Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Odyssey with 140,000 miles on it. It runs great & has no issues. The timing belt & water pump were replaced (coolant too) , the spark plugs were replaced, and a remanufactured transmission was installed about 37,000 miles ago. I keep up with oil & filter changes, tire rotations & the other periodic checks. We use this van for travel in the Summer & it usually involves driving at highway speeds for about 10 hours (only stopping for gas, etc).

The factory maintenance schedule stops at 120,000 miles.

Does anyone know what things are recommended to be replaced now to avoid any problems on our long trips?

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
The schedule repeats after 120K.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is based on my '99 with 225K miles on it now. I wish I had kept better records other than "Oil change, air filter, ATF etc...". I strated keeping better records at around 160k miles. New cat converter. Go with an aftermarket and use the spark plug fouler trick. EGR port cleaning about every 80k miles if you didn't have the mod done. Ignition switch (electrical portion), alternator at 217k miles, another ignition switch at 217k miles. Front struts and rear shocks at 224k miles, new front brake rotors at 224k miles, new upstream O2 sensor every 100k miles or so. Inner and outer tie rods. Valve cover gasket at 225k miles, lower control arms at 225k miles

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years. I also siphon out and replace as much power steering fluid as possible every year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't forget about the cabin filter. I would switch over to Mobil 1 engine oil if you have not done so yet. I did mine after much research and I would say "night" and "day". Also I switched over to Valvoline MaxLife ATF, I had used the Honda Recommended ATF with bad results, starting getting small leaks on the transaxle. Switched to Valvoline ATF and leaks went away. Also remember there is a rear heater core on the passenger side in the rear of the van. There are two (2) 5/8" ID radiator hoses that can fail. They are about 42" long and it takes some patience to removal the rear panel but if you forget about them they may fail and leave you on the the side of the road. Don't forget to change all the coolant hoses at the firewall, it's a little tight back there but if you do your own oil changes you can do it. O'Reilly Auto Parts has all the hoses (Gates hoses). Keep up with the two engine belts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts