Honda Odyssey Forum banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have not gone back to try anything since last post, guys. The weather is not nice here in MI and I was going to wait til it got a little warmer. I appreciate the recent input from everyone - and will be reviewing all of your comments carefully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to do this swap as well so here goes my ?s:
Is the manual transmission a direct bolt in to the body or would mods have to be made in order to bolt the 6 speed up?
I am willing to just get a whole donor car to complete the swap. SO I can have the complete ECU with wiring unless I can use oem stuff from the ody?
I have a 2001 by the way with 184,xxx and I pretty much do not trust any Honda V6 automatic transmission but I do love the space that the ody offers. 6 speed + ody space is a plus for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been doing more research. Daddy13, I'm afraid that you might have better luck with the Odyssey ECU and 3.5L engine. The ody ECU is simply that, an Engine Control Unit. The PCM, Powertrain Control Module, is what controls the trans. On the original trans, there is a switch called the Transmission Range Selector Switch. Basically, it communicates with the PCM to tell when the trans is in Park or Reverse or Drive. You may be able to fool the PCM into acting like the car is in park by shorting pins 1, 3, and 10 or just grounding pins 1 and 10. This should light the P on the instrument cluster (pin 10) and activate the neutral safety switch (pin 1). One problem here is that the passengers in the back will be able to open the sliding doors while the van is driving. I have three children. I really don't want them accidentally opening the door while we're moving but we could always just deactivate the power doors with the switch on the dash.

See attached

View attachment 76953 View attachment 76961 .
checking back in, guys. The weather has broken here and I'll start with the transmission wiring changes recommended here.
Beyond that, it's just getting the TL ECU to communicate with my dash harness, including the immobilizer. The immobilizer issue will require me to get the TL J32 ECU to sync with the ignition switch from the Ody, and my local Honda dealer thinks* they can do that for me. If they can't do that, then i hate to say it but I'll be putting the stock J35 back in with all the orignal harnesses and ECU. That won't be the end of the world, but i really want to get it running this summer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would like to do this swap as well so here goes my ?s:
Is the manual transmission a direct bolt in to the body or would mods have to be made in order to bolt the 6 speed up?
I am willing to just get a whole donor car to complete the swap. SO I can have the complete ECU with wiring unless I can use oem stuff from the ody?
I have a 2001 by the way with 184,xxx and I pretty much do not trust any Honda V6 automatic transmission but I do love the space that the ody offers. 6 speed + ody space is a plus for me.
The manual transmission requires the addition of a driver's side frame mount. Otherwise, it's straight bolt up. Drive axles pop right in. Getting the ECU from a donor car (which is where I'm stuck right now) seems to be a hurdle not many of us have navigated before. But we've gotten the clutch working and apart from the ECU questions, we are close to road ready.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The manual transmission requires the addition of a driver's side frame mount. Otherwise, it's straight bolt up. Drive axles pop right in. Getting the ECU from a donor car (which is where I'm stuck right now) seems to be a hurdle not many of us have navigated before. But we've gotten the clutch working and apart from the ECU questions, we are close to road ready.
Thanks so much for the reply and thanks for keeping us all updated. Well as I stated before I am willing to get a whole donor car to make it as easier as I can for parts and harnesses almost making it plug n play but like I also stated the transmission mounting is my bigger issue and Pedal. When you say frame rail do you mean custom or a OEM part that can be had from the donor also do you by any chance have a picture of how your pedal setup looks? thanks again man.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can find a transmission mount from your 6MT donor car, that would work, otherwise, you'd have to make something up.

We did ground pin 1 on the trans selector ckt and got the power doors to open and close properly, so it thinks we are in Park. It wouldn't crank, but we didn't fuss with it any more. Happy we got past that one. Will keep at it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can you just duct tape a key to the ecu to fool the immobilizer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey, guys - it's been a while, but I have news to report. Because of the security/immobilizer issues, we pulled the J32 out of the Ody and put in the original motor. We had made a mess for ourselves by cutting some wiring, but got most of it spliced back together and got er running yesterday. So, to make it simple, the quickest and simplest path to swapping in a 6MT is use the original motor. We had to do a few mods (electrical and mechanical, but overall it wasn't too bad. We've got a lot of little stuff to put back together, but for the first time in months, there's light at the end of this tunnel. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Daddy13,
Sounds like and exciting update! If I had the space, time and tools to do this it would be a fun project and probably even more fun to drive when it's all done. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
243 Posts
hey, guys - it's been a while, but I have news to report. Because of the security/immobilizer issues, we pulled the J32 out of the Ody and put in the original motor. We had made a mess for ourselves by cutting some wiring, but got most of it spliced back together and got er running yesterday. So, to make it simple, the quickest and simplest path to swapping in a 6MT is use the original motor. We had to do a few mods (electrical and mechanical, but overall it wasn't too bad. We've got a lot of little stuff to put back together, but for the first time in months, there's light at the end of this tunnel. Thanks for the tips, everyone.
This is fantastic news. Do the instruments all work? What about CEL? Did you get any codes thrown? What did you do for wiring to the trans?

·
Registered
19 Posts
haven't heard anything in a long while...i have heard johnboy1313 was in the process of this manaual conversion. lets start from the top, i am on my 5th 2nd gen and love them! my first one had just a simple exhaust and intake and it screamed! took out plenty of mild 5speed civics,tCs, 300s...my 2nd van was bagged and was all sorts of problems, and not that fun,3rd and fourth van was mediocre and now 5th one is the 04 and have wanted to manual swap for years. honda team was of no help as they were keeping it a secret lol. i will be searching the forum for other updated threads in the next coming months, i have been researching and have recently got serious on this subject as time,money, and a facility has opened up. this thread thus far has been of great help and would love to hear some updates

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man, I'd love to have a 6-speed in our 2013 Odyssey.... Should ahve kept my Accord 6-6..you know for parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This thread has come in and out SOOO much over the last few years. I literally have registered for the site to ask it again.

I have a free 2001 oddy with bad auto trans.

I can buy a manual 2007 accord coupe for 1000. still runs and shifts great. has serious body damage

I am begging someone to tell me their is a better guide somewhere. PLEASE.

I am thinking to use a wilwood clutch pedal but hopefully someone knows which is the best fit? (Floor mount?)

Anyone, please. begging for some direction. I am mechanically sound and have to tools.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This thread has come in and out SOOO much over the last few years. I literally have registered for the site to ask it again.

I have a free 2001 oddy with bad auto trans.

I can buy a manual 2007 accord coupe for 1000. still runs and shifts great. has serious body damage

I am begging someone to tell me their is a better guide somewhere. PLEASE.

I am thinking to use a wilwood clutch pedal but hopefully someone knows which is the best fit? (Floor mount?)

Anyone, please. begging for some direction. I am mechanically sound and have to tools.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-19...7-project-thread-2000-ody-3-2s-six-speed.html

https://acurazine.com/forums/second...-2003-50/2003-cl-6-speed-2004-odyssey-941061/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Johnboy! These guilds are even a little crazier than mine. I want to keep the stock motor and bolt on the manual trans and all linkages. As I read through, the hardest part seems to be the electronics and the clutch pedal...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know the 06-07 AV6 automatic has the same bolt pattern as the J35 in a 2001 Odyssey. I would assume that era 6MT does too.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts