Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking through the 2002 manual (I borrowed a manual) and I found on page 190 the following quote:
"A built-in DVD player allows the rear passengers to watch DVDs or video CDs."

I thought I heard someone mention that the RES does not play VCDs. Maybe the manual is wrong.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It could be one of two things:

1. It only plays commercially created video-CD's (i.e. it can't read CD-R or CD-RW)

2. It is picky as to the CD-R or CD-RW material. I know that many home DVD players only play video-CD's created on *certain* CDRW disks.

When our 02 EXL-RES arrives, I'll try several different media and let everyone know.

Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone actually tried a CD-RW in the dvd player? I sure would like to know for sure.

[This message has been edited by bt (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Although you can write audio tracks to CD-RW media in multiple sessions, an audio CD player (or DVD) until the **entire** disk is "closed". Closing an individual session will simply not work; the entire disk must be closed. Of course, after the disk is closed, you will lose the ability to erase the disk and/or write new data to it.

Even when closed, many audio CD players will still not read CD-RW disks at all. However, I've had no problem playing the CD-R disks I've compiled on 4 different CD player (3 in cars) or my home DVD player.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope VCD capability is true. I have been told before when I asked this will not work.

Please update us as soon as someone tests the RES system capability. I think NOT playing CD-RW's is no big deal. Most of us write music to CD-R's which I ASSUME will work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I sure hope VCD capability is true, also. I'm buying the RES so my kids can watch all their videos which are currently VHS. When someone tries out a VCD please let all of us know. Also let us know if it was recorded on a CDR or CD-RW.

Thanks.

If VCDs do work I'm planning on ordering the I/O Magic software that has been talked about previously.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know there are some RES owners out there. Did anyone try VCD's yet in the DVD player. I would like to start conversion of 10-20 kiddy & Disney tapes if this works.

Also did anyone mount a VCR in a RES yet? If so where? Just trying to get a jump up on my MB - RES due mid October. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have my RES yet, but the dealer thinks, after looking at one, that the best place to mount a VCP would be under the second row driver's side seat. Probably run the cables over the carper to the trim and under. Part of my purchase agreement is for them to mount my VCP. I'm 100 miles away and just hope they do it right!

If Honda would have put the aux jacks in the front middle console it would have solved a lot of problems for me. I had already determined that the VCP could sit on the floor in front up against the console and not be in the way. This thanks to all the interior room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
New Idea on the VCP location. I just talked to my saleslady today and she and the install guy had a chance to look around a RES. The install guy thinks he can mount the VCP under the DVD player in the center console. He would run the wires under the dash to the trim and back to the aux input jacks. I told them I want to be able to put it back together without the VCP when my kids grow out of their VHS tapes and they assure me that I will be able to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just read a post under Just Received Our 2002 GG EXL RES first Observations. It says CDVs work great using CD-RWs and Nero Burning Rom burning software!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by bt (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried over the weekend on my new 02 EXL-RES. VCD works on the DVD drive, but the VCD that I created on CD-R or CD-RW disk, does not work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
FLozito: What board do you have in your PC? Did you run tape to hard drive then burn to CR-R or CR-RW? I can get Nero software. This sounds great! How many Disk to copy a average 100 min movie to VCD?

I have no doubt the DVD-R drives they talk about will work because you are creating a DVD not a VCD. To expensive for me as DVD blanks are like $10 ea.

I have been buying up Disney DVD's on E-Bay but would perfer to convert the video's I already have. The VCD & DVD format are great to reduce storage and easy loading of movies without reaching under the seat for VCP. Thanks !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
POR5CHE,

i don't think the board has anything to do with it, as I can do it with my Sony Vaio and Asus motherboard.

I actually used mpegs from my digital camcorder. The downside is the time. It takes about 1-7 hours for 60 minutes depending on the original format of the mpeg.

A CD-RW will only hold 74 minurs, therfore you will need 2 disks for a full length movie.

Here is a great link on how to make VCD's.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/nero.htm

·
Registered
68 Posts
One key on creating VCD's is that many DVD players can read CD-RW media, but not CD-R. I made plenty of semi-coasters. That is, the VCD was readable on any computer, but my DVD player wouldn't read them.

The same seems to be true with the RES. My CD-R's don't play at all, but the CD-RW media I'm using seems to work fine!

Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I still don't have my RES but I would like to narrow it down to what type of VCDs will work and what wont work in the DVD player. Here is what I under stand so far.
1. Nero Burning Rom software.
2. CD-RWs. I am guessing some brands work and some don't.
Brands that work:
1. Memorex. Please post other brands that have worked for you.

POR5CHE. I'm transferring VHS to a computer file then burning it to VCDs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bt:
Brands that work:
1. Memorex. Please post other brands that have worked for you.
</font>
The HP branded 2X CD-RW media works. I will try some faster rated and different brand media tonight.

Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm having trouble playing Video CDs. Memorex doesn't work. I can't find the HP brand. I've tried every brand I can get my hands on and the only one that even comes close to working is Imation CDRWs. These only work every 5th or 10th time that I insert them.
Any suggestions? I'm burning with Nero 5.5.4.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts