Honda Odyssey Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
DerbyDad03, The boat was actually sopping wet from getting caught out in the rain. I'd say there not a lot that I could move. Maybe a hundred pounds in the back of the Ody. My kids are little. I understand what you mean though. Pretty sure a WDH would solve my problem. I'm wondering if an air lift would.

I need to load up and get to a truckstop scale. find out my axle loads.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Brain,

I have both Airlifts and Moog progressive rate springs and while together they both do a fine job allowing me to fully load the van with people, luggage and a boat (4700lbs boat and trailer) and almost have an unloaded stock ride height in the back, they will not give you the distribution of weight on to the front tires. With that being said, I have pulled the boat up some ramps that were steep and in deplorable condition and despite some tire slip have always managed to get up the ramp and in several cases easier than some 2wd pickups as their rear tires were in the water and they had a heck of time getting started. I have Michelin Primacy LTX tires on my van so maybe they help with traction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Brain,

I have both Airlifts and Moog progressive rate springs and while together they both do a fine job allowing me to fully load the van with people, luggage and a boat (4700lbs boat and trailer) and almost have an unloaded stock ride height in the back, they will not give you the distribution of weight on to the front tires. With that being said, I have pulled the boat up some ramps that were steep and in deplorable condition and despite some tire slip have always managed to get up the ramp and in several cases easier than some 2wd pickups as their rear tires were in the water and they had a heck of time getting started. I have Michelin Primacy LTX tires on my van so maybe they help with traction.
That's good to know. I need to try a few more ramps and conditions, but I think I'm going to do the Air lifts. Any idea what the cost is to have a shop install the airlifts? I saw that the air lift kit is only around $80-90 online.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here is a pic of my van loaded for a trip to Norris Lake for a week. This pic was taken before I installed the Moog springs but did have Airlifts.
The other pic is for reference of the stock unloaded ride height. All of the luggage and two large coolers are in the back of the van. On future trips I have put all of the luggage and coolers in the boat on the back seat. As you can see with the airlifts, the back drops less than one inch fully loaded with the boat. An Ody without airlift sags more than that just carrying a full load of passengers.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Feel free to send me an email with a phone number and I'll be happy to call you. I'm off work today and have time to talk vans.

·
Registered
341 Posts
4 yr follow up. Writing back as a follow up to report the van is at 112000 miles and every thing is fine. Several long trips per year to the lake house with family and countless shorter trips to the Ohio River and the lake by my house over the summer. The Moog progressive coil springs combined with the air lifts continue to perform superbly. No issues with transmission over about the 80,000 miles I've been using the van for heavy towing.. Change fluid around every 30000 miles. The pictures I attached of the van ready to go on another trip to the lake. Even though it is fully loaded and all vehicles are filled with gas it sits at the stock ride height. Late fall of last year I installed a new set of Goodyear weather ready tires. While they are a little bit noisier than the michelins I have always used in the past the wet and snow traction are superb and have no issues whatsoever getting up boat ramps .

·
Registered
341 Posts
Six year follow up... Van with 144000 + miles on it and going strong. No issues with hauling/towing the boat, kids, neighbors back and forth to the local lake, Ohio river or the big lakes of Kentucky and Tennessee. Had a minor worry about getting the boat out of the water due to a steep ramp on the latest trip to Norris Lake but dropping the front tire pressure to 20 psi took care of it. Filled them back up prior to the drive home. Still doing 30000 mile or so ATF single drain/fill with maxlife ATF. Synthetic oil changes when the van tells me its time. Great tow vehicle. No drama.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
renew, thanks for the follows up.

The 3rd Gen Odysseys seem to be great tow vehicles. Transmission ATF flow restrictions fixed (third clutch pack) for the 2005-2006's, and a stronger unit in the 2007-2010 MY's.

I think the Gen 3's are a more stable towing platform than the Gen 2's with their bigger tire setup. Better springs, tires and AirLifts all make it better than better, too.

Andry Duess on the Airstream forums has been successful with 7,500lbs. on the drawbar (with attention and mods to suspension, weight distribution and sway control, tires, ATF cooling, brake controls, etc.)

You two, among others, are proof that multi-axle trailering is within the realm of reliable and safe towing capability for these Odysseys.

Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

OF

·
Registered
17 Posts
renew82, thanks for keeping up with your updates of this thread - it's very useful! I'm thinking of getting my Gen 3 set up to do some towing, and reading this thread has been helpful. Cheers!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts