Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I got Maintenance minder code A7 in less than 10,000 miles and 2 year of age.
is it common to change break fluide (7) for car that driven less than 10,000 miles and 2 years old ???

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi,
is it common to change break fluide (7) for car that driven less than 10,000 miles and 2 years old ???
For a normal car - yes, you do want to change the brake fluid every ~2 years.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it absorbs moisture out of the air. The longer brake fluid sits in the brake lines, the more moisture it absorbs out of the atmosphere.
DOT specifies maximum water content in brake fluid of 3.7%, which is what you brake fluid will contain after ~2 years of service. It wont brake down if you keep it longer, it will just absorb more and more moisture over time, and its boiling temperature will get lower and lower as a consequence.

If you promise to never EVER use the brakes repeatedly, or rely on them in an emergency situation, this doesn't matter. You can keep the brake fluid in for the duration of your lease period, or forever, and the worst that can happen is all the extra water will start corroding the calipers. Or it may boil and allow the brake pedal to hit the floor without slowing the car, after a few repeated stops.
No big deal - your car will hit something, eventually, and will come to a stop by means of impact braking.

But if you live in humid climate, or want to know that you brake fluid wont turn into vapor and your brakes will work at all times, I would definitely make an effort to bleed the brakes every 2 years.

More info here:

·
Registered
281 Posts
For the most part, the braking system in a vehicle is closed, meaning bits of grit and grime can’t make their way in through any holes or gateways. In theory, that should mean the brake fluid inside the system will never get dirty and things like a brake fluid flush or replacement should be reserved for rare occasions when something serious is amiss. Unfortunately, your brake system doesn’t operate in a theoretical realm and moisture can make its way into the brake fluid through the hydraulic lines. As that moisture causes the fluid to chemically break down and the moisture begins to rust metal components in the system as a whole, you can end up with contaminated brake fluid.

everyone can google

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The rule of thumb used to be every three years regardless of mileage for exactly the reason everyone else has already outlined - the moisture that the brake fluid accumulates is a big deal.

I'm surprised to see the Maintenance Minder call for brake fluid service after two years. That feels early to me (but then again, I'm used to the three-year cycle). I wonder if the system has the ability to measure water content? If you live in a humid environment, the fluid could contaminate more quickly. Can the van tell?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi,
You can test your brake fluid to verify if it is a go or no go, these tester's are a tool, not to be used as a absolute testing method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
DJVAN
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing