Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Meet your Honda AT Filter

425K views 692 replies 168 participants last post by  Buffalo4 
#1 ·
This is what your Honda AT filter looks like.

I will post more pics as I change the filter today.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: wwong57
#4 · (Edited)
Re: Cut the sucker open

babylon5 said:
After you change it will you cut the old one open so we can all see what its managed to accumulate...
How many miles on the filter?
I plan on opening it to see what is in there. Looking at the inside of the new filter...filter media seems to be orange reddish in color and pleated. We currently have 99,100 mile on the vehicle when the slipping started to occur.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I will stick with magnefine...

With the magnefine I have installed in the ATF return line I would expect that it will catch just about everything (and more) that would have ended up in the Honda ATF filter. So I doubt I will ever have to change the honda one... An I can change the magnefine one in about 10 minutes...

The place I get my magnefine's is having a special. $19 (vs 26) and this includes free shipping.

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm

Attachments

#11 ·
Re: I will stick with magnefine...

babylon5 said:
With the magnefine I have installed in the ATF return line I would expect that it will catch just about everything (and more) that would have ended up in the Honda ATF filter. [/url]
How many miles did you have on your vehicle when you put in line the magnefine?????

With the amount of particulate matter that has accumulated over 6 ATF changes on our '02 on the drain plug magnet(I change it twice every year), I would say that Honda has GROSSLY underestimated the interval frequencies for changing the ATF.

I would probably venture to say that the ATF should be changed every 15,0000 and the AT filter should be changed every year.

#671 ·
How many miles did you have on your vehicle when you put in line the magnefine?????

With the amount of particulate matter that has accumulated over 6 ATF changes on our '02 on the drain plug magnet(I change it twice every year), I would say that Honda has GROSSLY underestimated the interval frequencies for changing the ATF.

I would probably venture to say that the ATF should be changed every 15,0000 and the AT filter should be changed every year.
as a prospective 2nd gen ody owner, what do people think about changing the at filer every year?

#14 ·
I tried searching Majestic Honda's website for a transmission filter for the 4-speeds but did not find one. Does the 4-speed have a transmission filter? Does anyone know of an illustration like the one posted for the 5-speeds above? Thanks.

#15 ·
New Dad New Van said:
I tried searching Majestic Honda's website for a transmission filter for the 4-speeds but did not find one. Does the 4-speed have a transmission filter? Does anyone know of an illustration like the one posted for the 5-speeds above? Thanks.
I do not believe that the 99-01 4 speed trannys have a filter. There is no mention of it in the manual.

#16 ·
mathproshs said:
This is what your Honda AT filter looks like.

I will post more pics as I change the filter today.
How did the job go? It looks like a time consuming one.

#17 · (Edited)
DavidGSR said:
I do not believe that the 99-01 4 speed trannys have a filter. There is no mention of it in the manual.
So would I be jumping the gun here by looking into the Magnefine inline tranny filter for my 4-speed? Just doesn't seem right no filter for the tranny. The magnetic drain plug can't be the only source of filtering. I know there may be internal screens but not very maintenance-friendly. I'm seriously thinking about it. I'm going to have to find out how to install a Magnefine myself I think.

#18 ·
Re: Re: Meet your Honda AT Filter

Aardvaark said:
How did the job go? It looks like a time consuming one.
Ok the job is done. I will post pictures and results of transmission shifting. I am going to have to figure out how to host the pics to make it easy for everyone to view.

#19 ·
Total time on this project was one and a half hours. I changed the ATF three times before I removed the filter itself and placed tranny fluid inside the new filter so the system would not be running dry for any period of time. The removal of the filter only took about half an hour.

First remove the air housing unit.

Attachments

#22 ·
Here is what took me the longest as I had to go and get an 11mm or equivalent SAE flexible head gear wrench as it was impossible to move the ABS unit enough to get to the bolts holding the filter head in place.

Attachments

#23 ·
unscrew the filter and viola...now you see it, now you don't.

Attachments

#26 ·
Here is an inside pic of the filter itself. First thing I noticed was that the the bright red spots of the new filter had been replaced by all black spots. Also, there were no visible pleats as I looked around the inside of the filter.

Next step this afternoon....PROJECT DISSASSEMBLY.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.