Honda Odyssey Forum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Coronation, I appreciate the input, I might have to do the J35a3 on our next Ody swap. I've got the J32A3/6MT set now. We've collected the shifter box/cables, ECU, pedals, clutch master cylinder, one of the ECU harnesses (working on finding the other cheap - I've ID'ed it from the factory so if i can't get one used, I'll buy new).
What will I need to do as far as drive axles? I have the ones from the J32 and new ones from the Ody. Will I need to modify one/either/both? How about any pix/ideas for the shifter box mounting?
thanks.
Dave
Did you mean J32A2? The J32A3 is a different generation engine where the exhaust manifold is cast into the head, and is drive by wire. It would be much more difficult to swap that in.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What will I need to do as far as drive axles? I have the ones from the J32 and new ones from the Ody. Will I need to modify one/either/both? How about any pix/ideas for the shifter box mounting?
thanks.
Dave
I would start by seeing if the Ody splines will fit the 6mt. If they do, I would put the two shafts in the trans on the bench and measure the length, end to end, of the entire assembly and compare it to the measurement with the original A/T. You'll also need to know the distance between the input and the output, front to back, of both transmissions. I've never done this but I'm watching this thread. I've got an '04 on its 2nd potentially bum trans that I'm wanting to do the swap on too. Please, PLEASE, keep us updated on everything. Even if you run into bumps. There are smart folks here that may be able to help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys. I will check the length of the existing shafts and compare. We are scheduling the removal of the Ody engine/trans the week before Thanksgiving and, after doing needed engine compartment and dash work, are planning to drop the new motor/trans in thanksgiving weekend. I'm going to have to sort out the plug A ECU connection (ECU-to-dash), but I've got the ECU sub assembly wiring to the engine bay all set.
This week, we are getting the timing belt, new clutch and crankshaft deals changed on the swap, in addition to firming up our project plan and misc parts.
I'll attach an image that shows the two Plug A connectors side by side (Ody on the right). Some of the wires are marked the same, some are not and some will not be used. If someone can interpret the ones that are not similar or would cross-reference them I'd be debtor to you. Text Font Paper Document

·
Registered
9 Posts
For those of you asking about the 99-04 Ody manual conversion, I've done hours and hours of research and came up with this:

If you have an 02-04 specifically, you can use AEM Series 2 standalone management to get around any ecu cross wiring issues.

Use any 03-07 Accord, 04-08 TL, 03 CL Type S 6sp transmissions and need the starter, flywheel, flywheel bolts, a clutch/pressure plate kit and slave cylinder.

Use any of the stated above shifter box and cables and mount to the floor and either use a 4" shifter extension or build a 4" box on the floor to mount the shifter box then cut a hole where the 12v outlet is and a hole in the floor to run the cables through

You have to fabricate a trans mount from trans to frame rail

Clutch pedal has 2 options... Since the strut tower is too close to the brake booster, you can't mount a clutch pedal to the firewall as civics and such are mounted. There is TONS of room under the dash to make brackets to mount a clutch pedal. You can use a stock 92-00 civic/94-01 integra pedal and s2000 clutch master and custom mount it under the dash but the pedal arm curves to the right so it will have to be formed to the left at the exact revers angle it curves and run the reservoir hose through the firewall to the remote mounted reservoir.. The other option is a Wilwood reverse mount pedal with Wilwood remote mount reservoir, but custome mounting bracket will still have to be fabbed.

You can use your stock half shaft and both axels.

