Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my wife's Odyssey in for an oil change and alignment the other day and everything went as expected - got home and oil level was fine. Checked a few other things out and did tire pressures because we had a little in-state trip to make on Saturday the 9th. In the meantime, she drove it a few times during the day. I was looking forward to getting it on the road to see how the small changes they made affected driving. Saturday came and we took off, but shortly ran into a downpour with a dark sky, heavy traffic and that 'fog' that comes up on the highway during a rain. This went on for about 60 miles. We pulled off the interstate at our turn which is also where we usually stop to get a breakfast biscuit and coffee. I don't remember what made me look at the turn signal stalk but that's when I realized that the shop had left the lights on 'OFF', and all the way through that maelstrom I had not been showing a single light except for brake lights.
I blew hot, because they have done that before. I just didn't check it this time and my wife is not a 'car person' so she would not have noticed it unless she had driven at night. The main reason I got mad was I'm always criticizing drivers for being in that situation with no lights showing because the 'fog' makes the car invisible until much closer range, then I go out there and do the same damn thing.
I'm going to make an issue of it with them because this could have gotten us killed. We both always leave our lights on 'AUTO' and we get so used to it that we just don't think to check after the shop has the car. I'm pretty sure I will never forget to check it again after this debacle but I'm going to let them know about it anyway.
BTW, the 4-wheel alignment turned out great and the van was more 'centered' and required much less correction.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It’s the drivers responsibility to control the car. The mechanic may have turned the lights off but that’s your responsibility to turn them on. Why is it the mechanics fault? Your argument makes zero sense.

Yes it would upset me but I’d of been more upset I didn’t recognize the lights were not operating correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
This has happened to me before, and I hate it too. Reality is with Auto headlights I rarely check the switch position. Hard to blame the mechanic as I'm sure they are just making sure they don't run the battery down in the shop when working on the car. Heck, I do the same thing (turn the lights off) when I'm doing work in my own garage. Fortunately with DRLs you aren't driving completely lightless.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I get why you were pissed...

same happened to me with some shop visits, they turn the lights from auto to off because of the preset 15 second delay.
only way for me to tell is the absence of the light on the dash.

the HID's on the touring and the fogs that come on with the headlights, you know pretty quick when they aren't on because visibility is s#it without them.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,726 Posts
It’s the drivers responsibility to control the car. The mechanic may have turned the lights off but that’s your responsibility to turn them on. Why is it the mechanics fault? Your argument makes zero sense.

Yes it would upset me but I’d of been more upset I didn’t recognize the lights were not operating correctly.

This.

You shouldn't be in the habit of expecting the lights to always be ready to go. For situations just like this. It's like a backup camera. Just because you have it doesn't mean you shouldn't look behind you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This read proved to be anti-climatic. Cliff notes: Went to shop to get oil change and alignment, turned out great. For several days, I've been driving without any headlights - I couldn't tell since the DRL's are so great. Found mechanic turned them off, I'm livid. Mechanic could have caused me to have an accident because it didn't occur to me to flip the headlight switch. This has got to be the dumbest post on Odyclub.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,934 Posts
It should be standard procedure at a mechanic to turn the lights to "OFF". They don't want to be responsible for replacing a car battery... You should not assume any setting is the same after the car is returned from a mechanic.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,011 Posts
This read proved to be anti-climatic. Cliff notes: Went to shop to get oil change and alignment, turned out great. For several days, I've been driving without any headlights - I couldn't tell since the DRL's are so great. Found mechanic turned them off, I'm livid. Mechanic could have caused me to have an accident because it didn't occur to me to flip the headlight switch. This has got to be the dumbest post on Odyclub.
LOL on the Cliffs notes reference. My kids tell me those were obsoleted a long time ago. I think I'd still be stuck in high school if not for those little books.

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L Smoky Topaz Metallic
285 Posts
May be a good idea to make a sticker with a label maker that says “check auto position lights after service” and stick it on the dash by the odometer.

Way back when cars were just invented and I started driving, dash boards were only illuminated when the lights were on making it obvious that the headlights weren’t on. The problem with cars made in the past 2 or 3 decades the dash is illuminated whenever the vehicle is on, irrespective of headlight or parking lights status.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’m with the mechanic here. There is an indicator light on the dash to alert you if the lights are on or off. I get it, we are all creatures of habit but that doesn’t make it the other guys fault.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >125k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
820 Posts
You should not assume any setting is the same after the car is returned from a mechanic.

-Charlie
Or after a 15 y.o. new driver takes over the car for a while; my daughter turns the lights on manually - even though they are auto - but does not turn them off. I quickly learned to check for the dinging sound after she returms...

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are mad that the mechanic has left the light switch in the off position?
Wow, now I have heard it all.
By the way, I always turn the switch to off if I am not using the headlights. No auto lights for me. You mad now?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You are mad that the mechanic has left the light switch in the off position?
Wow, now I have heard it all.
By the way, I always turn the switch to off if I am not using the headlights. No auto lights for me. You mad now?
see lots of clueless drivers driving at night with no tail lights driving with DRL thinking everything is roses.
literally see three an evening on my way home from work.
usually toyota or hyundai or honda crv drivers.

you flash the highbeams at them from behind, pull up along side, honk or flash your blinkers at them, they look at you dumbfounded like wtf is your problem??!

Can say at least 50 people I have tried to let them know, and only had one breakthrough on what I was trying to tell them.
A dude in an F150.

1-50 is pretty decent odds I guess!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
see lots of clueless drivers driving at night with no tail lights driving with DRL thinking everything is roses.
..you flash the highbeams at them from behind
Why flash the high beams? (that is rude) Why not turn off/on your headlights instead? :unsure:

Reactions: 0dyfamily
1 - 20 of 92 Posts