Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get four 17 inch tires with portenza tires for $800 canadian, would they fit in my dad's odyssey? those maxima rims are 17 x7.5, offset is 45mm, bolt pattern 5 X 114.3 or 4 1/2. The offset to use is 45mm.

I know the odyssey's offset stock is 55mm, what does that mean? does it mean the rims are going to stick out? or hide inside the hole?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did a search, some people here is syaing the odyssey's offset is 40~45 & some say 55~60, what do I believe?

------------------

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is a photoshopped picture of it if it fits.

this is the small fuzzy version, for large version click on the link below:

[This message has been edited by costcowholesale (edited 01-28-2002).]

·
1,484 Posts
I have 18" wheels that are 7.5" wide and w/ 45mm offset. They do (technically) fit. The outerside of the wheel should rest directly underneath the fender. It doesn't stick OUT nor does it stick IN past the fender.

"I know the odyssey's offset stock is 55mm, what does that mean? does it mean the rims are going to stick out? or hide inside the hole?"

The stock EX rims are 6.5 in width. Combined with a 55mm offset the wheels will get closer IN. Also, you should probably get tires that match up with the diameter of stock tires instead of using the ones that came with the Maxima. Try using the Miata Tire Size Calculator in the LINKS sections.

-Nestor

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 01-29-2002).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks nestor, I forgot to say teh reason I'm going bigger size, 225/50/17 is because my dad's odyssey speedometer is off, its reading like 5% higher than any other cars I've tested with, maxima, montana & IS300. I already used the miata calculator & I ended up with like 3% difference.
Do you think I need spacers or anything like that to make those fit? I forgot to mention the rims are actually 17x7 with 45 offset, not 17x7.5 I misread that part.

I want to go perfomrence tires but since the odyssey's stock 16inch rims are only 6.5 wide, I want to go 225 60 16 but they'll be too wide IMO + it will screw up teh speedometer more. & 215 65 16 size sucks, hard to find performence tires for that size.

·
1,484 Posts
I don't think you need spacers. Try those wheels on first and decide from there if you need spacers or not...but I doubt it. Unless you want to use the spacers to improve the handling.

Also, since you know they are 7" wide (rather than 7.5) then that's better...at least for the rear suspension that is. My wheels in the back come pretty close to touching one of rear suspension parts - but there is still decent amount of room in there for it to clear. So 7" should be better because it'll give you more room. And yeah, it's a bit easier finding more performance-like tires 17" and up.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
596 Posts
Finding performance tires to fit the stock steel wheels is not that tough. There are plenty of 235/60-16s out there in both "H" and "V" speed ratings. I have the Michelin XGT-H4s in that size and when I was in Sears yesterday, I saw a real nice set of Yokohamas, "V" rated, also in that size. Those had a very nice directional tread pattern. I do not remember the exact number, but it was 540 and a couple of letters. I also saw a set of Motegi MR8 wheels which really should be on my van.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
The Maxima wheels should fit just fine IMO. Right bolt pattern and the offset and rim width will work OK. Those wheels look good, just be sure to get the correct size tires. Might be worth getting hub centric rings if they don't come with them to minimize any chance of vibration etc.
I am running 235/55 17s on 7 inch rims and they look great and no problems at all!

------------------
'02 RP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

·
Registered
171 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by costcowholesale:

I want to go perfomrence tires but since the odyssey's stock 16inch rims are only 6.5 wide, I want to go 225 60 16 but they'll be too wide IMO + it will screw up teh speedometer more. & 215 65 16 size sucks, hard to find performence tires for that size.
</font>
The '02 Odysseys now come with 225/60 16 on a 6.5 inch rim. So they won't be too wide. Also, the picture of the Maxima you posted is the previous generation which offered 16 inch on the SE models. The 17 inchers came with the 2000+ years as part of some sport package.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I checked out the BIG PICTURE of the Odyssey with the Maxima rims.

Did you do a rear disc brake conversion on your Odyssey?

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX
2001 Civic EX Sedan
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

[This message has been edited by SoFlaOdyssey (edited 02-01-2002).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that picture there is the maxima I have & I was gonna get the 01 maxima's SE 17 inch rims for the maxima but the deal screwed up, There is still some tires tread left on the odyssey's michelin I'll just keep looking & if I don't find any in a couple months I'll buy some 225/60(or65?)/16 performence tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts