Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Does synthetic oil last longer between oil changes?
2. On 2019 Odyssey EXL with around 9 K miles, I am currently getting the 10% reminder after around 3750 miles when I asked the technician he said it depends on things like the number of times you switch on the car, I would think a minivan will have lot of short trips with kids shouldn't the car be designed to support longer intervals between oil changes?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
1. Yes
2. The technician is correct, but the concept of a minivan being specially designed for short trips and still have longer maintenance intervals is a false assumption. At the heart the engine is still an internal combustion engine the same as any other gasoline engine. If you are doing lots of cold starts/short trips and the engine is enduring the significant wear that occurs with that activity then service it accordingly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Shorter trips = more frequent oil changes.
Answer: There is no reason for the dealer or any mechanic to insist that oil be changed at specific time intervals without considering how the car is driven.

But you probably should have the oil changed every three months if you use the car only for short trips on city streets, particularly in cold weather.

Such driving, in which the engine never reaches its proper operating temperature, can cause condensation of water inside the crankcase and dilution of the oil by gasoline.

Water contamination of the oil occurs when moist air is drawn into the crankcase and condenses after the engine is turned off. Frequent short trips increase the amount of condensation.

The water in the crankcase is not harmful, but it can combine with sulfur, a byproduct of combustion, to form sulfurous acid, a weak acid that breaks down the lubricating qualities of the oil.

The fuel contamination is a separate problem. In the carburetors of older engines and even some fuel-injected engines, a richer mix of fuel is sent to the engine on cold starts. Also on cold starts, some gasoline seeps down the cylinder walls into the crankcase. A small amount of gasoline contamination is not harmful, but larger amounts dilute the oil and lower the viscosity--again compromising the oil’s lubricating qualities.

Another problem associated with driving a car only on short trips is that engine deposits tend to increase because the combustion chamber never heats up enough to burn off hard carbon that forms on the piston head and valves. Eventually, this can cause engine ping, because the deposits create localized hot spots inside the combustion chamber that cause the fuel to burn unevenly.

When you drive a car a long distance, the engine, coolant and oil all get quite hot and these contaminants are boiled out of the oil and soot does not form as quickly. If the weather is cold, you need to drive a lot farther, certainly more than 10 miles at freeway speeds, to reach operating temperature. In warmer weather typical to Southern California, even a five-mile drive on the freeway can get the temperature to a normal range.

If you drive mostly on long but infrequent trips, there is nothing wrong with changing your oil every six months or even every year, according to Texaco oil experts.

The final consideration is your car warranty. If the manufacturer specifically requires you to change the oil based on elapsed time, it would probably be worth doing so until the warranty expires. If the engine needed a repair covered under the warranty, a dealer might balk at honoring a claim if the oil changes did not follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mechanic is correct.

The way the oil change monitor is set is way more accurate than the old 3,000 miles / 3 months standard as it actually goes by the use of your engine. You may be able to get up to 10,000 miles between oil changes if all you do is exclusively highway driving.

·
Registered
433 Posts
A car with 100k highway miles is much better than 100k city miles.

Our ‘18 Elite is primarily city use, but I’m usually at 10-15% every 5,500 miles. I do it myself since it’s really easy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
2. On 2019 Odyssey EXL with around 9 K miles, I am currently getting the 10% reminder after around 3750 miles when I asked the technician he said it depends on things like the number of times you switch on the car, I would think a minivan will have lot of short trips with kids shouldn't the car be designed to support longer intervals between oil changes?
The percentage indicator is how many miles that Honda says the oil should last in Honda's. If you use a full synthetic (I would recommend it) oil the oil changes can be stretched out further between. The engine does not have a carbon monitoring detector built into it. I will agree with others city start and go's will require more oil changes. Also best if you turn off the Auto Idle Stop, there is a lot of message in this forum about the AIS however, for the tree-huggers they want it. You have to turn it off every time you start the ODY.
Auto Idle Stop (AIS).GIF

·
Registered
243 Posts
I drive only 3.4 miles to work and back...everyday... total.. that is 1.6 miles one way... it is a disaster for my van... and that is why I'm planning on changing oil once every 2500 miles, max 3000... I wish I had my EV... that things didn't really care how long you drive

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any reason why they sometimes say only oil change and no filter change?

Anybody does that?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Any reason why they sometimes say only oil change and no filter change?

Anybody does that?
Nobody with a brain lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drive only 3.4 miles to work and back...everyday... total.. that is 1.6 miles one way... it is a disaster for my van... and that is why I'm planning on changing oil once every 2500 miles, max 3000... I wish I had my EV... that things didn't really care how long you drive
More frequent oil changes is critical in your usage case. But on top of this, I would recommend a longer drive (minimum 5+ minutes after the temp indication has gone out) every week or so to get the oil in the crankcase hot enough to boil off the lighter volatiles. These lighter volatiles come mostly from blowby from the combustion chamber, getting pass the piston rings and valve seals, and will dilute the motor oil in you crankcase, additionally some of these volatiles are mildly corrosive.
This is a bigger issue in colder climates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your 2019 Odyssey requires 0W-20 oil, which is either a synthetic blend or full synthetic. Full synthetic is what most of the oils are but there may still be a few brands of synthetic blend. I believe Honda oil (which is manufactured by by Phillips 66 as of 2019) no longer makes a synthetic blend in 0W-20.

The car doesn't know what oil you have in it, it only monitors the engine temp, speed, rpm, etc and gives a result using the Maintenance Minder.

You could run conventional, synthetic blend, or synthetic under the same conditions and the MM will count down at the same rate each time regardless of oil weight or type.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your 2019 Odyssey requires 0W-20 oil, which is either a synthetic blend or full synthetic. Full synthetic is what most of the oils are but there may still be a few brands of synthetic blend. I believe Honda oil (which is manufactured by by Phillips 66 as of 2019) no longer makes a synthetic blend in 0W-20.

The car doesn't know what oil you have in it, it only monitors the engine temp, speed, rpm, etc and gives a result using the Maintenance Minder.

You could run conventional, synthetic blend, or synthetic under the same conditions and the MM will count down at the same rate each time regardless of oil weight or type.
Thanks for the insights

1 - 13 of 13 Posts