Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lyonsody:
Well,

Many of you might remember my earlier post about the brakes going out due to the master cylinder going bad on our brand new odyssey the first week we owned it.

We bought our van on April 16, just 54 days ago. We were on our first real family vacation yesterday in Pennsylvania (we live in Virginia.) and the power steering broke. Yes, it broke, just completely broke. Had it towed to the nearest Honda dealer.

They told us it was a total failure of the power steering linkage. This is a huge deal. The entire suspension must be taken apart to replace this part. The engine has to be supported by a special bracing system since all the support for the engine has to be removed. Again, this is a brand new van with only 2,300 miles on the odometer.

So, we drove back in a rental car. Arrived back home after midnight. I went to the local dealer I purchased from this morning. He wants me to contact Honda Monday morning and feels confident I'll get a new replacement van since it is the 2nd safety defect in less than 2 months. I'll keep all of you posted on this.

For now my faith in Honda quality has been severely shaken. Depending on how Honda responds I might feel better about our purchase.
</font>
I think you should insist on a replacement. The type of repair job that you described should be performed in Honda Factory not the dealer.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
At this point, I would be making a deal on a Dodge after Honda buys back the van. You are right, this is a big deal and the kind of thing that auto manufacturers and suppliers just cringe at when it happens.

I have never been personally involved in a major failure situation (knock on wood!!) but I know co-workers that have and it is a nightmare!

Hope Honda makes things right for you.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts