Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had installed the 5/16" Magnefine when I installed my cooler and changed the fluid/cleaned the screens. I installed the 5/16 filter as recomended on another post here. After shifting became eratic I pulled the linear and Torque conver/shift selenoid A and checked the screens. Again the tubes were clean but the round screen in the Torque conver/shift selenoid A was completely filled with debris (it looked and felt like felt). I was looking at my Magnefine installation and I have it installed before the cooler. Should I move it to after the cooler? Could the cooler be releasing debris back into the transmission? How did the screen get plugged again with the Magnefine?
2nd question-I measured the hard lines with a caliper and they are 3/8" OD. So why the 5/16" Magnefine? Should I get a 3/8" Magnefine before I move it? Car will not be driven until I get this resolved.
Thanks
Tony
2000 Odyssey 106K mi

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
The Odyssey takes the bigger 3/8th and the ATF filter is to be installed after the cooler in the return line to the transmission. The filter is recommended to be installed before the cooler ONLY on a new transmission and cooler.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks-I thought the filter went after the cooler. my transmission guy says the torque converter is putting the trash into the transmission. Is this common for the torque converter to fail? It looks like the screen is going to plug up as fast as I can clean it-we only put about 50 miles on it before the screen plugged again.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks-I thought the filter went after the cooler. my transmission guy says the torque converter is putting the trash into the transmission. Is this common for the torque converter to fail? It looks like the screen is going to plug up as fast as I can clean it-we only put about 50 miles on it before the screen plugged again.
Tony H, I realize I am asking after 8+ years. Any update on what you did next. I think my transmission is going through clogging screens quite soon as well. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the material blocking the screens is fibrous, it's most likely clutch material. I have no knowledge of how the lockup function inside the torque converter works.There may be a clutch inside using the same material. But its possible that the clutches in the transmission itself are wearing excessively. It seems to be a common failure for our transmissions.If you notice ANY slippage, the time is short for failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts