Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't remember what made me look at the turn signal stalk but that's when I realized that the shop had left the lights on 'OFF', and all the way through that maelstrom I had not been showing a single light except for brake lights.
<snip>
We both always leave our lights on 'AUTO' and we get so used to it that we just don't think to check after the shop has the car.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 2011-2017 Odyssey have a green indicator light show up on the dashboard to indicate when your headlights are on? My 2014 Odyssey Touring does and I'm pretty sure my old 2014 EX-L did too. Not sure about other year models. Just sometimes easier to see that quickly on the dash. But yes, don't go too hard on your mechanic please. I always go back and check all my settings once I get it back from the mechanic to make sure it's how I want it to be.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I knew I would get a lot of negativity with this but at least a few 'get it'. But, thanks to some of the comments, I went out and checked, and sure enough, at least the DRLs do work even with the switch on 'OFF' with the car in gear, so at least I wasn't completely invisible. And remember, the car was operated only in daylight for the few days before the trip in the rain, and that was also in daylight, which is why the lack of headlights and tail lights was not noticed. And yes, I still think it is a mistake to leave the lights in 'OFF' unless that's the way the car was presented for service. You have to take into account that anyone could be driving the car after the service including those who are unfamiliar with that model or who regularly drive another car, and that any kind of weather/light conditions could occur.
On the headlight indicator - on the '15 EX-L it is located on the extreme RH side of the instrument cluster. It is very possible that depending upon driver seating and steering wheel positions, the wheel will block view of it.
On the light stalk - it also 'hides' behind the wheel and its settings may not be casually noticed, particularly by a driver who does not drive this particular vehicle very often.
Yes, it is true that it is the operator's responsibility to operate the vehicle appropriately, and that's actually why I got mad about it - I would never do what happened on purpose, and I guess I was mostly mad at myself for not checking it. But I'm still going to send them a letter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't get more flak. Shows how mature and helpful these members are. Great forum for sure. You would have been roasted on other car forums to the max. Title is way overkill. it's more likely the mechanic forgot and even if he didn't care and did it intentionally, does not mean he was trying to kill you. it is however a great video title for Scotty Kilmer. I get the frustration, they should return the vehicle how it went in, settings and all.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I taught my kids and told my wife to not use the AUTO feature. It's just good habit to learn the old school way of doing things. I usually find that shops turn off the A/C, even if it's just the fan blowing on low, so it must be some procedural thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
New cars with digital dashes are backlit all the time, so unless you look for the green headlight indicator there is nothing to tell you your lights aren't on. Old school analog guages relied on daylight for illumination and only were backlit at night, which made it way more obvious when you were driving at night with the lights out. Just my 2 cents on why seeing drivers without lights is so common now.

Good thing is as popular as led DRLs are now at least these guys aren't invisible, at least from the front.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
So would you complain if your mechanic adjusted your seat and didn't adjust it back to where it was before? Surely that could injure you if you're too close to the steering wheel and the airbag goes off...

Reactions: ryukin2000

·
Registered
55 Posts
So would you complain if your mechanic adjusted your seat and didn't adjust it back to where it was before? Surely that could injure you if you're too close to the steering wheel and the airbag goes off...
people also shouldn’t complain when one adjusts the seat in the bathroom and doesn’t put it back the way he found it. . I know, playing with fire here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
Why not turn off/on your headlights instead? :unsure:
I do that in a few quick successions. But I don't flash them for fear of being rude but rather, at night, you have no idea how high the looneys are and I don't want to get shot as a part of road rage. :p

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
112 Posts
This was a pathetic vent post and the OP should be embarrassed. Absolutely zero responsibility falls on the mechanic. If you were one of my friends, I would harass you relentlessly for posting this to the point that you would no longer hang with me 😆

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do that in a few quick successions. But I don't flash them for fear of being rude but rather, at night, you have no idea how high the looneys are and I don't want to get shot as a part of road rage. :p
Back in the day, flashing headlights used to be a friendly notification that you are approaching the PoPo. I guess that is gone now with Waze.

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
Back in the day, flashing headlights used to be a friendly notification that you are approaching the PoPo. I guess that is gone now with Waze.
Yup. I remember pre-Waze days. I still get people do help me in lanes across from me and I try and pay it forward and quickly flick people in the opposite lane if I pass a cop car hidden or visible.

Reactions: kitol and skeetie96

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
see lots of clueless drivers driving at night with no tail lights driving with DRL thinking everything is roses.
literally see three an evening on my way home from work.
usually toyota or hyundai or honda crv drivers.
Suzuki Aerio still takes the cake. Not many of them left on the road, but they had fairly bright DRLs and a well lit dash all the time. And clueless drivers (really, who buys a Suzuki car in the US?)... Probably half of them I see at night have no lights on.

All of our cars have auto or auto-off headlights (even my '89 Camry), but I would still assume they are set 'off' if I pick the vehicle up from a mechanic...

As a note, when the lights are set to "AUTO" the headlights turn on when the wipers are in use - but the dash doesn't dim like they are on unless the ambient light also dictates the need. The indicator light on the cluster should still illuminate. The lighting indicator on the cluster is legally required these days...

-Charlie

Reactions: Nrajeff

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Assuming that you are not just trolling us...

I knew I would get a lot of negativity with this but at least a few 'get it'.
Anyone that "gets it" is as wrong as you are.

"Trying to kill us"? Really?

But, thanks to some of the comments, I went out and checked, and sure enough, at least the DRLs do work even with the switch on 'OFF' with the car in gear, so at least I wasn't completely invisible.
You didn't know that? Manuals are available, you know. I'm guessing that if you have one, it's still in pristine condition.

I wonder how much else you don't know about your vehicles.

And remember, the car was operated only in daylight for the few days before the trip in the rain, and that was also in daylight, which is why the lack of headlights and tail lights was not noticed.
What I remember is how irrelevant that comment is.

And yes, I still think it is a mistake to leave the lights in 'OFF' unless that's the way the car was presented for service.
Do you feel the same way about windshield wipers? Blaring radios? Turn signals? I'll bet you'd never even have noticed if they had turned any of those off had you left them on when you presented the car for service.

You have to take into account that anyone could be driving the car after the service including those who are unfamiliar with that model or who regularly drive another car, and that any kind of weather/light conditions could occur.
Have you ever rented a car, especially a model that you never drove before? Ever drive a friend's car? A family member's? How in the world did you survive those situations? Were they all set up exactly as you think they should be for the conditions that existed when you got in the driver's seat?

On the headlight indicator - on the '15 EX-L it is located on the extreme RH side of the instrument cluster.
Actually, it's not. The fuel gauge is more to the right than the headlight indicator.

It is very possible that depending upon driver seating and steering wheel positions, the wheel will block view of it.
Interesting wording there. "It's very possible". Is that the case in your vehicle or did you just miss seeing that it wasn't on and you're using that "possibility" as a lame excuse?

"Oh, Officer Friendly, you can't give me a speeding ticket. It's very possible that my steering wheel was blocking the top of the speedometer and I didn't realize how fast I was going. It's not my fault, blame the Honda design committee. They are trying to kill us."

On the light stalk - it also 'hides' behind the wheel and its settings may not be casually noticed, particularly by a driver who does not drive this particular vehicle very often.
Yes, it is true that it is the operator's responsibility to operate the vehicle appropriately, and that's actually why I got mad about it - I would never do what happened on purpose, and I guess I was mostly mad at myself for not checking it.
Then why wasn't your subject line "I tried to kill my wife and myself"? You admit right here that it was your "responsibility to operate the vehicle appropriately" and that you were "mostly mad at (your)self for not checking it."

Why are you blaming anyone but the person who wasn't operating the vehicle appropriately?

But I'm still going to send them a letter.
Oh, do please post their response back here. I can't wait to see if they politely tell you to go stuff it or if they placate you with some flowery language while not taking one iota of responsibility for your mistake.

Actually, I doubt you'll even write the letter.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Forehead Chin Jaw Cartoon Font

I really liked watching Archer when our respective "schedules" matched.

OF

Edit: There are bad people out there waiting to hurt us Honda owners with Auto Lights.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
2005 Ody EX-L, 3.5 L V6, 112K so far
63 Posts
You're fuming over that? Would you be mad if they turned your radio off too?

I was waiting for the story to get bad!
Exactly. Locating that radio code and re-entering it is an inconvenience! ;)

·
Registered
2005 Ody EX-L, 3.5 L V6, 112K so far
63 Posts
May be a good idea to make a sticker with a label maker that says “check auto position lights after service” and stick it on the dash by the odometer.

Way back when cars were just invented and I started driving, dash boards were only illuminated when the lights were on making it obvious that the headlights weren’t on. The problem with cars made in the past 2 or 3 decades the dash is illuminated whenever the vehicle is on, irrespective of headlight or parking lights status.
Good idea - here is a doc I made for the OP to print and use in the van - perhaps print out on sticker paper even. Stick one of these on the steering wheel and perhaps the rear view mirror - or where ever the drivers will see it upon starting up the van.
Rectangle Sleeve Font Parallel Art

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s the drivers responsibility to control the car. The mechanic may have turned the lights off but that’s your responsibility to turn them on. Why is it the mechanics fault? Your argument makes zero sense.

Yes it would upset me but I’d of been more upset I didn’t recognize the lights were not operating correctly.

totally agree... the other thing to watch.. on a 2013 Odyssey ... i find that the car wash folks often turn off the parking sensors... the switch is right next to the tailgate open switch..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mechanics do this all the time, not an issue. This is the first thing I check when I get a car back. Plus it is pretty obvious if they are not on in the dark.....
I am a tall lady and the short mechanics pull the seat all the way forward and don’t return it for me. However, they are kind, hard working and considerate in other things.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts