Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done my research and have decided to install MB Quart speakers.

Specifically, the PSC-6.5 Referenz Premium Components in the front and the Referenz Series Coaxial PKC 110 - 4" in the rear. I've narrowed down my search to two internet suppliers:
www.carmedia1.com and www.soundhabit.com.

Both have about the same pricing, one doesn't have a phone number (soundhabit). Although we've corresponded via email, I'm leery about dealing with anyone I can't call.

My question is this, has anyone ever dealt with any of these suppliers and if so what has been your experience with them?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I rolled the dice and placed my order. Speakers should arrive in about a week. Anyone have any experience installing the cross-overs in the Ody (where) and how to correctly set them up?

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hip:
Well, I rolled the dice and placed my order. Speakers should arrive in about a week. Anyone have any experience installing the cross-overs in the Ody (where) and how to correctly set them up?</font>
If you are installing the tweeters on the sail panel, then the cross-overs should be installed behind the door panel, otherwise, install them around the kick panels for easy access and adjustment.

-Harry

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have been looking at changing my speakers to MB Quarts as well.

I just noticed that Crutchfield is showing less than only about 2 inches of mounting depth for both the doors and rears.

The MB Quarts I've looked at require more than this. Is Crutchfield conservative? If so, what is the real limit?

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior, Wings West Kit and lots of other mods.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lorax:
I just noticed that Crutchfield is showing less than only about 2 inches of mounting depth for both the doors and rears.
</font>
You can cut out part of door panel/rain shield to make room for deeper speakers. I don't know maximum mounting depth using this method.

Take a look at VTEClover's write up on his Infinity 652i's in the Tech section.

This is before the cut out:

This is after:

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Well, I rolled the dice and placed my order. Speakers should arrive in about a week. Anyone have any experience installing the cross-overs in the Ody (where) and how to correctly set them up?</font>
Did you get your speakers installed? How do they sound?

My Infinity Kappa speakers came in today from Autotoys.com. My wife called me as soon as they were dropped off. She can't wait to get them in.

To tell the truth, I'm looking forward to putting them in.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
276 Posts
Instead of cutting the rainshield which exposes the speaker to water drips, you can make your own speaker spacer. I created mine using foam board, it's the thick presentation board used for display/presentation sold at office supply store. It's basically a thin styrofoam sandwiched between 2 thick cardboard about 3/16" thick and it's easily cut/trim using sharp utility blade.

-Harry

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by Jim F:
Did you get your speakers installed? How do they sound?

My Infinity Kappa speakers came in today from Autotoys.com. My wife called me as soon as they were dropped off. She can't wait to get them in.

To tell the truth, I'm looking forward to putting them in.

I installed the Infinity Kappas a couple of months ago. They are just o.k. I first tried them with the factory deck & was very disappointed. I put in a Nakamichi CD player with more watts (43 per channel) & they sound better, but not great. I also added some separate Kenwood tweeters to the factory dash location. Now the highs are very crisp, almost overpowering. I was told by a the installer of my CD player that the plastic in the doors makes for a terrible mounting surface. He suggested putting in a heavy gage steel spacer to mount the speakers to. I haven't tried it though.
Actually, the speakers sound great at VERY high volumes, but at normal listening levels, they are hollow with very little bass & so-so mid-range. I may want to try the Pioneer 1695's after I hear the review in the other message thread??
These are just my opinions & maybe you will love them. LET US KNOW
Brichead

·
Registered
30 Posts
hip,
Have you got your speakers installed??
How do they sound?

Has anyone tried the Pioneer 1695(?) yet.
(I'm just trying to find something that works better than the Infinities I installed.)
thanks!
brichead

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hip,

Did you get you MB Quarts yet? I hope that you followed my thread covering my experience with the noise from the A/C blower affecting the crossover.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior, Wings West Kit and lots of other mods.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
In terms of mounting depth, with the rain shield cut away, you can fit a speaker up to about 2.5" deep. This is assuming you do not use a spacer.
A spacer ring can give you even more depth, so long as the speaker doesn't have a tweeter or horn that sticks out too far.
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts