Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 EX, so no bluetooth or XM radio... or so I thought. However, my maintenance reminder light came on about two weeks ago, and the other day a form letter from Honda arrives reminding me about the maintenance light, what it indicates and so forth, and points me to the dealer for service. It could be that that's just coincidence, based on average mileage or time since last oil change, but I also noticed this the last time the maintenance light appeared. I suspect now that the van is somehow reporting the maintenance light trigger to Honda, whether through some radio ping or bluetooth receptor in perhaps the dealer as I drive by. This might sound paranoid, but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this, or knows more about it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not aware of that with Honda but I know that several years ago some BMW models (7 series) had the capability to notify BMW when service was due. Low brake pad indicator would not light up on the dash but would notify BMWNA and they would notify the dealer who in turn would call you and tell you to come in for brake pads. That's my tired brain's recollection...don't know if it's 100% correct but I'm sure the technology is out there.--Dave

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's pure coincidence. Do you tend to drive below 15,000 a year? I ask because when you drive below average mileage, the Maintenance minder goes more by time... and so then it tends to line up better with when they send those form letters.

There is no radio transmitter in the Odyssey to send maintenance trigger signals to Honda.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Yes. The vans are linked with Honda Corp. Once, I got a letter in the mail from Honda asking me not to speed shortly after I got a speeding ticket.
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
Just kidding. Megatron here is spot on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My Odyssey turned me in to the local cops when I had a hooker in the van.

Damned Odyssey.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
There is no radio transmitter in the Odyssey to send maintenance trigger signals to Honda.
Or so you would think. Honda is so advanced that it might scare you what technology they tell to the dealers their cars have. Check this:

I told my dealer about this happening to me to and he said he is aware of the problem with the battery warning. he said that an update will probably be sent by Honda automatically to the vehicle over the air.
:stupid:

I'll go coincidence, I get those letters also for my other car, and both are quite off. Take advantage of the coupons though, I get good ones.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Maybe not but for some years now there's been no way to fudge on the facts when you're in an accident. Modern vehicles have computer chips not unlike the black boxes in aircraft and the data is recoverable after an accident.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Big Brother is watching...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies, everyone. One on hand, I agree it is probably coincidence, but it would be easy enough for Honda to use their Acuralink technology, through the XM sat. service.... except that my EX isn't supposed to have XM. Do you Odyssey XM/Sirius subscribers get service reminders/messages from Honda, like Acura owners? Anyway, maybe the next time your orange wrench appears, see if a letter follows in a week or two.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Do you Odyssey XM/Sirius subscribers get service reminders/messages from Honda, like Acura owners?
No, but when I cancelled the free XM trial subscription for mine the XM dudes kept on calling me every single day for like 2-3 weeks, until I found the 800 number somewhere on the web where you could cut the crap :p

That was high tech, believe me. But to your question. Other car manufacturers have similar things already out there (i.e. you get an e-mail sent from your car when an oil change is needed or other levels are lows, no dipstick), but knowing Honda, they would not add one cent to the car's cost if it is not perceived as a quick return to the sale...

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's no outbound communication from the Odyssey. XM and FM are receive only (I used to have DirecWay, which was broadcasting to satellites like those from DirecTV...that was a big dish :))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts