Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I was all ready and set, now I'm second guessing my decision to go with the Panasonic CY-VMX6800 in my Ody. I ranted off yesterday in the Buy/Sell thread on this topic, but now Marv, you're making me second guess.... I may turn around and eat my words! Argh!!!! I hate doing things half-*ss so I'm getting neurotic here. I hate to say it, but my gut need to "have the best" keeps overriding my mind's practical nature. I need help. (is everyone laughing at me now?)

I've been looking for the Alpine 7" (ouch, $1500 retail!!!), not available yet here. Rethinking Audiovox 702, but really dislike the idea of RF headphones vs. IR and not hot on the Audiovox brand (OK, I am biased).

Anyone hear of Savv? They evidently have a 7" drop down, but not shown on their website. I am hearing it is pretty high quality.

Seen numerous other off brands, such as Poweracoustic, Necvox, etc.... none seem that great on a quality perspective.

So, asking for help, please. Want to buy a 7" (or greater) sized 16:9 flip down screen to go with my Pana in dash DVD-Receiver and upgraded sound system. Would really like IR headphones integrated into the unit, with multiple source switching, preferably. I can't find anything else out there that I'd really consider seriously.

Anyone out there with lots of video knowledge/experience have any suggessions? Or at least sympathy?

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shindog (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
First of all let me congratulate you guys for this great site.This is very informative.I've been lurking for quite sometimes,but finally decided to join to become a proud member.
I installed two 7" Farenheit (T-7001MHR)lcd monitor on the driver and front passenger headrest.With a T.V. tuner and a PS2. These monitors have two video input and one video output.So far, I'm satisfied with the video quality of the monitor.I can use one remote for both monitor.The resolution is 1,440(H)x234(V) pixels and view angle of L/R 65deg, 45deg up, 65deg down.My 5yr. old kid loves it.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jobog:
First of all let me congratulate you guys for this great site.This is very informative.I've been lurking for quite sometimes,but finally decided to join to become a proud member.
</font>
Welcome to the club! Glad to have you here, and great to have you chime in!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I installed two 7" Farenheit (T-7001MHR)lcd monitor on the driver and front passenger headrest.
</font>
I thought about the headrest option, but the backs of the headrests are quite curved and it's difficult to get a monitor really flush unless you totally redo the headrests.
What was your experience? Did you swap the headrests out? (others have talked about using Accord headrests, which curve less in the back) Did ya do a custom headrest? Or some other type of mount?

Personally I prefer a flip down due to safety concerns. I want my screen bolted to metal, like in the over head cross beam. Headrest mounts could be a little ify, depending on how done... But this is just my preference.

Got a picture of your install we could see?

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shindog,how can I post pictures here.Tried several times but won't go thru.Any help will be gladly appreciated

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Jobog,
Nice and clean install !
One question: How does your aftermarket remote for the PS2 work ? I've heard that they don't really perform well. That's why I opted for the Sony PS2 remote. All the functions of a home dvd.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
jobog,

Nice photo album!

Regards,

Maugham

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 12-21-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
A few comments (to jobog)

1. You didn't happen to be driving across TN in mid November when a SS Ody came by w/ GT3 playing on a flipdown LCD did you? We both kept the same mph for a few minutes while we inspected each others video setups (it was nighttime obviously) and gave each other the 'thumbs up'.

2. I hope the video 'content' was for 'demo purposes only' in your pic album as I read your commment about how enthralled your 5 yeard old is with this...

3. So those are factory OEM Ody front-seat headrests, eh? I'll be darned. I didn't think you could fit 7" monitors into them that well.

4. Did you read my post (at the end of the URL below) where I rattled on about a few tips for making your PS2 wiring more discreet?

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000034.html

5. Waaaaaah!!! I want this setup.
Seriously, good job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hachiroku, I'm using the Mad Catz 900Mhz wireless controller.You're right about it.It's not sensitive controller.have to point it to the reciever in order forit to work.But it does the job as a remote when playing the DVD.And also I can get rid of the dangling wires of the stock controller when in the van, no mess.
Nyvram,
I'm sorry I haven't been to TN,How I wish. I used the OEM headrest of the ODy .Actually this was not my real plan for the monitor. This model the 7001mhr is only a console,it doesn't have back cover which I thought ideal for the headrest since it's slimmer than the other model.But when I finished cutting out the foam, I found out that the headrest was too soft to hold the monitor,so I decided to put the plastic shroud that comes with the monitor.the cut out cover was then tucked inand secured by heavy duty staples.Then the monitor was mounted into the shroud.To power the ps2 I used the Portawatts 300 inverter,it has a 2 power outlet and also it has cooling fan same as yours. I put it at the left lower side of the front passenger chair with a velcro so that I can remove it anytime.also for the ps2,i put a velcro at the back of horizontal stand and stick it to the carpet under the tray.This make it easier to remove if I want to play at home

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jobog,
Nice! Didn't think a 7" would fit in the stock headrest... Thanks for posting pics!

Now, here's another something I found out about... speaking of 7" monitors in headrests....

A company called SAVV (Stanford Audio Video Vantage) is now selling Prefabricated OEM headrests. They sell them for certain model cars/trucks/vans. 2nd Gen Ody is included in the list:

GM SUVs, Cadillac Escalade
Lexus RX300, LX470
Toyota Highlander, Sienna, Camry
Acura MDX
Land Rover Discovery
Honda Odyssey, Accord
Lincoln Navigator, Ford Excursion

Headrests retail for around $700, all are wrapped in leather, different colors available. SAVV's website is sparse, but I hear from some local high end Mobile A/V shops that their products are quality...

www.savv.com

This is a DIYer's dream! Clean, fast monitor installation! Wires go down the headrest post, so everything is hidden!

I have paper literature on them, that's where this info is coming from...

Caio!

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Shindog,
I saw a Savv headrest (not Odyssey version) today at the local CarToys shop. It had an excellent fit and finish and looked factory. The dealer said they can order a headrest/monitor for $659 each and that they are high quality units and they have had great success with them.

I picked up a brochure on Savv as well today and noticed that the headrests come with "security" covers made in the same color of leather to slip over the headrests when not in use to hide the lcd screens. My only hope is that these things are available before vacation time.

I priced out my different options and think I'll go the self-install headrest route. By installing myself (easy now that the headliner is not involved) and saving the $320 install labor charge I figure the total self-install headrest option would only be $50 to $100 more than a comparable shop installed system utilizing a flip down monitor.

Also, with the headrest option we are upgrade ready for mulitple/simultaneous video sources.

Here is an update from Savv.
Robert,
...we are in the process of production of these [Honda Odyssey headrest] models, ETA summer 2002. Car Toys in Tulsa, OK is our authorized retailer in the area. Their phone number is 918.254.5093. Thank you for your interests in our innovative mobile video line of products. If you have anymore quesitons, feel free to write an e-mail.

Tom Lee
Director of Sales/Marketing
savv corporation
[email protected]
www.savv.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jobog,
I'm very interested in the headrest mounting of screens.
I can't get the link to work for your pictures?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jobog, I am having the same problem as tskeeno. I am using IE 5.50. I'd really like to look at your install.

Thanks
Serv

1 - 13 of 13 Posts