Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya folks,

I'm looking for alternatives to the Honda deflector since it requires adhesive tape to be mounted on the hood surface.

Below is one from the same company that sells the Weathertech products.

Cost is $50 plus $9 shipping.

Here's the mounting info from an email response to my inquiry:

"Thank you for your interest in our custom-fit WeatherTech Stone and Bug deflector for your 2001 Honda Odyssey. The deflector mounts underneath the hood with 3M automotive tape. The price is $49.95, plus $9 shipping and handling."

Any impressions on this? Inputs appreciated.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
It looks very nice on that "other" minivan.

I might look into getting one of those myself.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the MacNeil one. So far, it has done its job with a couple of irritants. I installed it last spring using the double side adhesive tape only (MacNeil packs screws with it as well). It held pretty much all summer, but once I got into the colder winter weather, the adhesive failed. Every time I open the hood, a couple of the mounting tabs pop loose.

MacNeil sent me a roll of the tape and I replaced all the tape in January. Recently opened the hood and a couple of tabs popped off again.

This spring I am going to reinstall it with the mounting screws MacNeil provided. I want to do it in such a way that I can remove it when needed and also put some paint the screw holes to prevent rust.

For the price, its a great unit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rob.

* Got pictures to share? Should be better looking than that other minivan.

* Would you happen to have the instruction sheet for it?

* Does it have specific instructions for using the screws that came with it?

Perhaps you can use the same mounting points for the screws as what's given in the Honda deflector. The Honda uses a pair of screws and grommets into 2 square holes under the hood.

BTW, I inquired about construction and mounting procedure for the unit. Here is what I got back:

-----------------------------
Dear Errol,

"Thank you again for your e-mail inquiry. Yes, the tape they use for the
WeatherTech Stone & Bug deflectors are the same tape they use for the body
side moldings on alot of the vehicles out there today. These Bug deflectors
have all been wind tunnel tested and car wash tested so they do adhere very
well. Unfortunately, these deflectors not indestructible, if someone
were to lean on it with alot of weight it could crack, the material is a
1/4" Aerospace grade acrylic which is very strong but can still crack with
enough weight /force.

Unfortunately, we do not have any instructions on-line for you to view but
you can call our Customer Service Department at 800-313-7601 and they can
easily mail or fax you a copy of the installation instructions."
-------------------------

For the price, $50+$9 shipping vs. $122+ 30lbs shipping rate, plus installation reversibility, this is a definite possibility as Rob attests.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

[This message has been edited by errol (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
errol - they have specific instructions on using the screws. IIRC, they included some grommets to use with the screws. Unfortunately, they don't mount into any exising holes in the hood.

When I get home tonight, I will read the instructions and scan them to post. I will also try to take a digital pic to post (although my van is soooo dirty). Someone will have to help me with posting.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
errol - I've scanned the instructions and created a pdf file so if you have Adobe, I can e-mail it to you.

Or our kind board master here could tell me how to post those instructions here.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 03-27-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
I finally got some pics of this accessory up.

Please follow this link:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/rr803

For the price (about $70 with freight), it has worked out well.

Oh - it's an EX - the hubcaps are due to winter tires.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 04-08-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
Errol - I did use the bumper stops, but I installed them on the underside of the deflector, not on the hood. I just can't bring myself to stick something on the paint. Are they needed - so far I don't think I have had the Ody up to a high enough speed to bend the deflector enough to contact the paint!!

I have not done the screw install yet. I think I may not as I am leery of drilling into the hood.

IMHO the deflector has worked very well. In the summer, the Ody goes up to Maine almost every weekend. We get very few bug splats on the windshield and the hood. And it has thus far prevented scratches and chips from winter sand and salt.

Have you decided on what you are going to do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, we did use the screws because the tape kept popping up on one end. It wasn't a problem getting it in at all. We like the way it looks and it is doing its job. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robr2:
For the price (about $70 with freight), it has worked out well.</font>
Where did you get it? Where's the place that has it for $50?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
331 Posts
Errol - the screws are self tapping.

As for aligning, I marked the underside of the hood at the center line with a Sharpie - it made it easier to line up with the center V in the deflector.

If anyone wants the instructions, please e-mail me - see my profile. I have it in a pdf file so it can be read by Adobe Acrobat.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts