Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I'm mistaken I can't find a chart in the manual for my 08 EXL-RES that contains the milestone mileages for fluid changes and other items.

The manual for my '04 Pilot had such a chart.

Specifically, I need the mileage intervals for:

1) Coolant
2) Trans Fluid
3) Air Filter
4) Brake Fluid
5) Cabin Air Filter
6) Brake Pads
7) Brake Fluids
8) Timing Belt
9) Idle Speed
10) Spark Plugs
11) Anything else you feel I should include

I want to enter this all into an Excel spreadsheet like I did for my Pilot. I use it to keep track of services I need to perform, services performed, and the cost with each servicing.

BTW, there's no differential VTM-4 fluid like in my Pilot right? Forgive me for asking a dumb question (not a mechanic here) but why is this the case?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
***snip***BTW, there's no differential VTM-4 fluid like in my Pilot right? Forgive me for asking a dumb question (not a mechanic here) but why is this the case?

Thanks!
Good question.

The differential is part of the transmission in a front-wheel drive car. So the differential is lubricated by the automatic transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken I can't find a chart in the manual for my 08 EXL-RES that contains the milestone mileages for fluid changes and other items.
There isn't one (isn't one for our 05, either) - the maintenance minder tells you when different things need replacing. Timing belt and spark plugs are at 105k miles, brake pads are whenever they wear out, brake fluid is whenever it takes on too much water or when you replace your pads (if you live in a climate where it rains, I'd flush the fluid every year or two), oil seems to be every 7k miles or so, etc. The manual should explain what the messages the car gives you mean in terms of what needs replacing when.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There isn't one (isn't one for our 05, either) - the maintenance minder tells you when different things need replacing.
There must be one somewhere. Who sells a vehicle and doesn't tell you how to properly take care of it? What if the maintenance minder is faulty? People like to know when maintenance needs to be done in advance so they can budget the necessary time & money.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Ask your dealer. I am sure they have a good maintenance schedule for you.

If not, here it is.

OCI every 1500 miles
Air filter 6K
ATF every 5K
New engine 20K
New wheels/tires 2.5K
Brake fluid every 500 miles. Air gets in and air contains moisture you know..
:
:
:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was just thinking it was about time to change my air filters as its been awhile (2+ years - 24,000 miles) and if I got a MM code of A2, I probably ignored that it included an air filter change, and when I go to the dealer for service I only have them do the oil and any recalls.

So here's the chart from the 2007 manual (online version) that shows a 15,000 mile interval if ones drives in dusty conditions, which probably defines the desert regions of Arizona!

Anyone know the "best" place to get air filters? I usually start at Wal-Mart and go from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed that this question comes up frequently and the answer that usually comes with it is the reference to the Maintenance Minder (the previously attached page from the manual). What is being asked here and elsewhere is what is the mileage associated with each of these tasks? We realize "it's in the manual" or is told by the "Maintenance Minder" but there are those that want to be able to plan for when things should be done and not when these things are going to suddenly pop up on our dash. We know that when we get a B3 we are going to have to change the oil, filter, air filter, etc. but when can we expect to get a B3? B5? My guess is that Honda doesn't want to come out and state what these intervals are.

:(

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I've noticed that this question comes up frequently and the answer that usually comes with it is the reference to the Maintenance Minder (the previously attached page from the manual). What is being asked here and elsewhere is what is the mileage associated with each of these tasks? We realize "it's in the manual" or is told by the "Maintenance Minder" but there are those that want to be able to plan for when things should be done and not when these things are going to suddenly pop up on our dash. We know that when we get a B3 we are going to have to change the oil, filter, air filter, etc. but when can we expect to get a B3? B5? My guess is that Honda doesn't want to come out and state what these intervals are.

:(
It's not that simple any more. The MM calculates service life based on individual driving conditions. It's meant to save you money. For example, a van driven mostly on the freeway will go farther on an engine oil change than one driven short distances.

Also, the MM is not like a check engine light. You don't have to head straight for the dealer when service is due. There's leeway built into the reminders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would prefer to have a general service interval idea also vs. counting on the computer to confirm when items should / need to be done.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I would prefer to have a general service interval idea also vs. counting on the computer to confirm when items should / need to be done.
So, why don't you pull up the schedule from the model before the MM was introduced and stick to that then? That would be the 2004 model year. The owner's manuals are in stickies in the gen specific forums.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Honda manual for my 2008 says that Brake fluid must be change at 3 years.I think it was under checking fluid that is said this. However the went to have it done;the dealer advised that the brake fluid had already been flushed and replaced when they did the brake recall ;so wasn't needed then.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
The Honda manual for my 2008 says that Brake fluid must be change at 3 years.I think it was under checking fluid that is said this. However the went to have it done;the dealer advised that the brake fluid had already been flushed and replaced when they did the brake recall ;so wasn't needed then.
Honda's intervals are usually conservative, but I think they blew this one. 3 years between brake fluid changes is probably okay in dry Phoenix for example, but if I lived in wet San Francisco for example, I would definitely change it every two years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts