Honda Odyssey Forum banner

MAJOR transmission problem!!!

6854 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  smufguy
Has anyone had a problem like the following???

Here is the problem with my 2020 Odyssey EX-L : We were driving from Washington State to Michigan and got tied up in a slow moving backup do to an accident on I-84. For about an hour we were only moving at about 3 mph with stop and go. All of a sudden the car severely bucked about 4 times and felt like it was going to lock up or stall. The “bucking” was so severe my wife thought we had been rear-ended by another car! But, the Odyssey settled down and kept going at the 3 mph pace. But, when we cleared the traffic backup, it would not shift out of first gear. So, I had to limp alone on the shoulder until I could get off of I-84. I called Honda to arrange to have my car towed and they took it a Honda dealership and we booked a room at a motel.

The next day when I contacted the dealer he told me they had been working with Honda and did not know what was causing the problem. They said there were no “codes” showing up, which was really strange, so they had no idea as to what had happened. Honda instructed the dealer to replace the transmission, but the big problem is that there is no replacement transmission available in Utah or any surrounding state.

It is a 2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L 6 Cylinders 3.5L DI SOHC i-VTEC 212 CID.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Ask them if they had performed the recall on your vehicle that’s related to vehicle going into park while in motion due to battery issue.

Search for it, there is a recall about it, see if applies to your vehicle. Your transmission may be damaged if it’s the same root cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask them if they had performed the recall on your vehicle that’s related to vehicle going into park while in motion due to battery issue.

Search for it, there is a recall about it, see if applies to your vehicle. Your transmission may be damaged if it’s the same root cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had 5 recalls done before we started our travels about 2 1/2 months ago, but I will check to see about the recall you mentioned. I know that was not one of the 5 recalls they performed.

· Registered
98 Posts
I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I'm glad you're under warranty.

This is yet another thread about the 10-speed transmission failing. Probably because of the gimmicky engine auto start/stop feature.

Was the engine turning on and off while you were in the stop and go traffic?

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
Wow a 2020 Ody with major problems glad Im sticking with my trusty 06 Ody ! Let us know how this works out ,how Honda treated you , and if they cover room @ boarding expences ,loaner vehcle, etc. Goodluck.
It's quite a shame that these 5th gens have so many problems. Our trusty 3rd gens are still kicking and IMO, miles better.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I'm glad you're under warranty.

This is yet another thread about the 10-speed transmission failing. Probably because of the gimmicky engine auto start/stop feature.

Was the engine turning on and off while you were in the stop and go traffic?
I always turn off the "gimmicky engine auto start/stop feature" I HATE that "feature"!!!

· Registered
33 Posts
Probably let out the clutch too fast....kidding. Sorry for the troubles. Always been a Honda guy. But this site has soured my devotion. I use to dismiss it as a place for a "few" to come and vent their problems. But its like 90% negative and there are a lot people with real issues with their Odysseys. Although we had no major issues YET at 26k miles, there are still stuff that pisses me off, ie paint rubbing off on inside of sliding door, failed sat antenna, crackling speakers, shuttering brakes at speed, bent 3rd row seat latch from factory. Just waiting for the next thing. My wife and I work for a living and $35k is a lot of money for us. I hate the fact that I'm driving this thing and in the back of mind asking myself "is this machine going to breakdown on me?" If I had my way I would dump this van in a heartbeat but my wife loves driving it and I don't want to lose too much money. Not to mention, I just got out of my 2019 Accord and back into a Subaru. Ironically the Accord was brilliant and reliable but the payments on the van made the Accord no longer affordable. I guess I am waking up to the reality that I can't go t the Honda dealer anymore and buy something special and reliable like I did with the 20 Honda before this van. I wish you luck with your vehicle and hope Honda takes care of it for you.

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
Always been a Honda guy. But this site has soured my devotion.
Seriously. So many shifting issues with the 9 speed models + overall good things with the 10 speed. but... so far 3 9-speed failures and 7 10-speed failures reported here.

· Registered
391 Posts
Seriously. So many shifting issues with the 9 speed models + overall good things with the 10 speed. but... so far 3 9-speed failures and 7 10-speed failures reported here.
Not saying that there’s not some problems but Honda sold about 100,000 odyssey’s each year from 2018-2020 and your worried about 10 reported failures.....0.003%.

There’s always going to be failures and you might get a lemon but this is nothing new with cars.

The highest warranty claims of any vehicle ever made was the Ford 6.0 power stroke that’s infamous for egr cooler failures that ultimately blow head gaskets. Even then there were hundreds of thousands that didn’t have issues. An entire company was formed just to treat the issue, Bullet Proof Diesel.

My friend had a 2018 Chevy Silverado HD with the Allison transmission that’s supposed to be the best ever and it blew up at 20,000 miles and replaced under warranty.

My point is there’s always going to be failures and if you really look at the overall numbers it’s pretty low but still sucks when it’s yours.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
IMHO. The majority of owners, only drive and put in gas. They have no idea nor care how what makes a car "run".
When I see posts, mentioning the same problem. I feel, many more drivers are having the "same" issue,
but do not go on forums, and complain. The scope of the problem is much larger. Not smaller.

I figure, a good gauge, is when independent Mechanics, start seeing a trend, and are on forums, and
make comments. :)

· Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone had a problem like the following???

Here is the problem with my 2020 Odyssey EX-L : We were driving from Washington State to Michigan and got tied up in a slow moving backup do to an accident on I-84. For about an hour we were only moving at about 3 mph with stop and go. All of a sudden the car severely bucked about 4 times and felt like it was going to lock up or stall. The “bucking” was so severe my wife thought we had been rear-ended by another car! But, the Odyssey settled down and kept going at the 3 mph pace. But, when we cleared the traffic backup, it would not shift out of first gear. So, I had to limp alone on the shoulder until I could get off of I-84. I called Honda to arrange to have my car towed and they took it a Honda dealership and we booked a room at a motel.

The next day when I contacted the dealer he told me they had been working with Honda and did not know what was causing the problem. They said there were no “codes” showing up, which was really strange, so they had no idea as to what had happened. Honda instructed the dealer to replace the transmission, but the big problem is that there is no replacement transmission available in Utah or any surrounding state.

It is a 2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L 6 Cylinders 3.5L DI SOHC i-VTEC 212 CID.
Just experienced a very similar issue with our 2020 Odyssey Elite with 24,000 miles on it. Jerked forward from a stop and then would not advance beyond 1st gear. Multiple warning lights came on: check engine/ emissions/ back up camera and sensors. Dealer reported there was an electronic defect that destroyed the transmission. Refused to provide a loaner car and now waiting for a transmission replacement on a $50K vehicle with 24,000 miles on it.

· Registered
2019 Elite
612 Posts
Dealer reported there was an electronic defect that destroyed the transmission.
Dealerships do not diagnose transmissions failure (root cause) as they get sent back, unopened, to Honda for diagnosis.
What you would get from a dealership is if the behavior is within (or out of) spec and they advance you for a repair - qualified ones get a warranty replacement. Its hard for me to believe that your dealer said it is an electronic defect that destroyed the transmission. Sounds little hard to believe. 😏

· Registered
14 Posts
Just experienced a very similar issue with our 2020 Odyssey Elite with 24,000 miles on it. Jerked forward from a stop and then would not advance beyond 1st gear. Multiple warning lights came on: check engine/ emissions/ back up camera and sensors. Dealer reported there was an electronic defect that destroyed the transmission. Refused to provide a loaner car and now waiting for a transmission replacement on a $50K vehicle with 24,000 miles on it.
Our 2nd transmission with under 28000 miles is starting to hesitate while shifting. I expect to need a 3rd transmission any day now.

· Registered
2019 Elite
612 Posts
Our 2nd transmission with under 28000 miles is starting to hesitate while shifting. I expect to need a 3rd transmission any day now.
Stop doing burnouts. Honestly how? I am almost at 90K in my G5 and changed the transmission fluid for the second time. The transmission has no issues. I am perplexed how you are having issues.
is the replacement transmission under warranty?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.