net partition unit you mounted behind the front row - is the net strong enough to stop a 60 lb canine from being a projectile without a restraint in place? Now I'm using a custom leash attached to his harness and to the 3rd-row hanging seat belt attachment to keep him out of the windshield (and the back of our heads!).
Any info on that unit would be appreciated.
What does your second row area look like? Did you remove all the seats from the second row? Interested in seeing how it came out. The magic slide has an arm what sticks up from the ground a little so not sure how it would look if covered with a mat. I assume you are just hauling items and don't need to walk on it? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does your second row area look like? Did you remove all the seats from the second row? Interested in seeing how it came out. The magic slide has an arm what sticks up from the ground a little so not sure how it would look if covered with a mat. I assume you are just hauling items and don't need to walk on it? Thanks.
Odypack, did you read my original post at top and view the photos? I removed the slides, period. The photos show what it looks like with no 2nd row seats and no slides.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good points, Mountaindog! I think the way Dodge gets around the extra height is by making the second-row seats much thinner. I've heard they are not nearly as nice for long trips as the Ody.
The seats in the pacifica are VERY uncomfortable. We rented one for a weeklong trip and after the rental we looked at the odyssey, sat in the second row and was instantly impressed.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The seats in the Pacifica are VERY uncomfortable. We rented one for a weeklong trip and after the rental, we looked at the odyssey, sat in the second row and was instantly impressed.
And therein lies the problem. My 2002 Ody had very nice second-row seats. When you removed them, the floor was not entirely flat but very usable, unlike the mountain range of a floor in the 5th generation! Back then, Honda used common sense to satisfy BOTH markets - those who haul people and those who haul cargo. This new ingenious design is only good for hauling people. I should have had the salesman remove the seats so I could discover this design before signing on the dotted line. Meanwhile, the second-row seats in the 5th generation are fantastic! Unfortunately, they sit in my basement and occupy twice the floor area of my 2002 seats. These new ones don't fold up very well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mountaindog - thanks for the info and link to your mesh barrier!

As for my floor mod, I left the left side 2nd row bucket installed with child seat and removed the right side 2nd row bucket. To even out the floor, I inserted several sections of rigid foam from a florist supply shop, covered in tin foil to reduce heat and contain any crumbling, and then laid a heavy, cushioned floor rubber mat from ULine ( https://www.uline.com/BL_1752/Cadillac-Mats?keywords=Cadillac+Mats ) over that section and extending back to the tailgate. Van is now 27 months "old" and everything has held up.
Finally cut a few holes in the mat where it covers the mid-floor output vents when the HVAC is set to floor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mountaindog - thanks for the info and link to your mesh barrier!

As for my floor mod, I left the left side 2nd row bucket installed with child seat and removed the right side 2nd row bucket. To even out the floor, I inserted several sections of rigid foam from a florist supply shop, covered in tin foil to reduce heat and contain any crumbling, and then laid a heavy, cushioned floor rubber mat from ULine ( https://www.uline.com/BL_1752/Cadillac-Mats?keywords=Cadillac+Mats ) over that section and extending back to the tailgate. Van is now 27 months "old" and everything has held up.
Finally cut a few holes in the mat where it covers the mid-floor output vents when the HVAC is set to floor.
That's a nice mat you have. I also know of several of my dog friends who bought a 4'x6' rubber horse stall mat at Tractor Supply and cut it to fit their van floor, it's an inexpensive option that works well, but I just didn't want to deal with the rubber smell (plus those mats are really heavy to maneuver) so opted for the yoga mats instead. I had also used the rigid foam at first, but my dog's claws and weight really made the foam crumble apart, so looked for something else, but your foil idea is a good one.

Also, my 2019 does not have any floor vents, so that wasn't an issue with the floor mats, the 2019 only has vents on the sides about halfway up near the rear cupholders.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mountaindog,

I can't believe different trim levels on the Ody may or may not have HVAC vents in the floor - it would cost Honda too much. Just behind the 2nd row, middle of floor. Honda Ody floor vent.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mountaindog,

I can't believe different trim levels on the Ody may or may not have HVAC vents in the floor - it would cost Honda too much. Just behind the 2nd row, middle of floor. View attachment 152463
Sorry, you are right, I forgot about that vent, it is not as prominent as the older models' vents. It doesn't stick up very much, and I have the rear climate set to just vent from the side vents, so hopefully it's not a problem that I covered that floor vent over with my mats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Odypack, did you read my original post at top and view the photos? I removed the slides, period. The photos show what it looks like with no 2nd row seats and no slides.
I was referencing a quote by Jeff999. I think he didn't remove the magic slide and wanted to see how flat he made his bed. But maybe he has a different year. I prefer not to remove the magic slide as I need to put the seat back in to haul guests once in a while. I moved the magic slide to the center seat area as having it near the door seemed like a trip hazard. The walk in from the door is pretty nice.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Agreed. The magic slide is a dream come true for carrying people. For carry cargo, it's worse than the plague! It never used to be that way until some dimwit decided to sour the milk!!! We used to have the best of both worlds - not anymore :(.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
6 Participants
Hodna
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing