Honda Odyssey Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have friends that are currently working at Honda dealer. They both are auto mechanic. I stay with them the whole time inside the shop when they service my Odyssey and Ridgeline. I asked them why they turned off the headlight switch every time and every vehicle. They said because if they did not do that, the battery checker instrument would give them an incorrect reading for the battery.

Just to clarify with you guys that every vehicle that is serviced in the dealer will have to thoroughly go to a full check up from head to rear, top to bottom. They will jack the vehicle up and using flashlight to make sure even the bottom is ok too. Usually they refill the liquids and oil for free. That's how they earn their business.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Took my wife's Odyssey in for an oil change and alignment the other day and everything went as expected - got home and oil level was fine. Checked a few other things out and did tire pressures because we had a little in-state trip to make on Saturday the 9th. In the meantime, she drove it a few times during the day. I was looking forward to getting it on the road to see how the small changes they made affected driving. Saturday came and we took off, but shortly ran into a downpour with a dark sky, heavy traffic and that 'fog' that comes up on the highway during a rain. This went on for about 60 miles. We pulled off the interstate at our turn which is also where we usually stop to get a breakfast biscuit and coffee. I don't remember what made me look at the turn signal stalk but that's when I realized that the shop had left the lights on 'OFF', and all the way through that maelstrom I had not been showing a single light except for brake lights.
I blew hot, because they have done that before. I just didn't check it this time and my wife is not a 'car person' so she would not have noticed it unless she had driven at night. The main reason I got mad was I'm always criticizing drivers for being in that situation with no lights showing because the 'fog' makes the car invisible until much closer range, then I go out there and do the same damn thing.
I'm going to make an issue of it with them because this could have gotten us killed. We both always leave our lights on 'AUTO' and we get so used to it that we just don't think to check after the shop has the car. I'm pretty sure I will never forget to check it again after this debacle but I'm going to let them know about it anyway.
BTW, the 4-wheel alignment turned out great and the van was more 'centered' and required much less correction.
Standard service operating procedure is to turn the light switch to "off". Otherwise the lights are needlessly on while the car is in a service bay with the ignition on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do not underestimate the entitlement and zero responsibility taking of people like OP.
This pretty much sums it up in its entirety. Taking responsibility is an outdated concept anymore. There’s probably a lawyer right now reading this thread and trying to contact the OP 😂

i can’t even relate the number of times I've been taught on various jobs (not to mention in Driver's Ed) that when you take possession of a vehicle, it’s your responsibility to make sure it’s safe for use. Regardless of who used it last or how recent. Every. Singe. Job. Like I said in an earlier post, this person should be embarrassed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Trying to blame the mechanic for user error? There is light on the dash that tells you if the lights are on. Personally, I think auto lights are a dumb feature.
Agreed. I feel the same about tpms and auto dimming rear view mirrors. If you’re so lazy that you can’t look down at your tires before entering the vehicle or you can’t reach up to flip the lever under the mirror, you shouldn’t be allowed to operate the vehicle. But that’s just me.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Trying to blame the mechanic for user error? There is light on the dash that tells you if the lights are on. Personally, I think auto lights are a dumb feature.
Why do you think that?

·
Registered
271 Posts
at least a few 'get it'.
I "get it". I personally know some inattentive drivers too. I can't make excuses for their bad habits though.
I think auto lights are a dumb feature.
When someone parked across from you shuts their car off but leaves the lights on pointed in your face and you have to wait for the lights to shut themselves off, it's annoying.

I do think auto headlights help correct behavior like driving at sunrise or dusk with lights off, driving in inclement weather with no lights, but it shouldn't be a crutch so you can just drive obliviously.
If you’re so lazy that you can’t look down at your tires before entering the vehicle
It freaks my wife out when I do a walk-around before getting in. She assumes I already saw something bad and that's why I'm doing it. I still love TPMS though. It let me know when I ran over a screw a while back.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Agreed. I feel the same about tpms and auto dimming rear view mirrors. If you’re so lazy that you can’t look down at your tires before entering the vehicle or you can’t reach up to flip the lever under the mirror, you shouldn’t be allowed to operate the vehicle. But that’s just me.
I'm not too lazy to pick up a wall tethered phone and press a bunch of buttons to make a call, but I'm also very happy that I can just tell my smartphone to call my wife.
I'm not too lazy that I can't keep my foot on the accelerator for hours at a time, but I'm also very happy that cruise control is available in the Ody. In fact, I wish the 2017 had ACC.
I'm not too lazy that I can't pull out a fire stick and light my grill, but I also very happy that they included an electronic ignitor button.

In my case, "laziness" has nothing to do with enjoying the features that technology allows. I rarely sit still. I'm the exact opposite of a lazy person, to the point of being annoying to family members. I don't do "nothing" very well. That said, I don't see a need to flip the rearview mirror lever if the vehicle can do it for me. I don't see a need to turn on the headlights if the vehicle can do it for me.

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't see a need to flip the rearview mirror lever if the vehicle can do it for me. I don't see a need to turn on the headlights if the vehicle can do it for me.
That’s true, but what you just gave us is the very definition of lazy. Not calling you that, but lazy is exactly what you just defined. Obviously neither would I, but the manufacturers are training us in this direction. We’re all headed to the type of life that was prophetically depicted in Wall-E.

Hence, threads like this from entitled people. #firstworldproblems

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
That’s true, but what you just gave us is the very definition of lazy. Not calling you that, but lazy is exactly what you just defined. Obviously neither would I, but the manufacturers are training us in this direction. We’re all headed to the type of life that was prophetically depicted in Wall-E.

Hence, threads like this from entitled people. #firstworldproblems
don't forget autonomous cars...

technology in many cases including in automobiles, is not making us smarter or more adaptable.

two key things for the survival of the species!

·
Registered
112 Posts
don't forget autonomous cars...

technology in many cases including in automobiles, is not making us smarter or more adaptable.

two key things for the survival of the species!
And this is actually an ongoing argument/discussion in many other areas. My main pastime is woods riding 2 stroke dirt bikes. A couple of years back KTM started putting TPI (fuel injection) into their 2 strokes. They’re not the first, but when they started, it caused a plate tectonic shift in the industry, and created a huge chasm between the pro and con guys. I personally am a carb guy, through and through, so technology for me takes the fun out of a lot of things, street vehicles included. I realize much of it is necessary, but much of it isn’t. Heck, I don’t even like automatic transmissions 😝 In our vans, they’re fine. But in a car? I like feeling like I’m connected to the motor. I don’t look forward to tuning my dirt bike with a computer, but I realize that’s where we’re headed.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
That’s true, but what you just gave us is the very definition of lazy. Not calling you that, but lazy is exactly what you just defined.
Sorry, gotta call BS on that. Here's the "very definition" of lazy, from multiple sources:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lazy
disinclined to activity or exertion : not energetic or vigorous

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/lazy
averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/lazy
not willing to work or use any effort:

I specifically said that I am willing to do all of the things that technology can do for me. I simply choose to allow technology to do it for me when it's available.

I'm a woodworker. I often make or buy jigs that make doing what I like to do easier to do. Does that make me lazy? Should I keep doing repetitive tasks over and over again the same old hard way when an easier way to do it is readily available? A jig makes it easier, faster and more efficient. In no way does using a jig fit any definition of lazy. If I sat around doing nothing while technology did my work for me, that would be being lazy. By using "technology" to help me do my work/hobby/driving more efficiently, I have more time to do more of what I want/need to do.

Do you use any power tools? Are you lazy because you don't use a hand saw? Heck, you drive. Why not walk everywhere?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
124 Posts
TPMS is nice because not all tires look low when they actually could be. Personal example on my Silverado, one of the tires had a screw in it and the psi was down to 25psi one morning when it was cold. By looking at it, you had no idea it was low. Thanks to TPMS alerting me, I took it in, they found the screw, and we patched the tire, right as rain. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry, gotta call BS on that. Here's the "very definition" of lazy, from multiple sources:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lazy
disinclined to activity or exertion : not energetic or vigorous

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/lazy
averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/lazy
not willing to work or use any effort:

I specifically said that I am willing to do all of the things that technology can do for me. I simply choose to allow technology to do it for me when it's available.

I'm a woodworker. I often make or buy jigs that make doing what I like to do easier to do. Does that make me lazy? Should I keep doing repetitive tasks over and over again the same old hard way when an easier way to do it is readily available? A jig makes it easier, faster and more efficient. In no way does using a jig fit any definition of lazy. If I sat around doing nothing while technology did my work for me, that would be being lazy. By using "technology" to help me do my work/hobby/driving more efficiently, I have more time to do more of what I want/need to do.

Do you use any power tools? Are you lazy because you don't use a hand saw? Heck, you drive. Why not walk everywhere?
😂 this is hilarious on so many levels

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
people also shouldn’t complain when one adjusts the seat in the bathroom and doesn’t put it back the way he found it.
. I know, playing with fire here.
Not at all. You are merely showing that you had the consideration to lift it and not....well, you know. So the next person doesn't have to wonder before parking.

You should be commended for the thoughtfulness and consideration that led you to lift it!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
Not at all. You are merely showing that you had the consideration to lift it and not....well, you know. So the next person doesn't have to wonder before parking.

You should be commended for the thoughtfulness and consideration that led you to lift it!
House rules around here are that EVERYONE puts the seat and cover back down when they are done... No more arguments. Looks better, and no accidental item drops into the toilet - and it is better/safer to flush with the lid down anyway (less aerosolized waste).

-Charlie

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Darn! I forgot to turn on the video so people could see the location of my tongue...........

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
Darn! I forgot to turn on the video so people could see the location of my tongue...........
Well, the horse is already dead from the original post, we might as well get one more... ;)

-Charlie

·
Registered
2013 Ody Touring with 125 on it, never wrecked, escaped VCM so far...
68 Posts
I don't even get mad when I forget to check if the mechanic left my manual Chevy SS in gear and I carelessly let out the clutch when I start it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey
41 - 60 of 92 Posts