Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to ask the question because my wife and I normally will not drive automatic transmission cars, but we are looking to get an Odyssey. Has anyone done a swap to a manual transmission with a 2nd gen Odyssey? Maybe the 6-spd from the Accord/TL?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Welcome.
However, you normally wouldn't drive a minivan either. Forget the manual idea. Only if you were going to add a rollcage and seriously look to do some racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,993 Posts
You're not driving a car. You're driving a minivan.

It's a tool--and it's designed to solve a problem. Hauling kids and stuff around isn't the same as driving your S2000 or even 5 speed Accord around (or BMW, for that matter).

I normally don't use wrenches, either, but I don't hesitate to use one in the way it's intended in order to solve a problem. And if I have a wrench in my hand but suddenly realize I need a hammer, I don't start pounding with the wrench--I grab the tool that's appropriate for the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
Face it your a grown up now. Actually we all discussed this in a different thread. The Ody is a luxury car not a sports car. I think the experence would be more like driving a delivery van. For economy , we have 5 speed autos now.

Believe me if it was possible or desirable one of the moders on this board would have done it by now:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
egads said:
Face it your a grown up now. Actually we all discussed this in a different thread. The Ody is a luxury car not a sports car. I think the experence would be more like driving a delivery van. For economy , we have 5 speed autos now.

Believe me if it was possible or desirable one of the moders on this board would have done it by now:D
I guess it shows who drives a manual because they LIKE to, and who drives one because they think it is "sporty". Some people just prefer manual transmissions because they like them. I have have always driven them and do not care to swtich. It is not a matter of a luxury vehicle vs a sporty one, it is just a matter of what I like to drive! Point and case, VW still offers all the Multivan's (Eurovan) in Europe with a manual trans. Maybe I should just import one of those....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
egads said:
But the cars you currenty drive are not those of someone who "just likes to drive at stick"
Really? When we got the Saab it was only one in a 7 state region that was a manual. I agree, I thought it would be common, but people have gotten lazy. The Accord was easy to find, but there are not that many manual's running around. Oh well, I guess I will be the pioneer if I am able to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
You are swimming against the tide. Manufacturers have to do extensive engineering and EPA testing to bring a vehicle to market. It's easier when that vehicle is sold in many versions in many parts of the world. The American Ody is too big to be sold most places. It was designed for us fat americans and all our junk.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
It was designed for us fat americans and all our junk.
-------------

And it does a wonderful job hauling my r/c airplanes, kayaks and bicycles....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
LOL...this is like the guys who come in looking for an automatic S2000! NOT! :)

I know that Level10 was thinking of doing a shiftronic type setup for the ody...not sure if they every looking into it however...

as for a swap....the ODY shares the Pilot and MDX platform...if a manual isn't on those, it won't be transferrable to the ody. if one of those platforms had one, you could do it...kinda like the civic to intergra/RSX and vise versa swaps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
arnereil said:
And it does a wonderful job hauling my r/c airplanes, kayaks and bicycles....
Glad to know I'm not the only one who bought the Odyssey for that reason! :) Only with me, it's RC helicopters although I do have an airplane too!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

PS: I wouldn't mind seeing the Odyssey with a manual transmission! I don't care if "most" folks wouldn't buy it that way, I just appreciate having the option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,725 Posts
Manual tranny minivan

Before I settled on the Ody for its sporty handling, I seriously considered a Chevy Astro with a manual tranny. It was unusual and would have to be ordered, but I was willing to wait the 6 weeks. That was just the salesman's first salvo to get me off the idea! Next, he said it would drop the van's resale value by $3,000 compared to the same with auto. Welll...I'm starting to listen. Then he says he wouldn't even want it on a trade because it would be practically unsellable. Like I said, I finally went for the Ody (and have never regretted it) but a manual shift in a minivan makes for a white elephant.

Just my experience with mating a manual and a minivan, for what it's worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Re: Manual tranny minivan

davedrivesody said:
Before I settled on the Ody for its sporty handling, I seriously considered a Chevy Astro with a manual tranny. It was unusual and would have to be ordered, but I was willing to wait the 6 weeks. That was just the salesman's first salvo to get me off the idea! Next, he said it would drop the van's resale value by $3,000 compared to the same with auto. Welll...I'm starting to listen. Then he says he wouldn't even want it on a trade because it would be practically unsellable. Like I said, I finally went for the Ody (and have never regretted it) but a manual shift in a minivan makes for a white elephant.

Just my experience with mating a manual and a minivan, for what it's worth.
That salesman was probably right on all counts. People that can even drive, much less prefer, a manual transmission are a definite minority in the US.

I didn't know that Chevy ever offered a manual tranny in the Astro? The only minivan I remember seeing with a manual was an early model Ford Aerostar. It was also a bare bones model. If you put just about "any" option on the car, you had to add the automatic. Could you have optioned out the Astro and still kept the manual transmission?

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,725 Posts
Hi Steve,

Yes, the manual could be had with either the basic cargo model or the passenger model. I was looking at the mid-trim model (I think that was the SL) so the manual was available at least that high, if not on the top-of-line LT. The manual option wasn't mentioned in any sales brochure, but it was on the detailed option list that the dealer uses and it had no must-delete hooks. That's one thing I like about the domestic brands - you can custom-build your new car right at the factory.

- Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
davedrivesody said:
Hi Steve,

Yes, the manual could be had with either the basic cargo model or the passenger model. I was looking at the mid-trim model (I think that was the SL) so the manual was available at least that high, if not on the top-of-line LT. The manual option wasn't mentioned in any sales brochure, but it was on the detailed option list that the dealer uses and it had no must-delete hooks. That's one thing I like about the domestic brands - you can custom-build your new car right at the factory.

- Dave
Thanks for the info, Dave. I agree, it's nice to be able to option out your new car "just" like you want it instead of having to simply take what the manufacturer gives you.

OTOH, speaking as one who used to work in a Lincoln dealers parts department, I can tell you that "finding" certain oddball parts that were put on 200 cars out of 20,000 car production run can be a total PITA! ;)

I don't always like the way Honda (and other manufacturers) divey (sp?) up the features on their various trim levels but I can certainly understand "why" they do it! :D

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Manual tranny minivan

Intrepid175 said:
I didn't know that Chevy ever offered a manual tranny in the Astro? The only minivan I remember seeing with a manual was an early model Ford Aerostar.
A manual tranny could also be had in the first few model years of the Toyota Previa, and I believe it was also only on their base model.

Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
For a manual van, you could also look at an older model (up to 1989) VW Vanagon (e.g. see www.gowesty.com) or it looks
like the 1993 Eurovan had a manual:
http://www.poptopheaven.com/about_eurovan.asp

I read somewhere the Eurovan is still made in Mexico in 2004 but not sure-can't find anything about this on the web now.

If you want a manual V6 SUV,
the 2005 Porsche Cayenne comes in manual version for a base retail price of $41,100 with no options.

I too like manuals, just more fun to drive. And because others don't like them as much sometimes you can get a deal buying used cars that a re manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
umfan866 said:
If you want a manual V6 SUV,
the 2005 Porsche Cayenne comes in manual version for a base retail price of $41,100 with no options.

I too like manuals, just more fun to drive. And because others don't like them as much sometimes you can get a deal buying used cars that a re manual.
Along those same lines it is a shame the Caddy SRX does not come in a manual. The V6 engine hooks to a 6-spd manual in the CTS so I would have thought they would have carried the option through. Too bad, that would really be fun because that V6 is very entertaining to drive. Though I might be biased since I helped develop it!
 
1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Top