Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for our 05, the maintenance minder had us changing oil at 6250 miles, give or take a little (average after 42 oil changes) - for our 16 which we've had for a while, it's averaging around 8100 miles... I figured the algorithm was more or less mileage based, but did something change from the previous generation? Oil viscosity recommendation is a little different (0w20 vs. 5w20) but that's about it, I thought... also - last engine didn't have VCM (it was an 05 EX) - did the 05 EX-L/Touring have a longer typical drain interval? (I am not at all concerned about it - I always run synthetic, so 8k is still probably overkill, I am just curious if anyone else noticed the same)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Official oil recommended for 2005 was 5W20 regular dino oil while 2016 is 0W20 Full Synthetic. It's the synthetic oil that gets the longer interval.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - the 16 calls out regular dino oil, too - the owners manual states just an "energy conserving and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest requirements" and "Use a Genuine Honda Motor Oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature as shown" - at the bottom of the page it notes "You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade"

So synthetic is most definitely not required. The drain interval was just seemingly increased.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmmm, I was fairly certain full syn was specified, but at any rate 0W20 is NOT available as straight dino oil. 0W20 is only available as synthetic blend or full synthetic, so the interval difference is still fairly easily explained due to the better quality oil.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That's my understanding too. True or not, many sources say that 0W-20 is only found as a synthetic, so saying 0W-20 implies synthetic whether they explicitly say it or not.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not realize that 0W20 was only available as a synthetic! Some articles suggest that all 0Wxx oil is synthetic (I googled a bit and that looks like it might also be true). So the switch to synthetic sounds like the difference - the owners manual must just be boilerplate text they have used forever. Just weird because my car requires synthetic, and just states that in the owners manual (it's a subaru - I think all of them recommend synthetic now, but for my car, they only required it for one engine at the time)

·
Registered
754 Posts
pkrface nailed it. No refiner makes 0w20 in a dino oil! "Automakers including Honda and Toyota are almost exclusively switching from well-known 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils to low-friction, and pricier, 0W-20 synthetic oil. The slippery low-friction oils help squeeze every last bit of fuel economy out of the engine, but their synthetic blend raises the cost of routine maintenance. "

1 - 8 of 8 Posts