I will be doing the 6mt swap in my red 03 in the spring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thank you for the info, RL1. I will keep that for the next project. For now, here's an update on our project:
* old Motor and bad trans pulled.
* ECU & harnesses procured, along with clutch pedal (RSX) and master cylinder ('12 Civic Si)
* replacement J32A3/6MT being prepped to put in. Timing belt, new clutch, etc.
* We mounted the clutch master cylinder in the engine compartment and ran/extended the rod through the shock tower/fender well.

see attached pix Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Auto part Fuel line Carburetor

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which ECU and harness are you using? What happens if i bought a CL-S complete donor car, i'd still have to use AEM for managing the stuff with my ody ECU?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm using an '05 TL Motor, trans, ECU and all harnesses (except for the dash harness, which will need some additional testing.).
The J32A3 is in, with two of the motor mounts needing no modification, one other needing very slight mod, and the other (the front), will need to be moved an inch or so. The original Ody drive axles popped right in and fit perfectly. The clutch works fine. We ran the shifter cables through the trim just to the left of the lower cig lighter plug, and haven't bolted in the shifter box yet. Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part Auto part Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
We hoped for a miracle and turned the key, but it won't crank. It acts like it's in "Drive" - electric doors beep and don't operate normally, just like they do when the car is in Drive (with the AT). So we've got some wiring to T-shoot. Will be checking starter circuit wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you mean J32A2? The J32A3 is a different generation engine where the exhaust manifold is cast into the head, and is drive by wire. It would be much more difficult to swap that in.
Yes, that's the engine we are swapping. We got the drive-by-wire (APPS) sensor/controller. The stock throttle cable connected right into it. We obtained the needed ECU harness sub-assembly. Purchased a header/manifold and will finish exhaust system after we get the van running. Working out some electrical bugs is next step, as we got the motor, trans, clutch all installed over the past week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Which ECU and harness are you using? What happens if i bought a CL-S complete donor car, i'd still have to use AEM for managing the stuff with my ody ECU?
We are using the ECU and harness from an 05 TL. I cannot say if you'd need AEM management, nor can I say yet how much functionality we are losing by doing this swap. I do know we will not have cruise control, and I'm not sure yet about speedometer, tach, etc. We are working on the dash harness plug connection from the Ody dash harness to the TL ECU...but we've talked about buying an entire car next time we do this swap, since scratching up and scavenging parts and harnesses has been a lot of work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, haha I'm pretty surprised to see this. I have been posting on Acurazine for years (I have an '02 TL Type S) and the 6 speed conversion process has been pretty well nailed down using a CL donor, makes things easier on the TL because even the dash can be swapped over.

We just picked up an '06 Odyssey touring last year for my wife so here I am on this forum. I didn't expect Oddy owners to be tackling a conversion to manual. Good luck, hope to see some pics when someone gets this done.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Any updates? I'm going to look at a slightly wrecked '03 CL tonight.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry to keep bumping this to the top. Daddy13, have you tried starting the van with the original ECU? The Acura ECU has pins related to transmission but I don't see anything related to the transmission on the Ody ECU. You will lose the clutch pedal position and reverse lock solenoid, but I would think you could figure out a way to rig it anyway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just picked up a complete donor CL. Our van is still going strong on trans number two. I'm gonna look for a nice van with a bad transmission.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been doing more research. Daddy13, I'm afraid that you might have better luck with the Odyssey ECU and 3.5L engine. The ody ECU is simply that, an Engine Control Unit. The PCM, Powertrain Control Module, is what controls the trans. On the original trans, there is a switch called the Transmission Range Selector Switch. Basically, it communicates with the PCM to tell when the trans is in Park or Reverse or Drive. You may be able to fool the PCM into acting like the car is in park by shorting pins 1, 3, and 10 or just grounding pins 1 and 10. This should light the P on the instrument cluster (pin 10) and activate the neutral safety switch (pin 1). One problem here is that the passengers in the back will be able to open the sliding doors while the van is driving. I have three children. I really don't want them accidentally opening the door while we're moving but we could always just deactivate the power doors with the switch on the dash.

See attached

Text Design Paper Font Drawing Text Plan Diagram Technical drawing Drawing .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tie the clutch position switch to pin 1 and the reverse switch on the trans to pin 9 to light the reverse lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
eyes are super peeled for this one, because i bought a 99 w/ bad trans knowing i was manual swapping. I did this to my 92 Accord ex station wagon when i scrap through my trans

101 - 120 of 147 Posts