Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this product line on Ebay - it is a Hood-bra made of the same vinyl-encased magnetic material that seals your fridge door tight. It seals to your hood in a water tight manner and prevents dirt and road grime from getting underneath the bra and damaging the paint.

Here is the pic of it on the Odyssey:

http://www.magnetbra.com/Odyssey.html

Here is the link to the entire website.

www.magnetbra.com

Everything they claim on their website seems logical, and I like the way it tightly conforms to the body lines of the hood.

I already have a BugflectorII on my ODY that I am very happy with, but I did just order one of these for my 2001 Sentra SE.

http://www.magnetbra.com/Sentra.html

Cost was $29.00 plus $10.95 shipping to Canada.

I will post a review when it arrives!

·
Registered
308 Posts
PD55, did you get your nose cover yet. I'm considering a full honda version till I saw this style now I don't know which type works better for me. Please reply so I can get some sense of direction. Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
it might not be so bad if it were painted....

·
Registered
219 Posts
This looks interesting.
I wonder how this will hold up in the Califonia climate or desert heat. Looks like it may be wider than the Honda bra, which is good news.

·
Registered
219 Posts
FYI: This is what I got from the manufacturerer:
"The bra goes from
side to side on the hood and it is about 11" deep at the center. The material can be painted. We don't have long-term experience with auto paint but there is also the option of getting it painted by a sign painter. The material has been extensively tested in all climate conditions. It will handle temperatures up to about 150 degrees. The bra will not blow off of the car at any speed"

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wonder how it can be theft -proof as claimed in the website.
Can anyone who has installed this tells us the secret?

·
Registered
261 Posts
lotus18 said:
I wonder how it can be theft -proof as claimed in the website.
Can anyone who has installed this tells us the secret?
I guess the magnetic film would have to bend at the edges of the hood into the under-side of the hood. (provided you do not have an under-hood-pad, like the pre-2002 that do not have pad)

·
Registered
421 Posts
abyez said:
I guess the magnetic film would have to bend at the edges of the hood into the under-side of the hood. (provided you do not have an under-hood-pad, like the pre-2002 that do not have pad)
So then what's the point of it being magnetic if it fastens to the underside of the hood?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Phace said:
So then what's the point of it being magnetic if it fastens to the underside of the hood?
Reason why it's magnetic is so water doesn't go inside the bra which may cause your front hood to discolor.

Anyway, I emailed the manufacturer...they said $44.95 + $8.95 shipping for our Ody's. I guess the ebay deal is better.

I think I'm gonna get it. If I find a good deal, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
where can I get it painted? I want the EP and the clearcoat... why not? :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I still don't understand why this magnetic bra won't discolor the hood like the regular bra does.
It covers just part of the front end of the hood. After months of exposure to the sun light and when the magnetic bra is removed, you will see 2 different tone of body color on the hood. Don't you agree?

·
Registered
421 Posts
lotus18 said:
I still don't understand why this magnetic bra won't discolor the hood like the regular bra does.
It covers just part of the front end of the hood. After months of exposure to the sun light and when the magnetic bra is removed, you will see 2 different tone of body color on the hood. Don't you agree?
Not if you use Sunscreen! :p

(in Florida, you learn to get used to sunscreen EVERY DAY)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This Product sucks and the company is NOT reputable!!!

Sorry for not responding earlier - I have not logged on in a while - and I certainly hope nobody has ordered one and learned the hard way.

The Product:
The bra is nothing more than a sheet of magnetic vinyl material that is cut roughly to the shape of the hood. It sits on top of the hood and IS IN NO WAY theftproof. With the single sheet of magnetic vinyl is a "C" shaped flexible channel that you put over the front lip of your hood and the front lip of the vinyl - giving the illusion of a Bra, and stopping the peice of crap from lifting at highway speeds.

In short - it is a joke - it looks like a joke and the one that I received did not accurately fit my car's hood.

The Company:
The company has a website where they say all the right things - guaranteed! Satisfaction! Lots of pictures that *almost* show the product (but never quite get close enough to show it for what it is). They sell the product here with warranties and guarantees galore, and they also sell on Ebay.

On Ebay, they direct you to their website to learn all about the product and the company.

When I was not happy and contacted them for a refund I was told that it did not apply to Ebay purchases. I pointed out that because they did not state this on their auction, and further referenced their website for product details that they had to honour the guarantee. Unfortunately this guy has no concept of honour.

He wouldn't budge, and the owner became sarcastic and demeaning in his emails. It is perfectly clear that he will never have a repeat buyer - just poor suckers like me that gambled based on poor pictures and website rhetoric.

These guys are NOT TO BE TRUSTED.

Hope this helps someone avoid a $40 loss.

·
Registered
421 Posts
thanks for the feedback.. wow.. I was thinking about this... not anymore.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're welcome.

For hood protection I don't think you can beat the acrylic "BugFlectorII" from Ventshade. It is smaller and more stylish than the OEM, follows the lines of the hood beautifully, and I got mine at a walmart in Toronto for $65 Canadian.

Van just turned 1 yesterday and the BugflectorII is holding up perfectly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ventshade BugFlectorII vs Honda bug deflector

PD55 said:
You're welcome.

For hood protection I don't think you can beat the acrylic "BugFlectorII" from Ventshade. It is smaller and more stylish than the OEM, follows the lines of the hood beautifully, and I got mine at a walmart in Toronto for $65 Canadian.

Van just turned 1 yesterday and the BugflectorII is holding up perfectly.
How different is this from the Honda bug deflector? Is it any better?

Also, for those who bought a Honda deflector, how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
478 Posts
PD55- Thanks a bunch for the alert! Here is another alternative, don't have any first hand experience but have heard some good things about it from an installer of the product on some high end cars...FWIW
http://www.clearbra.net/home.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts